Skip navigation

1478 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2011 9:10 AM by Frank_B RSS
kprazz Amateur 20 posts since
Feb 20, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2011 6:33 AM

LL 2011 rule change question

did I read it right? A batter advancing on dropped third strike only applies to Softball majors? thanks

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Apr 11, 2011 5:40 AM (in response to kprazz)
    Re: LL 2011 rule change question

YES - in the Little League (Majors) division it's only in Softball.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Apr 11, 2011 7:25 AM (in response to Lou_B)

Kprazz: The word "ONLY".... albeit correctly applying to the specific (2011 change) question as posted by you and reply by Lou;  your question, and answer from Lou, applies to a 2011 change impacting Majors softball.  Nothing has changed regarding LL baseball Rule 6.09(b) allowing a Junior, Senior, Big Division batter to run to 1st base on a 3rd strike not caught by the catcher---IAW with the rule as it reads.

IOW----the word "only"....  as posed by you and Lou, does not mean softball "only"----- to the exclusion of the applicable "not caught 3rd strike" rule in LL baseball.

Frank!

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Apr 11, 2011 8:46 AM (in response to Frank_B)

The question posted was about a rule change fo majors so I replied for "majors" and my answer was that "for majors" running on a dropped 3rd strike applies in Softball but not in Baseball.

My answer did not address the older divisions where it applies to both baseball and softball since the question didn't ask about Juniors/Seniors/Big League and there was no rule change in those divisions.

I also did not address Minors or Tee Ball since those were not asked about either !!!  

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Apr 15, 2011 9:10 AM (in response to Lou_B)

Lou;

You replied totally correct  in keeping with the OP's question......no need to "defend" your absolutely correct answer.

My reply to  Kprazz was in keeping with clarifying the word "only"-----not to be understood-[whether needed or not]--in his mind, that a dropped-3rd-strike  rule only applied to softball.  Superfluous info on my part?? Yes!  But not unusual on these boards!!

Funny thing about that  softball rule as passed for IMMEDIATE implementation by the 2010 Congress, and Ok'd IMMEDIATELY by the powers that be in Williamsport.

It embodied the following wording under: "Summary and Implementation" when passed by the Congress.

"Beginning IMMEDIATELY for the Major Softball Division  players may advance on a dropped third strike, little league WILL PERMIT local leagues to adopt a rule requiring players NOT to advance. This OPTION applies only for the regular season."    [ caps mine]

Unless I somehow missed it-----the Congress option offer never made it into the softball rulebook, or elsewhere.

I do recognize that Williamsport has the luxury of  "tailoring" adopted Congress rules to their satisfaction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C'mon Red Sox, let's get rolling with a win tonite!!!

They have not "lost" a game in the last two days. 

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...