Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1081 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2015 3:34 AM by Mishima01
arslp Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2011 11:40 AM

Everyone else is way faster!! How to train in group?

I worked up to week five of C25K prior to February.  I did not run in Feb, March.  Have started back and had several friends who want to start C25K.  I started with week one with them, going by the time, not distance.  They are way ahead of me after running the one minute, then walking for 90 seconds.  However, I am able to run up to five minutes without having to go back to walking and they are breathless after the one minute.  I am new to running overall.  Is this a difference in pace?  How should i train with these other ladies?  Do I try to match their pace?

• RobNadeau13 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 16, 2011
    1. Apr 16, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to arslp)
    Re: Everyone else is way faster!! How to train in group?

It sounds like you're keeping a better pace then they are. When they do the one minute run, they run faster than you but aren't able to sustain that speed. You can use an excercise like that to improve your cardio. It sounds like you guys are doing two different work outs, I would try to do what they are doing if you want to train with them. Good luck!

04/16/11 - Devildog 5K - 19:15

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,438 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 18, 2011 1:18 PM (in response to arslp)
    Re: Everyone else is way faster!! How to train in group?

If they are truly "breathless after the one minute" then they are going too fast and need to slow down.  After each running portion, you should feel like you've worked, but not completely spent.

Len

Len

• Mishima01 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 31, 2015
    3. Jan 31, 2015 3:34 AM (in response to arslp)
    Everyone else is way faster!! How to train in group?

I have run 5Ks anywhere from 1830 to 1930. I want to break out of this, I honestly don't really train much but I am going to begin training. I want to find a training plan that would fit me, I dont think these c25k and 5k in under 24min plans are the right idea. I fully understand these plans are great for a lot of people and I am not claiming to be better than anyone. I just want to find a more intense 5k training schedule for people that run roughly 19 minutes. Thanks in advance.

KazUyA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points