Skip navigation

1541 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2006 12:03 PM by zaffinator RSS
four4him Rookie 7 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2006 1:22 PM

Lost Endurance, Peaked Too Soon? (2nd Posting)

(My 1st post didn't show up, so I updated this w/ more info)

Brief background.  I started Jan. 1st on a 12 week Sprint Tri plan and raced on Mar. 25th.  Took a week off and began training for a May 20th Sprint race.  I bumped up my training and discovered after the fact that I was on track for a Olympic distance, so I stayed w/ it being that I'm doing one in August.

On April 24th I took a recovery week in my Triathlon plan, which was according to the olympic plan at week four, I don't know how I came to the descision to do the recovery, unless comparing the time and training I was doing coinciding with that plan, or trying to stay injury free being that I'd been hitting it hard since January.  Anyway I trained pretty light thru April 30th. I had just swam a descent 1200 yard freestyle prior to the recovery.

On May 1st I eased back into training and experienced slower times, but attribute it to the easy week.  However, from then until today, May 11th, I am struggling just to finish a straight 600 yard freestyle before I start my drill work.  My muscles are fine, I'm just really, really struggling with having enough lungs.  My times are getting better, not where they were and endurance out right stinks, I feel like I've gone back to where I was in February.

Could I have peaked too soon, I don't feel I'm over training, I swim 1700 yards, three time a week.  Any thoughts?

• zaffinator Pro 123 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 11, 2006 3:48 PM (in response to four4him)
    Re: Lost Endurance, Peaked Too Soon? (2nd Posting)

well,  from what I've experienced and read, when it comes to swimming, you do not need the amount of recovery as you do from say running and biking. you will lose endurance after a week off. but then, seems like you should gain it back quickly...unless you are a total newbie to swimming? then maybe it will take longer.

but then also, for Olympic distance swims at least, 1700 might not be enough yardage. I think you should build on the distance you train at. don't increase too much too quickly though. add a little at a time. it's the only way to build up your endurance. you should train at more volume than you will be doing in a race.

how much time do you swim at each session? (ie, how long does it take you to do the 1700 yards during training?)

Jul 9, 2007
    2. May 11, 2006 3:57 PM (in response to four4him)

oh...and I should say that stroke efficiency is really important too. so before building on distance, make sure your stroke is down pat

if you have trouble with the stroke, maybe a swim clinic or workshop and/or stroke analaysis would be good.

hope this info helps!

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. May 12, 2006 7:21 AM (in response to four4him)

So, you're only having trouble with the swim, not the bike/run, right?  I agree with the previous post that you need to be consistent with swim training, and 1700 is not enough if you're trying to build endurance.  You will have good days and bad days, but if you gradually build volume and intensity, you should see benefits over time.

www.swimyourbest.com for all your swimming needs

20% discount coupon code: "openwater"

jkenny5150@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2007
    5. May 12, 2006 12:03 PM (in response to four4him)

ah...also think you should be doing your main set without paddles and buoys. a little swimming with those tools is helpful, but not the full main set.

mix it up a bit with drills and longer sets too. pyramids are cool....for example, starting with 100, then doing a 200, then a 300, then 400 (or however long you can go up to, then increase it when you are ready), then head back down to 300, then 200 then 100.

or do sets of 200s, or even 300s! basically, work up to intervals longer than 150s

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...