Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6087 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 5:35 PM by Julie Ann Hackett RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Justine Knox Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 10, 2011

Thegirlwholoves?

I am a new runner as well.  I started yesterday and feel like I am ready for anything and everything.  In a more realistic world, its going to take time. I started walking at work twice a day for 20 min.  Sometimes you have to do what works for you.  I cant wait until I can run a marathon.  I know it is far away, but it will happen one day.  Take it day by day.  You will see a difference real soon.

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

thegirlwholoves2much wrote:

I'm a perfectionist by nature...

Tish, you gotta lose that in this sport.

Take it slow and you'll be fine and again, congrats on taking the first steps out the door -- those are the hardest ones to take.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011

girlwholoves,

Break up your workout into 10 minutes 3 times a day.  Start with a nice, brisk walk.  Do it every day, split in 3 sessions, until you are itching to go longer.  Push the walking pace a little as you get accustomed to it.  Once that's comfortable, start doing 30 minutes all at once, still just walking.  When you can walk comfortably at a nice, brisk pace, THEN start your Couch to 5K program.  The key to the C25K program is not to overdo it and injure or demoralize yourself.  I just finished the 9 week program, and I still remember how hard it was to run 60 seconds the first week.  But Tuesday, I ran 5K without stopping for the first time ever!  You will get there.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• stevedav Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011

If you are out of wind after a minute it noise to me like you are going to fast. Slow down and take your time. It might be annoying at first but with patients and hard work it will get better. You should be adept to convey on a dialogue as you run so perhaps use that as your guide. Good luck and hold us posted! Again healthy you for getting out there!

hormone repalcment therapy|testosterone therapy

• BklynGal38 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 15, 2011

Hi thegirlwholoves, I am about to start incorporating jogging into my walking (within the next week or two) and stumbled upon this site when I was looking for the best ways to go about it.  I read all the responses from everyone and felt great after reading them.  It gave me the extra boost I needed.  I too am overweight and want to be in better shape.  Going to work I started getting off the train a few stops before my stop and walk the rest of the way, its about a mile.  Don't get discouraged.  All the replies are right, take it slow.  This is not a race to see who can be first, it"s about you doing this for you.  I am ready to begin my journey to a better me.  You can do this.  I remember when I would run to catch the bus and be out of breath.  Now if I am running late and have to run a block to catch the bus I am no longer out of breath.  I have also started to see changes in my legs which I am excited about.  Stick with it, even if you have to walk.  Like the replies said, take it slow and build up to it.

I would also like to thank all those who replied because it has motivated me as well.

Good Luck to all

• Eric20967 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    20. Jun 15, 2011 1:01 PM (in response to BklynGal38)
    Re: New runner who needs a lot of help PLEASE!!!

Hey - just a quick note to the OP and others - good luck and keep at it.  I have never been really overweight - 10 to 15 lbs overweight is about all I have dealt with so I do not know where you are coming from - however, the principles are the same.

1) Take it easy

2) Take it slow

3) repeat

I thought this was baloney so I did my own thing when I started.  I did not get proper shoes (I was unemployed so $100 for a pair did not seem feasible), I started out trying to do too much too often (hey, I had not job so I was at the gym 1-2 hrs 5 days a week - mostly doing cardio with running).

The result?  shin splints , pulled muscles and not actually enjoying running. I made it through - but I wish I had followed the advice from others and the Couch to 5k program first.  I am like you and wanted to see immediate results and all it did was set me back.

This year, I have chosen to follow a program to do my 2nd marathon.  I started earlier and started slower.  My pace goal is 10 min mile so that means I am usually running my slowest at 11 min/ mile or so.

The reason I said that last part is to encourage you that it will happen.  You have to trust the program and take it easy in the beginning.  There is something to be said about pushing yourself some - but you have to listen to your body.  If you are getting constant aches (not just sore muscles), back off.  Watch what you eat - not about calorie intake but what you eat when.  Sometimes the right item will help you with a quicker recovery.

You can do it - as someone said , one step at a time!

• shannondynamic Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011

First, Congratulations on your journey!! It can be very hard to get out there and get started, but every little bit helps. I have a friend that has started running with me. She was 245 lbs when she started, down to 200 now(she is very proud of this and won't mind me posting it) and can now run 2 straight miles. She has been running with me since the end of March.  When she first started running she too had trouble with her breathing. I suggested to her that she try counting or singing, softly, not loudly, like a whisper, or just mouthing the words, to help control her breathing. I saw this in a Billy Blanks Jr workout. She did and it has really helped her. I'm pretty sure others have said this next part too, but I'll go on and mention it,  don't try to go to fast. Work on a slow jog with distance, then build speed. Most importantly, don't give up. Everyone has bad days, but it does get easier.

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010

You are an inspiration!  Keep it up.  You have gotten some great advice here.  Let me add something....try to mix up where you are doing your activity to keep it interesting.  Dont do the same course every day, go out to the woods or anywhere else thats a little different.  Keep up the great work and you WILL get the results you want!  When you are feeling impatient and want to progress faster keep in mind that a healthy weight loss is typically only 2 to 3 pounds per week. The human body does not like to give up weight as your brain considers that to be a safety net in case of famine.  If you do it too fast your body will rebel and crank up your appetite.  If you go slow and steady and allow your body to slowly adjust to the changes, it will be much easier.  Good luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• shannondynamic Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011

I thought of a couple other things that might help. On the days you don't run, try to do some other cardio activity. Tae bo, or another kick boxing workout, or a dance workout, or jump roping. Those activities will help to build up your cadio and stamina, which will help when you're running.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 221 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

One of the tips I got when I first started running was if you are running at a good pace you should be able to say the Pledge of Allegiance in a normal conversational tone without gasping for breath.  If you can't do this you need to slow down.  There's nothing wrong with walking some and running some.  I've been running for 10 years and still have bad days where I need to walk and run.  Like others have said, you need to listen to your body. 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points