Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

8315 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2011 6:17 AM by Frank_B 1 2 3 Previous Next
tankmjg24 Expert 53 posts since
Jan 31, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2011 7:40 PM

Batting Glove Under Pitching Glove

Hello,

This occurred to me tonight in a Little League Major Softball Game.  This can apply to baseball too though and I do believe that both the softball and baseball rule are the same when it comes to defacing the ball.  Now to my question.  Pitcher has an all black glove with a black and red batting glove underneath.  I have always taken the approach of what I have read in the RIM in to instruct the pitcher not to wear a batting a glove under their pitching glove.  Coach was alright with this and told her player to not wear her batting glove, but then the pitcher and her father who was a spectator (who has coached in the past and is very adamant on his knowledge of the game) said I was flat out wrong and that his daughter was going to wear her batting glove and for the coach to protest the game.  Now another twist to the situation is that the DA was present and had a connection to the team and he also agreed that the pitcher could wear her batting glove.  Now my question is how is this handled as the rules and the RIM contradict theirselves.  Below is how so:

(b) No pitcher shall attach to the glove any foreign material of a color different than the glove. The pitcher may wear a batting glove on the non-pitching hand under the pitcher’s glove provided the batting glove is not white, gray or optic yellow.

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:  If the pitcher wears a batting glove he/she may not then rub the ball while still wearing the batting glove. He/she is only permitted to rub up the ball between the bare hands.

So according to the above the pitcher is allowed to wear a batting glove, but then later under applying a foreign substance to the ball it says:

I

NSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:  If a pitcher were wearing a batting glove under his/her fielder’s glove, it would be very difficult to rub the ball “between the bare hands.” Simply, don’t allow the pitcher to wear a batting glove and you avoid the problem.

I have always followed these comments and told the pitcher to remove their batting glove and have not a problem with it other than tonight.  I was a tad irked that the DA inputed his opinion when this occured (he honestly could use a rules touch up plus I considered him a fan due to his connection with the team) and talked with him about the situation and what the RIM said.  His response was do not read too much into the rules and ignore the comment section of the RIM as it carries no weight.

So my question for you all is how do I handle this in the future? 

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Apr 28, 2011 9:53 PM (in response to tankmjg24)
    Re: Batting Glove Under Pitching Glove

It's really this simple

1) It is legal for the pitcher to wear a batting glive underr the regular glove as long as it meets the color restriction. It says so right in the rules. If you deny them that right you can be successfully protested.

2) If they do wear the glove, then they cannot rub the ball with it.  The RIM comment is basically telling you to tell the pitcher to take off the batting glove if they want to rub up the ball.

The RIM is official. Don't let the DA tell you otherwise.

• Mark_in_SD Legend 207 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Apr 29, 2011 8:00 AM (in response to tankmjg24)

So long as the glove isn't white, reflective, or otherwise distracting, it is perfectly legal to wear it.  The pitcher can't rub the ball while wearing the glove and almost all pitchers beyond LL Majors don't wear them, but it isn't illegal.

May 25, 2007
    4. Apr 29, 2011 8:41 AM (in response to tankmjg24)

You can't make them take it off because the rules allow them.

What you CAN do is say "IF you want to rub up the ball you need to take the glove off when doing it".

And merely touching the ball with it isn't a problem. They haven't applied a foreign substance unless something was actually applied, and they haven't rubbed the ball (the concern bieing it alters the surface).

Relax - enjoy the game.

May 25, 2007
    5. Apr 29, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to tankmjg24)

Why would you eject her for touching the ball with the batting glove?  Just take the ball, inspect it, tell her the right way to rub the ball and not to do it again, and give her another ball.  No biggie.  If she keeps doing it, maybe you have to take stronger action, but the issue here is that she simply doesn't know the rules.

May 25, 2007
    7. Apr 30, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to tankmjg24)

Yes you are misinterpreting.

No, nicely or not you should not have asked her to remove the glove.

And neither the pitcher or her Dad or the coach is entitled to go crazy - right or wrong they have to behave. Their avenue is a protest.

May 25, 2007
    8. May 2, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

I agree with Rich.  You are mininterpreting.  Every LL rules clinic I've ever attended from Local up to Region has always taught that it is perfectly OK to wear a batting glove on the glove hand so long as it wasn't distracting.  Only if the pitcher wanted to rub up the ball did you make them take it off.

• STL__Ump Pro 133 posts since
    May 2, 2001
    9. May 2, 2011 8:33 AM (in response to tankmjg24)

A bit OT. Is there anything related to this for OBR... No batting glove under the pitching glove?

Other than this...

(a) The pitcher’s glove may not, exclusive of piping, be white, gray, nor, in the
    judgment of an umpire, distracting in any manner.

I don't see anything that would prohibit a pitcher from wearing said batting glove under his regular glove.

May 25, 2007
    10. May 2, 2011 10:55 AM (in response to STL__Ump)

Not legal in OBR:

1) Pitcher may wear "a glove"  -  not "gloves".

2) MLBUM (and do NOT nitpick "golf" vs. "batting"):

2.10 PLAYERS WEARING GOLF GLOVES

A pitcher is not allowed to wear a golf glove while pitching. Other defensive players may wear a

golf glove on their glove hand but they shall not rub the ball with the golf glove on their hand.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. May 2, 2011 12:45 PM (in response to tankmjg24)

Dad told the coach to Protest.

Let's say he did Protest, that would be an interesting hearing/ruling.

We lost because Sally didn't pitch well because she couldn't wear her "lucky glove" and she was mentally distraught/distracted.

She had never given up more than 3 runs in a game and we lost 5-4 so obviously we would have won 4-3 if she was allowed to wear her glove !!!

• STL__Ump Pro 133 posts since
    May 2, 2001
    12. May 2, 2011 12:50 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Thanks for the info!

May 25, 2007
    13. May 2, 2011 1:39 PM (in response to Lou_B)

We have pretty consistently over the years told coaches to protest even if it's just to get the issue formally on the table - so all the participants get an education.

So why not now?

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    14. May 2, 2011 2:10 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Rich - I have no problem with the Protest.

Maybe if the umps got together and talked it over the pitcher might have been allowed to wear the glove.

If not, as you say, hopefully this can be a learning situation.

I was just wondering if the call stayed as is, and the team lost so the Protest goes to the Committee, what would the Committee do with regards to the game result?

I sure hope they would say not allowing the the pitcher to wear the glove had no effect on the game but who knows, nothing surprises me anymore!!! 

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...