Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8035 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2011 5:40 AM by njswimmom 1 2 3 Previous Next
EliNoah Amateur 13 posts since
Apr 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2011 5:41 AM

Any others doing C25K and taking it slow?

Hi all, I am new to running or any other sport. I am a 43 year old mom of 3 and I have never done sports of any kind. At least not since about 7th grade!  I tried C25k several years ago and failed the first day, but I have an iphone now and I can use the app to tell me when to stop and start so it is much easier.

My husband started running about 18 months ago and has fallen in love with it. He is living for races now and I began to feel left out. I decided to try the program again, especially now with the app to tell me and I don't have to think about that. I am way out of shape. Although I am not seriously over weight. (about 15 pounds or so) I have no muscle tone or stamina or will power, it seems.

But I want to complete this. I want to change my life. I want to learn to love running.

So far, I have done Week 1, 3 times (10 runs). I just felt like until I could do it and not give up, then I should not move on. I am finally in a place where I can consistently do it, but now I am scared to move on because 90 seconds seems like a lot. I plan to run the week 1 schedule one more time tonight and then on Wed. I am going to move to week 2.

Has anyone else done this? I read all these threads and see that people are talking about moving on and they are able to complete it! Is there anyone like me who has found even week 1 to be nearly impossible?  Right now at the end of each 60 seconds, I am like "oh, thank goodness."

Just looking for others who are in the same boat I am in, where even this schedule is hard but still trying to find the motivation to do it.

Thanks,

Renee

PS. If anyone has the app, can they explain what the numbers mean at the bottom?

• daliem Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    1. Apr 11, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to EliNoah)
    Re: Any others doing C25K and taking it slow?

Hi Renee,

I'm doing something similar.  I'm 45, have 2 kids - my oldest is 5 and my youngest is 13 months old.  I decided I needed to get into better shape to be able to keep up with him!  And, I can only claim 'baby weight' so long before it's just a poor excuse!  Oh wait...that's what it is now.  I decided on C25K because I've seen others be successful at getting into shape by running and you can do it anywhere, really.

At first, I thought I was failing hard until my husband pointed out that I can repeat weeks until I'm comfortable.  Today marks 5 weeks since starting the program, and I think I'm going to do one more W3 podcast before moving on to Week 4.  So far, I found Week one to be the hardest - I did it 7 times over two weeks.  I couldn't even run 60 seconds w/out getting totally winded.  I came home the first night so upset, thinking there's no way I'd be able to do this.  But, I am pleasantly surprised that I have been able to complete Week 2 and move on to Week 3, which has 3 minute runs in it.  I use a podcast (no iPhone, just an old iPod) and when the woman came on explaining there would be a 3-minute run in the Week 3 plan, I almost backed out to Week 2 again but decided to try it.  I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to complete it.  I'm not concerned with time, but with being able to increase my endurance.    I think you'll find on Wednesday that you can do it!

I did sign up for a 5K on the 9th week of my starting the plan.  I really don't think I'll be ready to run it all, but it's a run/walk and I can definitely walk. I find that is one of my motivations to keep going - I know I signed up for this, and I want to complete it.  Also, when I feel down, I think of my kids and how doing this will make my a better mom for them.  I go to the gym at night, which is hard in itself after a long day but my husband is very supporting and encouraging and that helps, too.

Keep up the good work.  Good luck with Week 2 on Wednesday - you CAN do it!! 

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    3. Apr 11, 2011 12:01 PM (in response to EliNoah)

Hi Renee

I'm so glad to read your post, because I've been very discouraged lately.  I did 5 runs of W3, and finally moved onto W4.  it has 5 minute runs in it, and I cannot do it.  I've been so discouraged wondering why so many seem to breeze through this when NONE of it has been a breeze for me.  When I first started I couldn't do a whole minute run.  Now I'm surprised that 1 1/2 minutes seems like nothing and I can do 3 minutes if I slow it down.  I have never been good at any aerobic activity, even when Jane Fonda made it so popular (telling my age now!).  I loved lifting weights, but aerobic?  That makes me sweat and breath hard.  So here I am, middle aged and trying to run.  I can walk at a very brisk pace without any effort, but.....Well, anyway i've been considering giving up but your post has helped me realize those who were struggling like me probably just didn't post.  I guess as long as we're out there trying we're doing better than sitting on the couch. 

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• Janine28004 Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4. Apr 11, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to EliNoah)

Any idea what your pace is like?  Are you using an app that tells you that?  Perhaps you are going a bit fast for a beginner.

Janine

Milwaukee, WI

Do Life Tour Chicago 5K -- July 4, 2011

Madison Mini Marathon 5K -- August 20, 2011

http://doingitforlife.tumblr.com/

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    6. Apr 11, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to EliNoah)

Renee,

It's been a struggle for me too.  This week I had the first experience of not being able to finish one of my runs and it was terribly discouraging.  I've read so many posts by other newbies already running 10 minute miles, etc and I'm blown away by that.  I'm huffing and puffing at a little over 4 mph while running.  I just try to keep telling myself that I'm moving at my own pace and there's nothing wrong with that.  I'm repeating a day of Week 4 tomorrow, and I remind myself that it's okay to do that.  I'll move on when I feel ready to.

Chin up!

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• MonieMc Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    7. Apr 11, 2011 4:41 PM (in response to freesia777)

You all are doing so awesome!! I have had a few setbacks and am "supposed" to be on W3. However I am still at W1. Don't give up!! You can do this! Perhaps, sprinkle in the current week's "impossible" session with a previous week's Say, do 1st run at W3 then next run at W2, or whatever works. It's kind of like the Pyramid approach to weight lifting. I have decided to use this approach to help build endurance as I heal.

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Sept 3 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

• johnmcc22 Pro 100 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    8. Apr 11, 2011 4:52 PM (in response to EliNoah)

I just restarted and yesterday finished W4D1, I'm a slow runner, I completed the C25k a month ago but I repeated a few weeks here and there, to make sure I was going at my pace.
    You can do it.

1: Essential2life 5k 4.7.2012

2: Long Branch Half Marathon 5.6.2012

3: Newport - Jersey City 10k 5.12.2012

4: Newport - Jersey City Half Marathon 9.23.2012

5: Atlantic City Half Marathon 10.21.2012

Facebook add me as a friend if you like http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1215856639

• jenpeel63 Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    11. Apr 11, 2011 6:06 PM (in response to EliNoah)

FINALLY! A post that doesn't include how easy every run is and how refreshing it felt to run extra......My 22 year old son and his friend run with me. They keep telling me how good I am doing, but I see all the posts and think....maybe it should be easier.

I am 48 years old and have never run before. I was supposed to have back surgery last month, but I started walking and my back started feeling better. I got bored walking and decided to try C25K. I just finished W3D1!!!! I was nervous ALL day, but somehow, I did it. I almost didn't move to W3 as W2 was not that easy. I was not comfortable at ALL. The boys talked me into trying it to see how close I could get to making it and it worked! I just did it. My advice is to try to move up and not think about how good or bad you felt during the W?D3 run. Try it. You might surprise yourself.

I personally think that all of you have made the decision to MOVE more. As long as you are moving for 30 minutes, you are getting the decide effect. If it takes longer to complete the C25K...then so be it. Every week for me is a victory!!

Thank you so much for your posts! They motivated me to respond and keep going!

Jen

• Sertcelik Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    12. Apr 11, 2011 6:30 PM (in response to EliNoah)

I found the C25K to get suddenly agressive after three or four weeks and yes it takes most people some extra time to complete it.  Hang in there!!  After three and a half months I can finally run the distance but it was not easy.   Best of luck!!!

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    13. Apr 12, 2011 3:34 AM (in response to jenpeel63)

Jen - exactly how I feel!  Finally someone else who this is not coming easy for. 

Renee - way to go!!!!  We are going to make it.  I got up this morning at 5, went to the Y and ran on the track.  I managed to complete W4D2.  I'm blown away.  I couldn't even complete the short runs Sunday.  I guess early morning is the time for me.  I'm too asleep to tell myself that I can't do it.

We're gonna do it girls!!!!

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• littledetails Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    14. Apr 12, 2011 11:35 AM (in response to EliNoah)

i was discouraged by the same thing at first (i only started the  program two weeks ago)..but then i was reading a thread with someone  saying they recently had knee surgery and has asthma but was biking like  20 miles and walking 10 miles, yet still breezing through the program  with little trouble.. so i figured some people may just be stretching  the truth and not to let myself be brought down by it.
    i was trying to be as faithful to the program as possible but after  having to do the first week twice, i decided to go back and re-evaluate  what was/wasn't working for me. since i'm having to use a treadmill  because i currently don't have the time required to go the park, it is  easier for me to keep track of my pace and being able to stay consistent  will be helpful to me.
    i'm not having any trouble with my breathing which was a HUGE surprise  to me because when i was running in college that was my problem.
    after re-evaluating the program, i worked out a new program for myself  that is still pretty much the same program but it's stretched across a  longer period of time (12 weeks). i'm sure i'll end up being able to cut  a few days off the new program once i get going, but i like to have  something solid to work toward while at the same time knowing it is  somthing i will be able to attain. it keeps my esteem up and doesn't  keep me stuck in a discouraged state where i'm likely to give up.  yesterday was w1d1 of the new program and i was able to go a full 25  minutes and it felt great because before, i was only able to get through  about 12 minutes (15 on a good day) before my muscles were so stiff it  was physically not possible for me to go any farther.

(another thing that motivates me is using the 'shoe tracker' tool  on my Active Training profile and being able to see the miles logged on  my running shoes..that helps to remind me that i am, even if it's just a  tiny amount right now, getting something accomplished)

so yesterday was a huge boost for me and now i can't wait for tomorrow for w1d2  *excited*

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points