Skip navigation

1457 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 2:17 PM by BT.ROB RSS
Kate1202 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2011 6:42 AM

Training with stress fracture

Hi folks,

I am training for my first Ironman race this season and a month ago I developed a nagging pain on the top of my foot.  After a little internet research I was convinced that I had extensor tendinitis (an inflammation of the tendon that runs along on the top of my foot), but after several weeks of anti-inflammatories, icing, and resting (somewhat), the pain was not improving.  I finally bit the bullet and visited an orthopedist.  An MRI revealed that I had a stress fracture...  LESSON LEARNED:  If it's painful to the point where it does not feel any better after a couple days, TAKE THE TIME AND VISIT A DOCTOR!

It's been two weeks that I've been in a walking boot, and I think it's improving, but I'm not pain free yet.  I've been reluctant to give up the swimming and biking.  I don't notice pain while I'm biking, but sometimes when I swim (if I'm not careful with the flip turn).  Am I okay to continue in intensity with the biking and swimming?  I'm making more of an effort to stay off my feet otherwise (i.e. minimize my walking).  I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice about this situation.  I really hope I can still compete in the Ironman this summer!

Thanks,
Kate

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    1. Apr 21, 2011 7:17 AM (in response to Kate1202)
    Re: Training with stress fracture

Sorry to hear of your injury - must be tough psychologically, too.  It sounds like biking is probably okay.  You might consider not doing flip turns or just doing one-legged flip turns if that's when your foot hurts while swimming (staying completely away from flip turns is probably easier).  I'd think that doing those activities will help you make your race and stay mentally prepared, though.  Remember to ease back into things when your foot is better.  Even a thumbs-up from a doctor doesn't mean you're 100%, and the worst thing you can do it reinjure yourself even closer to race day.

Last spring, I had a stress fracture in my femur right before a half marathon.  I ran the race, was in lots of pain for a very slow 2 hours, and then didn't run for a few months.  Moral of the story: don't do stupid things.  If you take care of yourself, you'll end up much happier in the long-term.  Good luck!

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 21, 2011 8:47 AM (in response to Kate1202)

OH NO! so sorry for your troubles. definitely stay off it and be a good patient to let it mend up.  what did your doctor say about how long you'd be in the boot? definitely keep w/ the swimmng and cycling as long as you are careful.  adjust your goals for this year and be resigned to the fact you may have to walk more of the marathon than you previously wanted. will the doctor allow you to use an elipitcal trainer yet?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    3. Apr 21, 2011 2:17 PM (in response to Kate1202)

You are asking us? Ask your doctor!!! In my non-medical opinion, swimming is probably ok just skip the flip turns or use the good foot, biking with hard soled shoes also probably ok, just watch out for hard upward pulling.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...