Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1881 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2011 7:42 PM by flyzippio
Jarrod_Dumas Amateur 21 posts since
Apr 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2011 4:11 PM

First 5k on June 19...  Advice?

Hi everyone,

I am a new runner, and I have set a goal to run in the Portland Sea Dogs Father's Day 5k on June 19, 2011, in Portland, ME.  I am running to get in shape for my wedding, and to overcome my fear of running (I used to run the 1-mile in Middle School, and for some reason have a strong aversion to running).  I'm making good progress, am in Week 4 of the C25K program.  I am on track to reach the 5k goal a few weeks ahead of my race.

Any advice for a new runner?  All thoughts of encouragement, advice on nutrition, rest, etc. are welcome.

Thanks,

Jarrod Dumas

Rumford, ME

C25K entered March 20, 2011

C25K graduated April 22, 2011

http://flyingonfoot.wordpress.com

• bloodhound22 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 21, 2011
    1. Apr 10, 2011 5:42 PM (in response to Jarrod_Dumas)
    Re: First 5k on June 19... Advice?

Well I am glad to see that your running, As a runner for 5 years one year and hopefully 3 more in NCAA, Looks like you got the training down, now with eating all that is somthin unique to most runners, your gonna have to test differnt nutirtion and see how you do, one thing is no matter hot or cold, always hydrate, you want your urine to be clear at least two times before you race, overhydrate the night beore which might wake you up in the middle of the night but sleeping is one of the worst dehydration, that is if its a morning race, if it is a night race you can drink the day of. What i usally do is chuck two water bottels down in 5 mins then once i do that i just sip every 10-15mins. Run smart and run your own race do not worry about anyone but yourself its your first race no need to worry about compettion yet. Have fun be relax and do not go out so fast, run smart. One more thing, make sure you wake up atleast 3 hours before a race and eat two hours before a race, this can be differnt for some ppl, I need three hourrs before i can race some ppl can wake up 10 mins before a race and win it, same thing with eating it can be differnt but that is the averge hours for people to wake up and eat. GOOD LUCK.!!!

Matthew J. Arpino

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Apr 10, 2011 5:51 PM (in response to Jarrod_Dumas)

Congrats on running again, eat healthy, follow the c25k and you will be fine at your 5k.  Good Luck and Have Fun!

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    5. Apr 11, 2011 12:27 PM (in response to Jarrod_Dumas)

I'm right there with you - I used to run cross country and was a track distance runner in High School.  Once I graduated I stopped cold turkey and didn't give it another thought until 15 years later.

One thing thats be tough for me is the forget what I knew about myself in the past.  I can't do what I was able to do 15 years ago but when i think about running it's hard to forget the past.  I can't run an 16 or 17 minute 5k anymore.  I'm also sore after runs and I wasn't 15 years ago.  So for me setting realistic goals is a good motivator.

Taking that first step to get back out there is one of the hardest.  You're already working on that step!

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    7. Apr 11, 2011 7:42 PM (in response to Jarrod_Dumas)

Support is always helpful.  Keep coming to this forum.  This has been a great place to come to when you need that extra push or a pat on the back.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points