Skip navigation

1304 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 6:38 AM by ronjones22 RSS
PJ_ Expert 43 posts since
Apr 24, 2000
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2011 10:29 AM

Need ruling on 3rd-World play

Rule set:  Any level where blocked extra points can be returned by a non-kicking team for point(s).

Team A scores a tying TD as the 4th Qtr clock expires.  With no time on the clock a game winning P.A.T. is attempted and blocked by Team B.

Team B returns the blocked kick, in what looks like a would-be score / conversion.  However, the kicking team tackles Team B's return man by the facemask 5 yards short of crossing the goal line.  He is flagged.

What next??

PJ

btw.....as a small-school hs baseball coach, 2 hr bus rides home can often take some strange conversation turns......hence my ? here.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. May 6, 2011 7:51 AM (in response to PJ_)
    Re: Need ruling on 3rd-World play

As a baseball umpire, I do like to check on other sports' rules.  So here is my take.

I base my judgement on a play where the Redskins got a turnover at the end of the game and were similarly fouled.  They got a play to beat the Cowboys!

OK, here goes.

When Team A's PAT is blocked and Team B recovers to advance, Team A is now on defense.

As they tackle player B illegally, the half CANNOT end on a defensive penalty.

Team B gets one play from scrimage on an untimed down at the ultimate point of enforcement of the penalty.

That's my guess!

Mike CVUA

(See me on the baseball side)

• ronjones22 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    2. Feb 22, 2012 6:38 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Need ruling on 3rd-World play

Looks like this got resolved then?

Will not give in to lethargy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...