Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

643 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 8:19 PM by camcat82
camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2011 6:39 AM

Is it ok to run?

I managed a rather spectacular fall down the stairs today and in an effort to make sure my son (who was in my arms) wasn't hurt I've done a fairly good job of bruising myself up - since I didn't break my fall and slid/bounced down a few steps lol.

I have a reasonable sized bruise on my calf and a really large bruise on my buttock/lower back. I also jarred my back. I'm due for my next run on Friday, and was thinking if I'm feeling ok and it doesn't hurt too terribly that I'd still give it a go. As long as I'm not in pain would it be ok to run?

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Apr 20, 2011 7:45 AM (in response to camcat82)
    Re: Is it ok to run?

I think you are fine as long as when you run it does not change your form.  If any of the bruising causes your gait to change, rest!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,162 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Apr 20, 2011 8:02 AM (in response to camcat82)
    Re: Is it ok to run?

I'm sure the circulation will do you good, as long as you perceive  the pain as superficial, and you are not running IN pain. You will know  soon enough if the muscles and joints themselves are damaged to the  extent that you should not run. There is the chance that you may run differently because of pain, and cause other injuries that do not already exist.

If you do not suspect there is a chance of internal  bleeding or other damage, bear in mind that pain and injury do not  always go hand in hand. If in doubt, get it checked out. The run should  help you assess this. Look for changes in thirst, appetite, color of  urine and solid waste. Meanwhile, make sure your diet is rich in fresh  fruits and veggies for faster recovery.

Woops.. I almost forgot... congratulations on saving your baby!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...