Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1255 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2011 6:35 PM by HelenM2002 RSS
ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
Apr 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2011 1:51 PM

What have I become?!

I just finished the C25K program April 10th, and signed up for my very first race--EVER--with my running buddy.  Our race is in another town 2 hours away, so we decided to make a girls' weekend of it.  Race fees paid for Saturday am, hotel booked for Friday night, and we also scored tickets to a matinee showing of Wicked.  We planned to leave at noon on Friday so we could visit the running store and get fitted for good running shoes (for future training purposes).  I am loving running, which as I said I am doing for the first time at 43, and I look forward now to my running "fix," and feel cranky if I can't go out and do it!  On my rest days, I am looking forward to my next run. 

SO, as I am on my way out of the office today, I get a call from my 11 y.o. son, who is sick.  D@#^!  And my husband is unexpectedly on call.  And my mother, who is our backup babysitter is out of town.  And now I am stewing and wondering how evil it would be of me to foist my sick child onto the teenage babysitter who has not worked for us before--BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO RUN MY RACE!

Just looking for a little support from my fellow newbie runners...  What do you do when life seems determined to get in the way of your best-laid plans?  What kind of crazy person have I become that all I can think about my sick kid is--why did it have to be TODAY?!  Sigh.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Apr 29, 2011 4:37 PM (in response to ORcoastrunner)
    Re: What have I become?!

I'm also 43 with 3 kids at home and  had this happend to me as well, I was upset but then I thought it's not the only race and there will more. Good Luck in whatever you decide!

• roufarunnershusband Amateur 29 posts since
    Apr 12, 2011
    3. May 1, 2011 6:22 PM (in response to ORcoastrunner)

It is definitely addicting, especially after your first race.  I am always thinking about when I can get another run in.  But, always remember there are will always be races.  Run when you can, rest when you must, but always put your family first and you'll do fine.  Congratulations, glad everyone's healthy!

Roufa Runner's Husband

Phil 4:13

http://www.runfunner.blogspot.com/

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    4. May 1, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to ORcoastrunner)

Glad your son is feeling better and you got your first race under your belt! As a mom, I know how hard it is to try and balance everything -- my son isn't quite 6, so I look for races where I think that there will be a playground or some other thing to amuse my little guy. And I also have to make sure that my mom or husband are free so that they can hang out with him while I run.

I agree that you are being a very good role model for your son! Are there any races that your son might want to do with you?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...