Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1100 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2011 7:11 PM by RunninUgly RSS
RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
Dec 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2011 5:58 PM

Using a Heart Rate Monitor

I just started using a heart rate monitor with my Garmin 405 and I am  finding it hard to keep my heart rate in my targeted zones. I ran  sprints to get my maximum heart rate and checked my resting heart rate  over a couple of mornings when I got up. I find that my heart rate  creeps into the 90 to 95 percent zone even on my LSD runs and the only  way I can get it down is to walk for a bit, which I hate doing. I feel  fine while I am running and afterwards so I don't think I am getting  into my anaerobic zone and my long runs are 10 mile or so. Anyone else  having this problem. I am thinking of just going back to pace and how I  feel to gauge my workouts.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 24, 2011 8:06 PM (in response to RunninUgly)
    Re: Using a Heart Rate Monitor

The hardest part of using a HRM is knowing your maximum.  Your zones are off unless your max is accurate.  The formulas work for maybe 50% of people.  The best way, of course, is to get it tested in a lab.  You could also try some of the methods in this article.

http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

Len

Len

• racitraci Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    2. Apr 25, 2011 12:46 PM (in response to RunninUgly)

Ooooh I feel your frustration, and know it so well!!!  Have you set up your monitor for you...not based on a calculation?  When I first got my monitor, I had looked at all the equations and picked what was spouted to be best....NOT!  We are unique animals, and can not fit into a mathematical equation.  Our hr will be different than our best running buddy (even when our results are similar).  I found the best way to set up my hr monitor was to do hill repeats, with equal efforts unitl the last one where I pushed it as hard as possible.  My heart rate was way higher than the formulas outcomes, and I had a very low resting rate.  I read "Heart Rate Training for Dummies", and found it very inspiring.  You have to find the max for yourself, and then make sure you use high and low days... push the into the high on the Tempo's, and stick to the low on the resting or easy days.  Eventually you will find it easier to stay in the low (without walking), and it will be harder to stay in the high zones.  You have to be commited!  I really do feel your pain!  I hope that you give it a try, and keep me posted.

• racitraci Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    3. Apr 25, 2011 1:12 PM (in response to RunninUgly)

I love your name by the way!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    4. Apr 25, 2011 3:33 PM (in response to RunninUgly)

RunninUgly,

You don't say how long you've been running or your average weekly mileage or whether you've increased your mileage recently.

I found that I was regularly pegging out my heart rate when running when I wasn't in running shape.  I'm finding that again as I get back to running after an injury.  Slow runs now seem hard, and my heart rate shows it.

Another thing that bears note is that most of runners run too fast on their long runs.  Typical training advice calls for running the long run at 1:30 to 3:00 minute / mile slower than the goal pace for your race.

Finally, you don't say if you are hitting 90 -95% early or late in the run.  If you are just building up to 10 miles, the extra mileage could cause your heartrate to climb as you get to the end of your runs.

Good luck,

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...