Skip navigation

5944 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 4:47 PM by ldronet RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2011 7:19 AM

Mud Chasers - Sparks, MD Reviews

Share your experiences with the Mud Chasers - Sparks, MD below Back to event details page.

• FSUMet Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 10, 2010
    1. Apr 18, 2011 7:19 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Mud Chasers - Sparks, MD Reviews

I blame the weather for part of it.  But the obstacles where not challenging enough.  Too much open space.  The course did not hype me up like I thought it would.  The music I thought would have been playing DURING the races.  When they were playing, it did not sound good.  The type of music was ok.  Like most races, I thought there would have been free water and free snacks (oranges, bananas, energy type food).  The beer garden area was very small and tuff to stay put in there.  Just not worth the money paid.  I was hoping for much more.  And more than 24 hours after my race and the results are not yet online...  Although, the MUD was GREAT!

• LaRai Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    2. Apr 18, 2011 10:18 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first obstacle race...my husband and I did it together..we had a lot of fun! I have two recommendations, more photographers (I thought there would be someone at the end of the race taking our picture) and better music. The bands didn't play the whole time, and there wasn't any other music playing when they weren't.  I had also thought there would be more going on....but overall we had a great experience.  We look forward to next year.

• Run Red Robbin Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    3. Apr 18, 2011 10:19 AM (in response to Guest )

I had a blast. This was my first mud chaser event. I spent a lot of time picking myself up:-} I thought there were too many mud pools at the beginning. Would have expected them along the course. Also, thought there would be a beverage station after the 3.5 mile mark.

Thank you for alerting me of the parking issue the night before so we could plan ahead. The final obstacle near the finish line, was akin to quick sand, loved it!

Boyfriend almost had to jump back in to get me out!

Thank you Mud Chasers!

• Susan006 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2009
    4. Apr 18, 2011 10:22 AM (in response to Guest )

I agree with the first reviewer... the course seemed shoddy and was a little lame. Where was the the 11th obstacle, "Blazing fire"? Where was the water station? And I was astounded that there was no free snacks, fruit, or at least WATER at the end. On top of it, we had to pay for parking?! I've never in my life in all the races I've run had to pay for parking and encountered not one free snack or bottle of water at the end of the race. The shuttles were scarce and we had to wait in the cold for almost a half-hour to get back to our cars. And we had to pay extra for this service! I probably won't do this race again.

• fatbuford Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    5. Apr 18, 2011 10:23 AM (in response to Guest )

I understand the weather played a big part in the event.  You couldn't have asked for a more sloppy situation.  It seemed a bit disorganized, but it was the first and I am sure next years event will be better.  I enjoyed it.  The obstacles were not as challenging as I would have hoped for, but the wind......my g-d was it howling!  That wind added that extra element of difficulty.  Where are the pictures and the times??  This was my first off pavement race and it was a lot of fun.  Next is the Warrior Dash!!

• Donna Clendaniel Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 7, 2008
    6. Apr 18, 2011 10:29 AM (in response to Guest )

Mother nature provided the hardest obstacles - CRAZY wind, low temps, and tons of rain the day prior.  The first half of the race was horrible - the obtacles lame.  The last half was better.

The race was very disorganized, our wave started 40 minutes late.  By 11:30 music was just getting started.  There was no water, no snacks, nothing.  The fire dept provided hosing off services (thank you), but it was not ample for the number of people brought in.  The minimudders was seriously lame and not coordinated in anyway, nor supervised.  I hope it gets better....I love mud runs but this was just not at the top of the list this year.

• MLacko Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 31, 2009
    7. Apr 18, 2011 10:30 AM (in response to Guest )

Thought the race itself was great, just a little bit too windy. Thought it could have been more organized and thought out better. Does anybody know when and where the results will be posted? See ya next year.

• JayDubb76 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    8. Apr 18, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to Guest )

Apparently there was a location change about 3 weeks before the event.  It was originally supposed to be at Oregon Ridge, out in the woods with more natural obstacles instead of a zig-zaggy relatively flat and boring course thrown together on the side of a hill.  Also, I showed up in the afternoon and there were only about a dozen other people there.  From what I heard things were a lot more happening in the morning.  Overall I am glad I did it, but it did not live up to my expectations.  And oh yeah... where are the results?

• jessicark Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 29, 2008
    9. Apr 18, 2011 10:34 AM (in response to Guest )

This was possibly the worst organized race I've ever participated in. Clearly, they did no research on how to organize a race.

• craigro Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 24, 2009
    10. Apr 18, 2011 10:37 AM (in response to Guest )

Positives:

-Good obstacles; several climbing ropes/walls and 3 mud pits!

-Chip timing and wave starts

Negatives:

-Poor choice for course; boring open field with flags snaking back and forth to make the distance.

-No water/free food for runners? That's a pretty basic requirement for ANY race. Take care of your athletes!

-No place to wash off afterwards; not even a garden hose.

-No changing tents/rooms (unless they counted the hay-filled barn that was wide open to public view). Did they realize everyone would be covered in freezing mud?

-Unscrupulously charged extra $$ for things that are usually included in the price of registration: $10 for shuttle from parking lot, extra $$ for the only available food after the race etc.

The race itself was Ok, but the lack of planning and hospitality made this event unfriendly. I understand that this was to benefit a cause, but for $65 entry fee they skimped on a lot of the basics. Save your money for better organized mud runs.

• ktkellerman Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    11. Apr 18, 2011 10:44 AM (in response to Guest )

Well my race was not until 1pm, so I can not speak for the earlier races where it seems to have been a little more "congested".  But while I was waiting for the shuttle bus, I was speaking with one of the staffers.  Apparently, Oregon Ridge backed out of the contract at the last minute.  Oregon Ridge did not realize that a race called "Mud Chasers" would involve actual mud and did not want such an event in their facility.  That said...I think the organizers did a pretty good job with such short notice.  Yes, I would have liked more obstacles but I enjoyed myself either way. 

I can't speak to the $10 parking charge as I did not have to pay.  I guess they stopped that after a certain point.  And there was plenty of water and oranges when i finished the race. 

I was overall satisfied and had an awesome time.  Maybe they could schedule it a little later in the season for warmer weather.

• BPS1976 Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    12. Apr 18, 2011 10:55 AM (in response to Guest )

I wrote a long blog post about it:

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/2011/04/race-report-2011-mud-chasers-35-sparks.html

I had a good time, even though I don't think these mud races are quite my cup of tea.

Overall, though:

Positives:

Challenging course with good obstacles -- the general sogginess of the course added challenge (I'm not sure if the uneven ground would have been more or less treacherous in drier weather).  Sadistically, just after the climbing obstacles -- the most fun part of the course --as I'd dried off from sun and wind, there was another mud pit to crawl through

Free Beer

Good swag -- Mug is nice, shirt is nice, bottle opener should at least have a mudchasers logo on at. (A chain would be helpful too, for those of us who don't have dogtags)

Good food available -- Hightopps had burgers, hot dogs, and roast beef for sale.

I didn't hang around since I was by myself, but the bands and overall event seemed like it might have been fun to hang around at longer if I was with friends.

Negatives:

For $60, it would be nice to have been given water, and perhaps bananas or bagels or something.  I had a 10:00 start time, and if there was free post-race food, I didn't see it.

Poorly marked where to start, etc.  Some signage would have helped.  I couldn't tell if the start was the start, or something for mini-mudders.  The choatic start to the 10:00 (I think they just let people go individually -- they let me start at like 9:55) was helpful -- there weren't 100 people at once getting stuck on obstacles.

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/

• Logan3975 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    13. Apr 18, 2011 11:23 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first mud race and I have to say that it wasn't what I expected. I realize that the location had changed, however I still thought it would be in woods and more of an obstacle course than open field running. I understand the ran caused issues with not being able to part near the venue, however charging us for transportation when it wasn't our fault we had to park so far away was frustrating. Plus the group I was with didn't realize we had to  pay for the bus until we were in line (we did not receive any communication regarding the cost for the bus).

The good:

1. Challenging obstacles when there were some.

2. Cup, shirt and dog tag (although there was no logo on the dogtag or chain). I would rather a bumper sticker than something that doesn't show the logo or even have a chain to hang it from.

3. Bag check (since there wasn't supposed to be one)

4. Free beer

The bad:

1. The zip-zag trail for running was not only frustrating but boring.

2. Unorganized event.

3. No place to wash off. Someone said the water truck had to go and fill up. We waited 1/2 hour for it and decided to just head back to the car all muddy.

4. No water stations throughout the race.

5. No food stations throughout the race. Races always have fruits, drinks, etc.

6. Paying $10 bucks for a bus.

7. No music. Not sure when the band actually started playing. Would have been nice for those of us who races 9am and 10am to hear some music. Even when we left around 1pm there was still no music playing.

Things I would have organized better:

1. When you sign-in, check IDs there and put the drinking bracelet on. We went to get a drink after we checked our bag and they required ID.

2. Don't hand out the souvenirs until after the race. If we didn't have a bag check, everyone would have to take that stuff back to their car to drop off.

3. Provide a girls tent and a boys tent for changing. They do that for the Polar Bear Plunge.

4. Setup a place to hose off your hands and feet, at least. Have two trucks, so when one goes to refill there is still one taking care of us racers.

5. For days where it is colder, have those outside heaters where people after the race can go and warm up a bit. Not for those before the race but for those who complete the race.

6. At the finish line, have a digital display that shows what your time is as you run through. Other races have those and they are nice to see in the moment.

My bottom line is I still had fun but found certain aspects of the event frustrating. I will do this again but only if I see that it is organized better. Maybe wait until May so it isn't so raining and still a bit cold. I think that's it! Thanks

• greg12377 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 19, 2011
    14. Apr 18, 2011 11:23 AM (in response to Guest )

I agree with the earlier post, it was possibly the worst organized race I've ever participated in.  Also, the results were never posted at the event, and people are still waiting to see how they did.  Don't know how you can put on a race and not post results.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...