Skip navigation

3389 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2006 12:25 PM by jkenny5150 RSS
hschulze Rookie 7 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2005 5:12 PM

Underwater radio

Hi! I'm actually a marathon runner who may (in the next few years) transition into triathlons - either way, I'm wanting to add more swimming into my routine for cross-training (and variety). I have heard of the underwater MP3 players like the SwiMP3, but do any of you know about an underwater one that is just a radio and cheaper? I don't swim enough to buy a full-out MP3 player, but a radio would be nice....thanks!

Heather

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jan 3, 2006 10:29 AM (in response to hschulze)
    Re: Underwater radio

hschulze,

I don't know where you can find the product you're looking for, but I think you'll be impressed if you research the swimp3.  I'm not sure how cheap you can get a standard mp3 player, but I don't think the swimp3 is that high priced considering the technology involved in developing any underwater electronics.  See previous posts on the swimp3 for more info.

Check out www.finisinc.com.  You can use my username and password to get a 25% discount.  Username: jkenny, Password: openwater.  After discount, including shipping, you are looking at around $160... not so bad.  If also comes with media monkey software that can convert any music CD into an mp3 to put directly on your player.

IF you do find a regular underwater radio for sale, please let me know, as I would like to learn more about it.  In terms of sound and product quality, I think you are going to get the best value from the Finis product.

• bluegroovejg Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. May 15, 2006 8:54 PM (in response to hschulze)

I am a long-time swimmer.  Over the years I have tried several other less expensive underwater radios and have found them to be complete disasters! The earpieces usually spend more time falling out of my ears than staying in, even when I pull my cap over them.  And half the time I can't even get a clear radio signal anyway, even in outdoor pools.  I have not yet tried the MP3 players, but I am about to purchase the Finis SwiMP3.  From all that I have read, it is definitely worth the extra bucks.   The earpiece doesn't really fit into your ear, but rather, rests on your cheekbones and transmits sound vibrations to your inner ear (know as bone conduction technology) providing excellent sound quality with no water interruption and no hassle of earphones constantly falling out of the ear.

But, if you really want to try something less expensive, here are the options I have found:

1. Swimmer's Choice FM radio at storesonline.com for      $39.95. 

2.  SnapSight's H20 Man Waterproof MP3 player thru swimoutlet.com for $74.95.

3. Oregon Scientific MP3 with FM radio thru swimoutlet.com.  for $109.95.

Good luck and happy swimming!

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. May 23, 2006 12:25 PM (in response to hschulze)

bluegroovejg,

I definitely agree with you.  The Finis Swimp3 is definitely the best thing I've seen on the market.  Sound quality is excellent and you don't have to deal with moving earpieces, etc.  I have a new web discount for that product...

www.swimyourbest.com

enter the coupon code, "openwater"

that still should be good for 20% off at checkout.

Let me know what you think.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...