Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1755 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2011 9:36 AM by IronMakeover
jkowgill Rookie 4 posts since
Apr 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2011 8:12 AM

Finding triathlon gear online - Kona Square

Hey everyone! I just finished my first sprint triathlon last weekend. I finished in 1:28:09. Not too shabby. I did it on my old road bike so I think I could go faster.

Anyways, in our race packet one of the sponsors had a flier for their company, called Kona Square. Its at: http://konasquare.com

They said I could list my bike there for free. Seems like a new company, but it looks like a safe site and its only for triathletes, so I may try to sell it there. Or maybe I'll just keep it, and buy one. Either way, I will def look for another bike, but prob a used Tri bike this time. They look so different. I didn't know they were so expensive. My bike is a $400 Schwinn from the mid 90's. I think it had cobwebs in the gears before I started training.

Just trying to plan my next move. I want to do another race. Maybe a bit faster too. This triathlon stuff is addicting! And so is looking up different types of gear. Looks like they have some other gear too. I guess my whole tri club is going to be using this site sell their gear to other tri clubs.

Does anyone have any feedback on buying tri gear or bikes online? What to look for?

Thanks!

Jim

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 21, 2011 8:43 AM (in response to jkowgill)
    Re: Finding triathlon gear online - Kona Square

Fit is very important when buying a bike and if you don't know much about bikes and what size to get I'd suggest highly going to a good local bike shop and they can set up w/ a bike that fits you and your budget.  getting a good deal online might now workout if you buy the completely wrong size bike.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Apr 21, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to jkowgill)

yep and when you need an emergency repairs if you havea good relationship w/ the local bike shop they can help you out. this will happen.

I have bought a bike on Ebay in the past and it worked out well for me.  if you pay thru paypal you can file a dispute if there is a problem and that will hold up the payment.  I believe you can order insurance.  you can contact UPS/FEDEX/US postal about their rates for big packages.

remember if a deal sounds too good to be true it probably isn't. ask the seller questions to see if they sound like they know what they are talking about. and check their history. I have seen bogus bike postings before on ebay ($2k bike for $400)  and sometimes they are fakes or scammers (the old I'lll send you a travellers check for more than it's worth you send me a check back scam ect.)

definitely check the local bike shops if there is an issue they are right there

good luck and remember the most important part is the engine.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    5. Apr 21, 2011 2:08 PM (in response to jkowgill)

I'm normally not one to discourage anyone from getting a new bike (I have five), but since you have only done one triathlon so far, you may want to wait until the end of the season to buy a triathlon specific bike. Two reasons: one, they are good for one thing only and that is time trials/triathlons. The geometry and handling is different from a standard road bike. You may want to wait to see if tris are a passing fancy or a lifelong addiction. Secondly, next fall/winter this years models go on sale and you can get good prices at the end of the season. I got a 2010 model for about 40% off. This also gives you a chance to try out various bikes from local shops to see what you like, what fits, and what fits your budget.

As you work on all elements of triathlons, even getting clip-on aero bars for a road bike will help get you "free" speed. You generally have to move the seat forward to get in a better and more comfortable aero position. A local bike shop can help you there as well. Get your bike tuned up; even a 90's Scwhinn isn't overly heavy and can get you from T1 to T2 without too much of a time penalty. After a year of training and racing and if you are still psyched about tris and jockeying for podium position, then get a tri-specific bike. Just my two cents. Good luck and have fun!

BT

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    7. Apr 22, 2011 9:36 AM (in response to jkowgill)

Lots of good ideas and suggestions here & excitement about triathlon --- ♥ it!

You want a bike that fits and is safe. And above all, you want to take care of that motor that makes the bike go!

I wrote about bike fit recently for active http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Fit-On-the-Fly-With-Guru-Dynamic-Fit-Unit.htm. I agree, getting a new bike is something to consider and not rush into. Take your time, learn about it, see what store you fit with best etc.

This is one of my favorite articles http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/karma.shtml I love the pictures, it helps me understand key differences between road/tri bike position.

Keep in touch here & let us know how the rest of your training and racing is going!

Have a great weekend,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points