Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1707 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2011 12:09 AM by aj01
WhizKid71 Amateur 10 posts since
Jun 2, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2011 7:10 PM

Tarahumara Running - Have You Heard?

My cousin who has completed some pretty amazing distance runs, and even some triatholons recently sent me a cool link to a YouTube video of Christopher McDougall

talking about being born to run.  In the video, he talks about a remarkable tribe of indians in northern Mexico called the Tarahumara.  This was the first time I had heard about these people and their amazing running abilities.  I quickly checked out some related videos, and was mesmerized by their story.  I struggle to stay on the treadmill for a whopping 2 miles, yet these people, whose entire culture revolves around running, routinely log 500 miles in a week!  A 50+ mile run per a day is not uncommon.  I checked my running log for last month...  I logged a measly 14 miles for the entire month.  Click Here for more...  http://toppdog89.com/blog/?p=100

Has anyone else experimented w/ barefoot running, or have any knowlege on these incredible people?  I'm fascinated!

Thanks,

Ken Kopasky

Ken Kopasky

DreamWorld Blog

Change Your Perspective, Change Your World

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 11, 2011 8:09 PM (in response to WhizKid71)
    Re: Tarahumara Running - Have You Heard?

No offense, but this is kind of old news.  And there has been quite a bit of discussion on barefoot running here.  Maybe do a search on "barefoot" to see some of the threads.

Len

Len

• ModernMaven Pro 135 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    2. Apr 12, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Yep, old news.

But if you are fascinated, I suggest picking up Chris McDougall's book "Born to Run."  It's a good, inspiring read.

COUCH TO 5K GRADUATE- JULY 2009

08/15/2009-  Patrick Joyce Scholarship Run 5K (Lakewood, OH)  30:00

08/29/2009- Outrun Ovarian Cancer OROC 5K (Cleveland, OH)    28:50

09/12/2009- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland, OH) 30:08

10/17/2009- Mid Town Classic 5K (Cleveland)  30:15

05/02/2010- Lakewood Hospital Ambulance Chase 5K 27:45

09/11/2010- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland) 28:50

10/10/2010- Towpath Half Marathon (Cleveland) 2:16:28

10/23/2010- Army Ten Miler (DC) 1:42:12

03/12/2011- St Malachi 5 Miler  45:50

04/23/2011- Run for Cover 10K (Dallas, TX) 58:18

04/23/2011- Cleveland 10 Miler 1:34

05/15/2011- Cleveland Rite Aid Half Marathon 2:05

07/05/2011- Warrior Dash Ohio 36:40

08/06/2011- Gazebo Gallop 5k 26:20 PR!!

08/14/2011- Run Jane Run 10K 57:40 PR!!

08/20/2011- OROC 5K 26:15 PR!!

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    3. Apr 12, 2011 9:06 AM (in response to WhizKid71)

Be careful with barefoot running.  The views on barefoot, or minimalist (minimalist being shod with a very minimal shoe, like the Vibram Five Fingers) come in two camps.  The first is gung-ho, full speed ahead, "This is the greatest thing since orange Gatorade" philosophy.  This camp believes that everyone should be running  barefoot.  Many times, these people come to barefoot running because of an injury that barefoot running has cured.  I'm going to put in my two cents here.  Barefoot running did not cure them.  The good FORM that barefoot runing brings cured them.

The second group that you see on the BF running issue are those who are less enthusiastic.  They will say that while BF running has its advantages, it also has its dangers in relation to stress fractures and other injuries.  They would say that it might be good to be used as a TOOL, but should not be used on an every day basis.

You will have to do your own research and decide where you land.  I subscribe to the theory that if you have good FORM, you will be able to avoid many injuries.

Also, take what Mr. Mcdougal says with a grain of salt.  Remember...he is trying to sell books.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Apr 12, 2011 10:08 AM (in response to thedevotedrunner)

thedevotedrunner makes some very good points.  Some runners are converts to barefoot, some use it as a tool, and some can't see the point.  I do some barefoot running, but for me it is a tool, just like speedwork and long runs.  I think you can learn many things about running form barefoot, but it's not a cure-all, and it's not instantaneous, and it has to be approached gradually.

Christopher McDougall did precious little barefoot running in his book.  Ditto for the Tarahumara, who mostly run in sandals.  I would have to say the book is more about minimalist running than barefoot.  McDougall got his good form and relief from injuries the honest way - by working long and hard with several coaches - and he talks about it in one chapter of his book.

Len

Len

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    6. Apr 13, 2011 12:09 AM (in response to WhizKid71)

I fall into the barefoot running used as a tool camp.  If you're trying to improve your form then give it a try.  Just don't go very far, at first.  Also, your typical thick-heeled trainers will make it hard to maintain good form.  You'll constantly fight your shoes.  I'd recommend something fairly light without alot of heel-to-toe drop.  Once I tried running barefoot for a very short distance then running in my Nike frees, a mid/fore foot strike felt much more natural.  Until then, it just never felt "right".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...