903 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2011 11:51 AM by LADixon RSS
Laefe Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2011 9:37 AM

Counting Laps

Hi folks - my first post.

First, by way of introduction:

I am by no means a super-serious swimmer, but I have always had a juvie-type arthitic condition that has mainly affected a couple of toes and has prevented me from being a runner or participating in impact/pounding-the-pavement-type activity.  I swim, mountain bike, surf and ski with no limitations, however, and am able to maintain a fit and trim physique despite the issues.  I was on the high school swim team (not a good swimmer but passable), so I have enough technique to lend some decent form to my swimming.  My laps are not fast by any measure, and generally consist of a simple rule: one continuous workout, freestyle with flip turns, once I touch the bottom of the pool I'm done.  I do about 60 to 80 lengths of a 25-yard pool (1500 to 200 yards).

While eveything I have said is open to comment or critique (please!), my main question is this - I find that I occassionally lose count of my laps ("Hmmm - is this 15 or 14?).  To keep the mentalk numbering simple, I count up and back (two lengths) as one, so that a 60-length workout is a count of 30 laps.  To further confuse me, I use the Swimp3 (love that device!), and I'm sure that doesn't always halp me concentrate on the lap number.  Any ideas or shared technique/experience on how to keep track?

Thanks!

• Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    1. Apr 12, 2011 9:58 AM (in response to Laefe)
    Re: Counting Laps

I use a SportCount counter/stopwatch. It fits on your finger and has a single button on top that is easy to use. It counts laps, splits, average lap, gives fastest/slowest. It's pretty nice. Here's a link:

http://www.sportcount.com/products.php?category=SportCount&PHPSESSID=98efc0b5b1eec9793b21aa2d609364b5

Joe

• LADixon Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 11, 2008
    2. Oct 23, 2011 11:51 AM (in response to Laefe)
    Counting Laps

Re: counting laps

I don't go to this site that often, but was browsing and saw your question...  You may have solved your problem with the counter/stopwatch.  Just in case you didn't...

For me it is easier to count the yards then convert.  As an example;  if you going to do 2000 yards.  You could count 20 x 100's or 10 x 200's.etc.  This will also start to help you with pace work.  You can start working those 100's or 200's (or whatever you choose) individually.  Like decend (make faster) 1-10 of the 100's.  This will start you to work at getting faster.  You will be surprised how you will start to do that in your open water swims.  You'll end up making the second lap faster than the first.

Another way is every 4th length do a drill, or different stroke, or kick, then just count those...

Maybe this will help you???

Good Luck

Lou Ann

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points