Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2745 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 7:53 AM by HelenM2002 RSS
LadyOfThStars1 Amateur 16 posts since
Aug 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2011 10:54 AM

Running Apparel with Pockets?

I've been trying to do some searching for short sleeved/tank tops with zip up pockets large enough for my phone and a key mainly.  I wouldn't mind finding some compression shorts with the same.  I just am not coming up with too many options!

What do you use that is reliable, comfortable, and won't end up with my belongings falling out somewhere along my runs?

Thanks you ahead of time!

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own.
And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.” - Dr. Seuss

Upcoming Events:

7/16/11 - Pittsburgh Ruckus (Obstacle Course)

10/22-23-11 - Myrtle Beach Run 5k/HM

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 3, 2011 11:13 AM (in response to LadyOfThStars1)
    Re: Running Apparel with Pockets?

I'm not answering your question directly but have you considered a spibelt or ifitness belt?  You can place your phone, keys, money, ID in the pouch and go without care.   I use an ifitness hydration belt on my long runs and have a smaller pouch for short runs to carry a key and phone.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 3, 2011 11:23 AM (in response to LadyOfThStars1)

It's a personal choice on refueling.  I'm a bigger guy (6'2" 220), heavy sweater and I will typically go 10-12 on my long runs so I will usually drink about 12 oz of water on my run (sometimes more) and take in one serving of GU Chomps.   If you felt fine going on your runs, you are probably ok. 

The spibelt is more carryall where as the ifitness belt I have has hydration components.  I wore it for my half this weekend to save a few stops along the way.   The nice thing with either is that they are snug enough that they will not bounce when you run even if you fill the pouch.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    4. May 3, 2011 1:44 PM (in response to LadyOfThStars1)

Race Ready has shorts and tights with built-in mesh pockets.  Normally I just use them to carry keys, ID, gu etc but this weekend I did a trial with a lightweight camera in one pocket of the capris and it didn't bounce around.

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. May 4, 2011 6:33 AM (in response to LadyOfThStars1)

This was discussed here a few months ago.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the thread.  Somebody in that thread found a source of shirts with pockets.

Len

Len

• PACTwink Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    7. May 4, 2011 7:34 AM (in response to LadyOfThStars1)

So I am quite hippy and the SpiBelts and similar items always ride up on me and annoy me. I've found a couple of items that works really well.

1. Gracie's Gear bras - zipper pockets over the girls that hold an iphone, key, chapstick. They're not much more expensive than normal bras and make carrying things much easier (plus make my husband happy that I always have my phone on me)

2. Nike pants. Again, I'm hippy and also blessed with thighs. I have in them multiple lengths and warmths and they work really well and don't ride up. The pocket in the back is just large enough for my phone and a Gu.

3. Flexr water bottle. I found this brand at an expo and have the holder which has a little pocket on it - doesn't hold my phone but will hold food.

If I'm running with all three I usually have room to spare.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    8. May 4, 2011 12:00 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

This was discussed here a few months ago.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the thread.  Somebody in that thread found a source of shirts with pockets.

Len

Bicycling and tri shirts have pockets.  Go to a triathlon or bicycling store to see if you like the shirts.  They tend to be fitted (i.e., tight).

I, for one, don't like the shirt bouncing up and down when running and use other things such as a belt.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• 737runner Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    9. May 15, 2011 3:12 PM (in response to LadyOfThStars1)

Lady:  May a suggest http://www.scottevest.com/  ?  I was looking for a shirt that I could put my ipod in and found one there.  I hope I helped.

• geekgirl707 Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 23, 2010
    10. May 25, 2011 3:31 PM (in response to LadyOfThStars1)

Hi! I had the same question a while ago (my thread:) -  I have a list on my blog of tanks that fit my iPhone and do not bounce or otherwise move. I try to keep my tanks under $45, but there is one from SkirtSports.com that is $60 and is very tempting.

A lot of the time when I see posts for running apparel with pockets (on other forums too), someone always suggests the spibelts or armbands... but I've found the belts bounce more than the pockets do and the arm band chafes/pinches or slides down. Plus it's just one more thing to put on. I think once a person has decided they are looking for pockets it's because they're frustrated with the existing stuff out there moving and are ready to ditch all the extras. I wish sports apparel manufacturers would figure out people take tech with them!  Just Sunday at a race, I ran into two women at the expo looking at tanks and ruling them out because of no pockets.  We all had a whine fest about it!!

Tried & True Tanks -

Lucy- Criss Cross Tank - pocket fits iPhone in a case as well as a fuel flask!  Zips closed.

Saucony- Ignite Shimmel  - fits the phone, maybe a gu. Zips closed.

On the list to try:

SkirtSports.com - Multi Sport tank and shorts

TriSports.com

The page on my blog that I update/review running clothes with the elusive pockets -

http://geekgirl415.com/what-do-running-apparel-manufacturers-have-against-pockets/

I hope this helps- and keep the thread alive- many of us want pockets!!

d:)

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    11. May 31, 2011 7:53 AM (in response to geekgirl707)

Oh my, I am seriously tempted to get this skirt! http://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/1017Tat-Gym-Girl-Ultra-Tattoo

I also like to have shorts with pockets, but it seems like the running skirts tend to be a little longer than most shorts (which I like). And I think that the skirts are more flattering on a more "mature" woman with less than thin legs (like me!).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points