Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1125 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2011 6:20 AM by Surfing_Vol RSS
kennyHarris Rookie 3 posts since
May 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 6, 2011 3:37 AM

need energy after a race

after a 5k or 10k race I'm exhausted the rest of the day. competely burned out. what can I eat to bring me back to life?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. May 6, 2011 5:24 AM (in response to kennyHarris)
    Re: need energy after a race

As you race more/train more your energy level will pick up.  When I 1st started  I was dead for the day, now after a long run or a race it is just like any other day.  It just takes some time for your body to get use to the racing/training.  A good recovery drink with  something like a 4-1 ratio of  Carbs to Protein.  Books would have you consumes about .5 grams of Carbs per lb to your body wt with in 30 mins and 10-20 grams of protein as soon as possible for recovery and after 2 hours repeat the carbs.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. May 6, 2011 6:20 AM (in response to kennyHarris)
    Re: need energy after a race

I agree with the previous post .  I like Fluid brand recovery drink.  I make a water bottle of the stuff and take it with me to the race, leave it in the car and drink it after the race.  I also like Stinger protein bars.

However, I think you need to take a step back and look at your pre-race preparation.  Are you getting up early enough to eat a light meal (something like a bagel with peanut butter), drink coffee, take care of nature's call, etc.?  Are you going to bed early enough the day before?  Do you lay out your running gear the night before?  Are you warming up adequately -- including an easy warm up run and some strides at race pace -- before the race?

Also, are you cooling down properly after the race?  Are you walking, taking a slow, easy recovery run?  Do you use a foam roller after the race?  If you're sore, are you taking an ice bath (something I dread)?

Also, some races leave you trashed.  It's a problem only if EVERY race leaves you trashed.  That may also indicate overtraining (another word for "under rested").

Good luck,

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points