Skip navigation

1084 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2011 1:37 PM by joes87 RSS
Matt_Chase Amateur 7 posts since
Mar 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2011 3:14 PM

Fundraising for Little League- What works for you?

We are looking for ways to improve our fundraising.  We are a small farming district little league with low numbers.  I have heard about leagues that ask for money in lie of volunteering.  I have heard about leagues who use tickets for lottery drawings.  What actually has worked for your league?  I'm looking to my peers for some experienced tips.

Thanks-  Let's play ball!

Matt

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Golfing is big around here so many leagues hold Golf Tournaments.

In fact, I'm playing in one this coming Saturday!

I know of a league that gets lots of prizes donated and they have a big raffle.

Tickets are something like $40.00 or $50.00 each.

You get dinner and they have a band/DJ for entertainment.

They make a real big night of it.

It's a great time and the place is always packed!

• joes87 Expert 46 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008

@Matt -

We're a league that uses volunteer fees.  They are not a source of income.  They are refunded to the parents after their work either a shift at the concession stand or as a base ump (if qualified) at one of our rookie or minor division games.  We charge the parents $50 up front (up to $100) per family.  They receive a refund of their money the weekend after they work their shift.  As happens in most leagues a small handfull of dedicated parents do all the work.  We found that charging a vounteer fee forces the other 90% of the parents to step up and help out in some small way.  About 5% of our parnets opt to pay the fee and not work their shift.  The money is used to pay umps to cover shifts the parents are not working.

We do seek sponserships for the league.  $400 gets your banner up at the field and your business name on the back of one teams jersey.  My compnay sponsers.  I tried to get them to put Chico Bail Bonds on the jerseys but the league wouldnt let us.

• joes87 Expert 46 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008

BTW, I heard of one league that held movie night at the fields.  They rented a huge blow up screen and a sound system.  Showed baseball related movies (The Rookie, Rookie of the Year, etc). They charge an admission fee and sell concession during the movie. I guess its a pretty big hit.   We holding that one in our back pockets in case we need to raise some cash one of these years.

Also, do you have a baseball training academy any where near you?  The White Sox have a youth training facility in our area.  They allow the leagues to rent it out for lock ins.  They charge a small rent (I think its like 200 or 300 for the night).  The fee includes use of the facilites (batting cages, basketball courts, training rooms, etc) for the night.  When our league did it a couple of years ago it was a huge hit.  We charged $30 for the night and allowed everyone to invite friends.  Kids loved it and the parents loved it for the free babysitting for the night.  We ended up with something like 75 kids.  We provided snacks, water and sports drinks for the kids.  We ended up profiting about $1500 for the  night.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points