Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2308 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2011 6:43 PM by ORcoastrunner
Road2Slimdom Amateur 31 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2011 9:23 AM

Advice/Comments on .........

.... my legs ... I did W1D3 at 7.30am this morning, on my first run, my legs felt like lead, they didn't improve much to be honest, my walking was fast today without trying, but I felt the running was harder.

Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do about this?

On Monday I'm due to do W2D1 ... instead of running for 60secs, I'm gonna be running for 1min 30secs, surely I shouldn't have felt like I did this morning

Could it be to do with food?

I'm doing Weight watchers, this week I've not used hardly any of my 'weeklies' ... they are optional ... I've struggled to eat my dailies ... do you think I could possibly not eating enough and this cause the lack of leg power ... my breathing felt ok, my heart wasn't pounding, I just felt like I had concrete trainers on.

Any advice, comments or feedback would be great, I'm so enjoying this, I can't wait for Monday and W2D1 to be here, so if there is anything I can do to help Monday be better, then I'd like to do it

Thanks in advance

Deb xx

Postive Thoughts Create ~ Positive Feelings ~ Create Positive Actions

Started WW on 10th Jan 2011 ~ 1st 8lb's loss so far

BMI down to 27.54

I can and I will do this ~ nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough!

• CallMeLegion Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    1. Apr 23, 2011 9:52 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)
    Re: Advice/Comments on .........

My guess would be that since it was early in the morning your muscles were still "cold". I would recommend stretching a bit before you run. Other than that the pain or "heavy legs" could just be muscle fatige from your previous run. I just started the C25K and my legs feel usless the day after a run.

• roufarunnershusband Amateur 29 posts since
    Apr 12, 2011
    2. Apr 23, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

The short answer is "yes, this is probably normal."  I have been running for 9 months now, and have gone from not being able to complete a mile to running a 9.5 mile run just this morning.  I've gone as far as 13.5 on my own, and have started running local races for fun.  But along the way, I have had great runs, good runs, bad runs, and downright nasty runs when my body just did't want to do it.  Me legs have given up, my knees have given out, but after a little rest or a little change in diet I was right back at it.  Remember, your body still need energy, especially if you are now running, so you need to fuel it.  Even while dieting, you need to make sure you're eating enough.  Good luck and stick with it!  Every hard day that you push through makes you stronger in the end!

Roufa Runner's Husband

Phil 4:13

http://www.runfunner.blogspot.com/

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    4. Apr 23, 2011 10:33 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

I think the first three weeks of C25k is the hardest. The main problem is if you've been pretty sedentary your legs don't really remember how to exercise hard. They are kind of like a rusty hinge, even if you put some oil on it it needs to work itself through its paces a few times before it goes back to functioning properly. It also can be tough because of the stop-start nature in the first weeks. You need to do this because your cardio/pulminary system isn't used to the greater exercise but many runners find, me included, that it takes 5-10 minutes to become comfortable in your running form and pace. The good news is if you stay with it right around week 4- week 5 your legs will get lighter, the running will get easier and you will feel great during the run and after.

I just finished W7D1 - 2.5 miles and while the last 0.5 miles was a struggle it really wasn't horribly bad, and when I stopped I felt so good and energetic. My wife can always tell when I've done a workout because I am so energetic. It will happen to you too. Give it time.

One thing, make sure you are not going too fast, which seems to be the greatest mistake of those new to running. Of course if you are literally starting from the couch then any running is hard, however you should only be jogging just a bit faster than walking. Speed and distance will come later as your fitness developes.

Good luck! And get out and kick some asphalt!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    5. Apr 23, 2011 10:38 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

Deb

You can to some gentle, light stretching before you go out - you just don't want to get real energetic about it because your muscles are still cold. I think it would be better to do them at your home before the 5 min warmup. Then after you do your workout and cool down with some walking, then do some more extensive stretching, since the muscles are warmed up they can take greater range of motion without the risk of injury.

For me I start with about 3-5 minutes of stretching, concentrating on my legs and back since I tend to have tightness there. Then I go on my workout. AFterwards I then take a much more leisurely time to stretch everything out. It seems to work for me. I think the mostg important thing is experiment a little and see what works best for your body.

Good luck!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    8. Apr 23, 2011 12:01 PM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

I am just two weeks past completing the couch to 5K program.  I remember how hard it was to run just 60 seconds, and I agree that there were days when my legs just felt like lead.  I still have days like that sometimes, but now I can run over 3 miles even if I feel that way!  You will definitely have good runs and not-so-good runs.  The good thing about the bad days is that when you have a good day (and you will if you keep going!) it makes you really appreciate it.  The key is sticking with the activity.  I wish I could tell you that after a few weeks, you won't have any more "lead legs," but at least you will know that it's normal sometimes, and you'll reach your goal anyway, as long as you stick with it.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    10. Apr 23, 2011 6:43 PM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

I totally agree!  I used to think that the "runners' high" was something that happened while one was running.  Now I believe that it is the feeling I get after I finish!  I'm always pumped, even on my bad days.  I also have found that I am just itching to run on my rest days, but I keep reading about the importance of the recovery day.  Right now, I am babying a little twinge in my knee because I have my first race EVER in 1 week, and I don't want to really injure it before the race.  But I was just dying to go out there today!  I think I need to find a good recovery day activity.  I sure could use some upper body training, but it's just not nearly as much fun.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...