Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

186329 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 62 Previous Next
  • edhodge Amateur 33 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. May 13, 2011 6:19 PM (in response to KILOWATTGOLD)
    Re: After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

Did you guys see the article posted on FB today about losing weight and/or training for endurance?  Very interesting and certainly explains why I have lost only 6 lbs since January!

Kristi, go to my active and then click on profile.  Then edit profile.  It should show you your community signature.  That is where you dub in all the information you want people to see everytime.  I might have missed a step so I apologize in advance.

Running won't kill you. You will pass out first.

Started C25K March 4, 2011

Finished C25K May 2, 2011

Root Rocket Run 5K May 7, 2011 unofficial results 41.49

Williams Route 66 5K November 19, 2011

Williams Route 66 1/2 Marathon (walking!) November 20, 2011

Apr 8, 2011
    17. May 14, 2011 3:30 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Welcome, FLKayakgirl!  I think I am going to do the same thing you are- just try to increase my daily runs until I am finishing in 45 mins.  That should get me the distance and certainly increase my endurance.  Now to get faster... changed up some music and that really helped on my run this morning.  Of all the runs I have done so far, this was the absolute best.  I got into the pace, felt like I was warmed up and my chest expanded at about 8 mins and I felt like I could have kept running forever.  It was very cool (43 with the wind chill) and a 15 mph wind and I definitely do better in cooler weather.  That was such an incredible feeling though, just going and going without feeling like I was going to die. If I had not made a date with 2 of my grandsons, I might still be out there.

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    18. May 14, 2011 5:00 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Richard,

I did it!  I upped the ibuprofen and just went for it.  My hip will probably tell me about it tomorrow, but today I'm feeling great!  It was about 55° with a light but steady rain.  Didn't bother me much at all.  I took 2 short walk breaks, and ended up finishing it in 50:41.  Certainly not gonna break any records, but today it's my PR!!  I'm already looking for more races.  Onward to B210K on Tuesday!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• jmdessart Pro 89 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    20. May 14, 2011 8:03 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I completed the C25K this morning with a true graduation...a 5K race.  I completed it in 39:24.  I'm glad I ended up with a sub 40 minute time, but I did end up walking some of it, when I hoped to run the whole thing.  What can I say though, it's the first time I've run over 3 miles, so I don't think there's anything wrong with just a little walk.

I'm starting the B210K plan on Monday.  I'm glad there's a plan because I'm still new at this running thing, and I still need structure to keep going.

It's good to see so many people on here to support each other.  I know the C25K thread I was on was very influential in my finish of that program.

Jean from Green Bay, WI

First 5K (Cellcom) 5/14/2011 - 39:24

First 10K (Bellin) 6/11/2011 - 1:19:03

Packer 5K 7/30/2011 - 39:03

First 1/2 Marathon 9/18/2011 - 3:07:53

Running because according to my mom "you never really were skinny"

Apr 8, 2011
    21. May 15, 2011 6:59 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I can't find that article now either!  This was posted on Facebook today.

http://www.thepeacefulrunner.com/running-to-lose-weight.html

Diane

• jivanmandm Amateur 10 posts since
    May 15, 2011
    23. May 15, 2011 11:37 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I'm on week 5 of a "love to run progam' at our local Y based on the CP>5K, found your board, ( I know myself- if I have a plan after the 5K in une I'll be fine, if I dont....

after reading about your various efforts I started doing some searches and ended back with finding a plan (I think is worth sharing) where my dreams are- I'd like to do a 1/2 marathon at disney next winter.  if you look at their site- jeff Galloway has free plans to build up to doing a 1/2 marothon based on a tue/thur build distance sat schedule- you have to look and the wine and dine to find the plan, but it looks like anice way to start adding safe distance to my runs after I'm done with the 5K.- hope this helps some one else out there.

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    24. May 15, 2011 3:48 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hello graduate!  I'm one too.  Just finished my c25k last week.  I definitely need a group to hang with in order to stay motivated.  In fact, I'm feeling a little bit like I don't know what to do next.  I did my 5k at the beginning of week 8 and I definitely wasn't ready.  I'm stubborn enough that I ran the whole thing, but I paid the price in inflamed shins and hamstring tendons.  I cut back, rested, iced, ect. And today I ran 30 minutes and don't have any post pain.   So i think I'm on the mend, but not quite ready for the 10k plan.  I think i need to stay here a bit to stabilize before moving on.  But without a plan to follow, I feel lost.  I like structure.  Any suggestions for a 3 mile workout that doesn't just focus on 3 miles 4 days a week?  M.j.  Congrats on your first 5k!  You badass runner you.  And you did your own thing instead of taking everyone's cautionary advice, that's cool.

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• ShelbyinMontana Pro 56 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    25. May 15, 2011 5:12 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I am so glad I found this thread! I finished c25k about a year ago, and now I'm training for a half marathon. I spent about ten months, just running three miles, and have just started adding mileage over the past two months. What is everyone else doing?

Shelby

"Through it all, each morning has patiently asked me, 'Why do you run today?' And over the course of the years, one simple answer has quietly become more clearly heard than all others: because I must."

-Dagny Scott

• horizonradar Amateur 38 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    27. May 16, 2011 10:00 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Well, exactly 2 months from today on March 16th, I started C25K, and today May 16th, I started B210K with the hopes of running a 10k that I've signed up for in late June. (BAA 10k) Part of my training will fall during my vacation to Washington DC, so I'm hoping to get to run with some new scenery for once.

So anyway, I did B210k W1D1 today. I'm not sure how I feel about the walking intervals. 10 minutes after starting running my legs were questioning why I just had stopped, they decided to seize up to punish me. They did this every time I had to stop. My brain wasn't quite sure why I was doing it either. After the "last run" bit came up, my brain returned to the zen-like state that I was used to in the last 3 weeks of C25K. I also got a bloody nipple! You think it hurts until you take a shower, then you KNOW it hurts.

Cheers,

Matt

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    29. May 17, 2011 4:47 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Okay folks, not because I've completed the C25K program and not because I just ran a comfortable 30 minutes, but because I ran it in the pouring rain!  That's why I can claim the label "runner."  I was close to the house when it started, a real deluge as they say with some thunder to boot.  I could have turned back.. but you guessed it - Richard came to mind.  As I was hoppping over puddles trying to avoid the inevitable squishy shoe, I smiled and remembered Richard saying early on in the C25K program, "yeah, I ran in the rain, because I'm a runner and that's what runners do."   Well, i think my time improved because the intensity of the downpour just got me going faster than usual.  And my attempts to avoid a soaking were in vain. Within a minute I couldn't see, my hair was plastered to my head and my legs completely soaked.  The good news.. it was fairly warm and actually after a little dose of acceptance and humor, I got on with it quite nicely and really enjoyed myself.  A hot shower never felt so good.  A just reward for a run well done.

Where ever you are, I hope you are enjoying your run and your day.  Life is pretty darn good when you're feeling fit and vibrant!  Lizzie

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

1 2 3 4 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...