Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2648 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2011 7:25 AM by R-hizzle
R-hizzle Amateur 22 posts since
Jan 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 5, 2011 6:41 AM

hi i'm looking for support and training tips to complete my first 5k

hello everyone, this is my first post, i'm in my late 40's, living in the western suburbs of chicago and training for my first 5k since i was 20. i would like some advise and motivation for training. I have been training on my treadmill for about 3wks now. I dont want to embarrass myself not being able to run around the sub-division. If i push it i'm doing 2mls @ 4.5-5.0, with 1.0 incline to simulate running outdoors.I monitor my heart rate, at that pace i'm around 165-171, which i think, indicates my cardiovascular system is not too great. I've been following a program that calls for a 2mile conversational run twice a week, with a few 1/4 miles on fast day thrown in. I'm feeling motivated and excited but there is a little tendonitis around the inside of my right knee, nothing serious. I'm am use to working out but at my age i want to cut back on all the strength training and start running. I'm 5'9, 212lbs(yes a few pounds over weight, hoping the running will help the belly). Trying to follow a good diet, w supplements. Any advise will be appreciated. My goal is to feel that ZONE i hear runners talk about and enjoy running. I would like to be one of those guys that travel around to run 10k's and half marathons. I want to grow with this new found passion i'm feeling. I've signed up and the 5k is in 3 wks. thanks

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011

Hey R-hizzle, I saw no one replied to you yet so I'll give it a shot even tho I'm a newbie with only one race under my belt. My motivator is simple : that's to have a happier, healthier life and it's just that simple. My choice to enter a race and more in the future is just icing on the cake for what you can accomplish after the hours of training. Racing also will help me gauge my progress and help me to understand running in general. When I started a life change back last June due a doctors advice I had no idea it would evolve into what it is now. I wasn't able to run around the sub-division either, so it started with a run-walk. Just remember we all start somewhere and I'll bet there's some in your SD that have trouble walking to the car every morning to get to work. So you already have a jump on them lol. The weight will come off with the training and proper eating. A consultation with a dietician can help alot with this. Always make sure you give a Dr. or whoever you consult with all the info about what your doing so they can make a good evaluation. Your HR is very close to mine but you may want to consult a Dr. if you have'nt already. I lifted weights for many years and continue to do so but in a much more cardio style (light weights, more reps, faster pace). You will need to continue lifting to help avoid injury and make your runs better. As far as that zone your looking for it will come to you at some point. I dont always feel or maybe recognize I'm even in it sometimes but when I do It seems to be after I've gone 2-3 miles. That also has to do with your body adjusting to what your asking of it and not having to deal with pace, breathing, ect. I'm sure there are many more veteran runners here that can describe the "zone" better than me, but from what I've gathered so far it's different for just about everyone. When you do the 5K dont worry about the outcome and use it to help find where your at in your progress. Most importantly enjoy the moment and the fact your there doing something that is as healthy as it is addictive lol. I've lost 65lbs since last June and started out at 285lbs, ran my first 10K last week @ 57:43.  My first PR. By the way I'm 57 so it's never to late to start your life change. Hope this wasn't to lengthy but I've been there too!!! YOU can do it!!! Think positive and have faith in your abilities, work on YOU for now, and let us all know how you did in your first 5K. Good luck and do your best, D.

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• schmidbc Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009

Hi R-hizzle! Good luck on completing your race! It sounds as if you have the motivation and mindset to complete your 5K, and these are often the most important!

I would recommend a few things to keep in mind and try in your training in the coming weeks, and also for races to follow.

1. Try to get outdoors with your running. The treadmill is fine, but if you really want to cultivate a love of running, it will be beneficial for you to be outdoors. Also, I'm assuming that your 5K is an outdoor race, and so actually running outdoors will give you a much better feel for what it will be like on race day. You might find that simply being outside will help your running stride and will actually make your runs feel easier and go by faster. The varied terrain will also help build muscle and burn more calories, which will help if you are trying to lose weight.

2. Alternate running and walking on your runs. Run for a few minutes, walk for a minute. Repeat. Do this for up to 3 miles. This is a good way to increase your distance without getting hurt and without feeling too tired. Try to keep your walks timed for a minute (or two if necessary).

3. Although your program says to run twice a week, the more you get outside, the better you will feel. Run 3 days, with two of your normal runs and one walk/run. Try to go for walks on the other days. Although tapering isn't required for a 5k, give your legs two days off running before your race, with just easy walking.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011

A big ditto to the above!! Geting outside really does make a difference. I have yet to run on a treadmill. I think if I tried I'd get bored and fall off

You really do want to get out and get the feel of running outside before your race.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Oh! And don't say "at my age!" You're young yet! I'm 41 and I just started running this year.

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• Dar Kelly Pro 79 posts since
    Mar 17, 2010

Hello,

Congratulations on signing up for your 5K! You have received some really good advice. I love to chat with other runners to find out what their training tips are.

Another good resource is to go to the active.com home page, search Endurance- newbie runner http://www.active.com.

Good luck and have fun!

Dar

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010

First, having the motivation is the first step and you clearly have that.  It sounds like you are doing all of the right things so far.  As far as the tendonitis goes, nip it in the bud early or it will haunt you later.  Ease off on running inclines and anything faster than conversational pace.  Ice the sore area regularly for several days.  In other words, considert taking a 3 day weekend off and do just cross training that doesnt cause any pain to that area.  Keep icing it a few times a day and then when Monday rolls around and you are ready to do some easy running, warm it up really good along with some gentle stretching before you run and just ease back into the routine.  Just remember, the bigest misstake new runners make is doing too much too soon and not heading the warning signs that their body is giving them.  Keep us all posted on your progress and best of luck.

Brad

www.runnersplan.com

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

Jun 15, 2010

Tendonitis is tricky and can hang around for a long time if not treated properly.  In addition to the icing after the run, try running hot water on it in the shower first thing in the morning to loosen it up.  As a longtime coach, I cannot emphasize enough to skip the inclines and stick with a conversational pace for a few days or a week.  You wont lose any conditioning during that time.  If the tendoniits gets worse, youll be out for a lot longer!   If you are prepping for your first race dont be too aggressive.  If you dont have a fun and positive experince you wont want to do it again.  If you come away from it thinking how fun it was youll be raring to go and looking to run faster.  Good luck to you!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• WhizKid71 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 2, 2006

At great risk to myself, I've given two running tips that will destroy my masculine reputation.  That's okay though, because when I come home w/ a PR from my latest road race, I'll have an even better rep!  Or so I keep telling myself.  Seriously, this past week has proven to me the benefit of running slower as I was able to double my distance this week from last week.  Granted it was only 14 miles, which may not be a lot to some of you, but it was a lot better than the 7 I did the previous two weeks.

Check out my tips on my blog Dreamworld.

http://toppdog89.com/blog/?p=180

What running tips would you like to share?

Ken Kopasky

DreamWorld Blog

Change Your Perspective, Change Your World

Jun 15, 2010

One more tip that will help considerably, avoid concrete if you can.  Stick to as soft a surface as you can.  I try for trails or paths or even just off the sidewalk on the grass whenever possible.  I notice a huge difference in doing that now that I am getting older.

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points