Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1112 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 10:51 PM by thedevotedrunner RSS
Amanda733 Rookie 7 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2011 1:35 AM

Starting C25K today and had a question for others

I am planning on starting this evening when it gets a bit cooler.

I just wondered about other exercise - I do exercise dvds and go to the gym - when to them? Do I do other exerise on my running dayas or the rest days?

I am so looking forward to my first session tonight I had a pratice session on sunday but fell and whacked my teeth and nose and felt very silly but I need to get through my first session just to prove I can do it.

Take care

Amanda x

Just started C25K

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    1. Apr 21, 2011 6:01 AM (in response to Amanda733)
    Re: Starting C25K today and had a question for others

I just finished Week 6 Day 3.

The general consensus I´ve seen is do what your body tells you. Experiment and see how your body reacts.

I run early in the morning (4:30am) because I live in Ecuador just south of the Ecuator and it is too hot and humid during the day. In the morning it´s about 72-75deg and much better, and I have a working schedule that makes this make sense. But with this I find I can´t work out the night before or else I´m dragging. I can work out later the same evening for a two-a-day or before 6pm on my ¨rest day.´

There might be certain types of workouts you can´t do consecutively right now. Later you probably can when your body adapts to the new exercise levels.

So again, everyone is different so play around with your schedule until you find one that energizes you.

Good luck!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Apr 21, 2011 10:51 PM (in response to Amanda733)
    Re: Starting C25K today and had a question for others

Generally, it is better to to the cross training on your non-running days.  Although you COULD do the workouts on the same day as a run, doing a little every day is a better workout habit to get into than doing a lot on a few days. 

Good luck on your program.  Just take it slow, and have fun.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...