Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

185852 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 62 Previous Next
  • M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. May 17, 2011 6:49 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)
    Re: After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

So today should have been W1D1 of B210K.  However, I was a big, fat, quitting quitter.  I guess I had not really checked out the time commitment, because when Stuart told me I was half-way done, I realized that there was no way I could complete the session and make it to work on time.  It was nearly time for me to go back in.    So I fast-forwarded to the cool-down and called it a morning.

It seems I'm going to have to get up at 4:30 a.m. now in order to have enough time.  *le sigh*  Not sure how I feel about that.  But I am also very self-aware, and I know that if I don't do it first thing, it will not get done.  And I'm starting to get hooked - I want to run.  So on Thursday, I'll wake up at 4:30.  Because that's what runners do - and I'm a runner.  (I agree with Lizzie, Richard.  That's one of the most powerful things you've said - though not the only one.  I am appropriating that one too.  Just like I did with "kick asphalt!") 

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

Mar 17, 2011
    31. May 17, 2011 8:22 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I noticed that there will be a Rock 'n' Roll half-marathon in Chicago the weekend of Aug. 14th.  I will turn 50 on Aug 11th and Chicago is my hometown.  Is it crazy to think I could run/walk the half?   I'm very tempted to sign right up.  I think it would be an awesome way to celebrate my 50th.  Should I try it?

• hwkwyld Pro 81 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    32. May 17, 2011 10:41 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

GREAT THREAD!  I was looking for something exactly like this, Thanks Richard.

I started my 10k training last night.  I knew after C25K I would need another challenge/goal to work towards.  Doubling my distance seems like the next logical step.  I've developed my own training plan that combines B210K and another that I found online that fits with my goals.  Yesterday was a "bad run" day but I pushed through it and finished my 3 miles. Next run is Thursday and I'm hoping it will be better.

2012:

1/29 - Ice Breakers Tri: 51:15

Swim (400Y) - 7:46; Bike (10 Miles) - 20:20; Run (2 Miles) - 23:09

2/11 - Red Flannel Run (5 Miles): 1:01:45

5/20 - Bluff Creek Triathlon (Sprint)

6/10 - Trinona Triathlon (International)

6/24 - Copper Creek Triathlon (Sprint)

10/21 - Des Moines Marathon

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    33. May 17, 2011 11:22 AM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

Hey friends!

MJ, there's a RnR half in Providence the week before.  Since Providence is an insanely hilly town, I think I'm going to skip it, but hey, I can see the allure of a 50th birthday celebration in your hometown.  The RnR marathons seem pretty fun.  There wasn't enough information about the Providence RnR half course when I was thinking about it, but it looks like there's a walking pace group at 16:01 in the Chicago half.  http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/files/2011/03/CHI11_PaceTeamInfo.pdf.  That seems pretty encouraging, though I didn't see the final cutoff time.

(ETA: I double checked and that 16:01 group is actually the end pace--Chicago has a 3:30 cutoff.  That would make me nervous with such a short training period, but that's just me. YMMV, literally.   http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/event-dates  All the Disney half marathons have a 3:30 limit too. )

For me, I decided that my next goal will be 10K and I'm going to take my time shooting for longer races.  I'm seriously considering the WDW Princess Half next February, and I have a free Southwest ticket credit that expires in the beginning of October.  If I don't find another way to use it, and the stars align with my work schedule and my training, I might *JUST MIGHT* do the Wine and Dine Half.

I'm having a tricky time figuring out this next goal thing.  I emailed a friend about doing a 10K on July 4, but then I started stressing about it.  I emailed her again and said no promises, and I'm going to take it from there.  These bigger races sell out, so if the Wine & Dine or Princess sells out so be it.

Anyway, my advice, since I'm wondering about these longer distances too, is to look really carefully at training schedules and cutoff times and see if you think you can do it and still have fun.  If the answer is yes, then you know what to do!  Rock and roll!

Cate

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• KILOWATTGOLD Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    34. May 17, 2011 11:30 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

WOW,

So many of you have already completed your first 5k and it sounds like everyone is planning on more, so maybe it is safe to say everyone plans on sticking with running.  That alone says a lot about this program. 

Lizzie- I'm also debating the 1/2 marathon in Disney...maybe we'll both be there.

Shelby - you say you have been running 3 miles for the past 10 months since finishing the program.  Has it gotten easier?  How has it been adding miles/time to what you have been doing?  Are you following a specific program?

Saturday I set off with the intention of doing W1D1 of the B210K.  Have decided to re-think this thing.  Like Matt, my body was really confused.   After the third set of 10 minutes my body was telling me it did not have another 10 minutes in it.  Somehow I need to come up with a plan to get more than 2.4 miles out of my 30 minute run.  I am not ready to say I did a comfortable 3 mile run.  I am very envious of all of you that find 3 miles "comfortable".  The first mile is no big deal and I keep reminding myself that 9 weeks ago it WAS a big deal.   After the mile it is just sheer willpower to overcome the "discomfort" and keep going until the timer runs out.   Last night I ran to W9D3 of the C25K again as I'm not sure what else to do.  It is discouraging to me that last night's run is just as hard to get through as the first 30 minute run, but maybe I am expecting too much too fast.  I will say the breathing has gotten so much easier and in some ways I feel like I could just go forever.  My back and my feet are the biggest problem.  My back hurts while I am running and if anyone has any ideas to help I'll listen to any and all advice.  Last night I tried another new/different pair of shoes.  They have a lot more cushion and got rid of the numb toes issue, but as soon as I stopped running the pain in my toes was almost unbearable.  That lasted a few minutes and then it was gone.   Left foot is fine, right foot is really annoying me at the moment.

I will say I am completely hooked on running.   I can't stand the thought of not going tonight so my plan is to do a mile in the new shoes and hope the pain was a one time thing.

Keep up the good work.  You are all a bigger inspiration than you know.

First 5K in 2 weeks.  I guess that will be the real test.

Kristi

Graduated C25K 5/12/11

Finished Races:

23rd Annual Memorial Day Classic at Weston (5K) 5/30/11 49:25

Doral Business Run (5K) 6/24/11 45:20

5th Annual King of the Hill Challenge (5K) 9/3/11 49:34

UPS 5K 9/17/11 47:30

13th Annual Miramar-Pines Rotary Run (5K) 1/14/12 48:34

Mar 17, 2011
    35. May 17, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to mamacate)

Cate,

I checked the Hal Higdon novice HM program (Stuart's big brother app) and it is 12 weeks long, almost exactly the time left until the HM.  I'm thinking I should start the program and if I progress well, sign up.  If I'm not progressing well, then, any training is good training, right?

I know I won't be fast.  I might be the last person to cross the line and I'm okay with that.  I just think it would be a blast to do.

mamacate wrote:

Hey friends!

MJ, there's a RnR half in Providence the week before.  Since Providence is an insanely hilly town, I think I'm going to skip it, but hey, I can see the allure of a 50th birthday celebration in your hometown.  The RnR marathons seem pretty fun.  There wasn't enough information about the Providence RnR half course when I was thinking about it, but it looks like there's a walking pace group at 16:01 in the Chicago half.  http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/files/2011/03/CHI11_PaceTeamInfo.pdf.  That seems pretty encouraging, though I didn't see the final cutoff time.

(ETA: I double checked and that 16:01 group is actually the end pace--Chicago has a 3:30 cutoff.  That would make me nervous with such a short training period, but that's just me. YMMV, literally.   http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/event-dates  All the Disney half marathons have a 3:30 limit too. )

For me, I decided that my next goal will be 10K and I'm going to take my time shooting for longer races.  I'm seriously considering the WDW Princess Half next February, and I have a free Southwest ticket credit that expires in the beginning of October.  If I don't find another way to use it, and the stars align with my work schedule and my training, I might *JUST MIGHT* do the Wine and Dine Half.

I'm having a tricky time figuring out this next goal thing.  I emailed a friend about doing a 10K on July 4, but then I started stressing about it.  I emailed her again and said no promises, and I'm going to take it from there.  These bigger races sell out, so if the Wine & Dine or Princess sells out so be it.

Anyway, my advice, since I'm wondering about these longer distances too, is to look really carefully at training schedules and cutoff times and see if you think you can do it and still have fun.  If the answer is yes, then you know what to do!  Rock and roll!

Cate

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    36. May 17, 2011 5:33 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I've completed another week of very slow 45 minute jog/runs.  I think I am going just over 5k in that time.  My first 5k time was a little less than that and I had to walk a little.  Now I am able to keep running for the full distance.  I want to keep that up for my two runs during the week, and I hope that I will increase my speed over time as I continue.  I want to work on improving my 5k time as my first goal.  On my weekend run I will start experimenting with running a 2 minute run/1 minute walk interval run and add time to my runs maybe try for 60 minutes.

I am not looking for fast improvement, I just want to keep improving slowly and keep consistent with the work outs. It's a great stress release after work!  I am happy being a penguin and just keep moving forward!

I'm enjoying reading all your plans for continuing your running.  Keep up the great work!

Here in Florida the summer is the "off season" for running due to the heat and humidity.   Not many races being held.  I want to try to find about one 5k a month to run if possible, but not finding many.  I'll keep looking!

As Richard says...keep kicking the asphalt!

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

Mar 17, 2011
    37. May 17, 2011 6:37 PM (in response to mamacate)

Cate,

After careful consideration (and some kicks upside the head) I'm thinking August in Chicago might not be such a fun prospect after all.  (Jeez, ya think?!)  But, I like the look of Hal Higdon's HM program, and I think I'm going to start it anyway while looking around for a Fall HM.  I think that would make better sense.

mamacate wrote:

Hey friends!

Cate

Mar 18, 2011

I hear you, and did a similar mental workout about the Providence one a month or so ago.  Gotta take this one step at a time.

That said, talking to you about this has made me start thinking more about that expiring Southwest ticket and the Wine & DIne half marathon.  If I make it to the 10K and am feeling good, I might just sign up.  Meet ya there?

Cate

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

• jmdessart Pro 89 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    40. May 18, 2011 5:45 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

After a couple day delay, I finished W1D1 of the B210K this morning.  I didn't get much sleep this past weekend, so when my alarm went off on Monday morning, I just couldn't get up.  I hate starting a week off tired.  I set the alarm again yesterday, and it's almost as if my body knew it was Tuesday, and I don't usually run on Tuesday, so it didn't want to get up.  I told myself last night that I had to get up and go this morning, or I would lose the awesome endurance that I was at, and have to backtrack.  So the alarm went off at 5:30 (i can't believe you guys have to wake up so much earlier than that!), and I got out and did it.  The run intervals felt good, and the walks were a welcome break.  I couldn't believe how easy it felt to run for 40 minutes!  The biggest thing that I'm impressed with is my lung capacity.  I've always had trouble breathing while exercising, and now, it's not my lungs, it's not my body, but my brain that's the biggest hurdle to overcome while running.  I'm getting better at getting rid of the negative thoughts, but I've had 27 years of training my brain that I'm not a runner.  I'm guessing it will take some time for it to sink in that I really can be a runner.  I'm a doubting Thomas, and I need to prove it to myself.

I'm thinking since I had the delay, and I'm scheduled for a 10K on June 11, that I'll make week 1 only a 2 workout week and that way I'm caught up with the program.  We'll see how my next workout goes.

I'm glad I have you guys for support, you definitely added to my ambition this morning.

Jean from Green Bay, WI

First 5K (Cellcom) 5/14/2011 - 39:24

First 10K (Bellin) 6/11/2011 - 1:19:03

Packer 5K 7/30/2011 - 39:03

First 1/2 Marathon 9/18/2011 - 3:07:53

Running because according to my mom "you never really were skinny"

• horizonradar Amateur 38 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    41. May 18, 2011 1:46 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Completed W1D2 of B210K today, it was pretty ridiculous because I had been out celebrating last night (read as: I scored tickets to the Bruins game, they won, and my liver lost a bit of it's funtional capacity.) We've also had some really, really crappy weather (I think the other Massachusetts people will agree this has been a lame week). Between the humidity in the air and the liquor in my bloodstream, I literally sweat away 3 pounds of fluid. I have a hat that is still wet from my run earlier. I didn't wear a cotton shirt this time around, so bandaids weren't needed . All in all, I did increase my pace and I didn't die, so I'd say it was fairly good. I feel good so it must be good, right?

A neat thing is noting that my HR is way lower than when I started C25K, I enjoy that (especially coming from a family known for heart issues).

Also, to any of you considering ANY race in Providence over 10k, may god have mercy on you. I grew up in Rhode Island and I downtown Providence and the East Side used to be my hang out area. I don't think I'd ever run there for fear of death. But if ya'll are interested in running something that could be fun and unique you should check out the Newport Bridge Run that they're holding this November for the first time: http://citizensbridgerun.com/

That bridge has quite the incline at the start, so even at 4.2 Miles it could be an interesting run, and definitely something you can't do all the time. I just wish it wasn't in November....at 6:30am.

Cheers,

Matt

Mar 18, 2011
    42. May 18, 2011 4:09 PM (in response to horizonradar)

Ah, hungover running.  What fun.  You're a tough dude there Matt, between the bloody nipple and the hangover!  (I appreciate my sports bra all the more.)

Yes, the weather has been pretty lousy, though running this afternoon was actually nice except for the humidity.  It's keeping things pretty cool, so that was nice for an afternoon run.  In a month or two I suspect we're going want to kill for 60 degree weather!

Matt, I hear you on the insane hills in Providence (I'm assuming that's why you never want to run a long race there).  I didn't see any elevation information on the website, but I've spent a little time in Providence for work, and I just remember that walking around was challenging because of the hills.  13.1 miles...not so much.  Thanks for the link to the bridge run.  It actually sounds awesome.  I'm putting that on my definite maybe list.  I agree that a couple of weeks earlier would have been nice, but oh well.  Better than Providence in August!

Today was my "easy run."  I'm still struggling with wanting to be faster than my body is able to go but I will spare you my mental machinations.  Working on acceptance, patience, you know, all those GROWNUP things that are so flipping hard.  I ran all 30 minutes and did 10 minutes of warmup and cooldown; covered almost 3 miles in that time.  Saturday is my "long run" which is supposed to be an hour.  Should be interesting.

Cate

• Labsrus2 Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    43. May 18, 2011 5:07 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Good thread

My goals are a little different than most.  No real thought of a half or a full marathon yet.

Short term goal is to do a 5k each month all summer.

Corporate Challenge 5k May 24

Fleet Feet 5K June 19

Need to find one for August and September to enter

My first 10 K is Thanksgiving morning.  My younger son who will be going away to college and myself plan to enter this one.  Should be fun.

So for now my goals are pretty simple

First 5K - just finish, stretch goal is 35 minutes

Start the 10k program shortly.

I seem to be like a lot of the others who have posted on this thread, need some help once in a while to keep going,  I really like the satification of completed the short term goal of completed my daily run.  I have run a various times during the day and have not found that I like any time better than the other.  I have been running every other day to allow my body to rest.  In between I have been doing some core exercises, situp crunches and push ups mainly.

Another thing I just noticed is that where I am at it in China this week it is May 19th.  Guess what another birthday to celebrate.  Just turned 52 and feel great about it.

I like my Lab Black just like my coffee

Corporate Challenge 5K May 22, 37 minutes 11 seconds

Fathers Day 5K, 31 minutes 55 seconds

Seneca Zoo 5K Cross Country Race, 31 minutes 25 seconds

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 2.5 mile, 22 minutes 20 seconds

Spring Forward 2.5 Mile, 28 minutes 8 seconds

Rochester 5k 30 minutes 20 seconds

Lilac 10 k 1 hour 8 minutes

Corporate Challange 3.5 mile, 34 minutes 10 seconds

• edhodge Amateur 33 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    44. May 18, 2011 6:52 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Wow, Matt- that is a great effort especially considering the evening's fun.   I figured out pretty quickly that 3 glasses of wine and then a morning run do not equal a fun run for me at all. LOL!  I seem to be fine with 2 glasses or having 3 and then running the evening after. *wink*

I had a good run tonight.  Not a great run but my first attempt at 45 mins since my first 5K 2 weeks ago.  I had to walk 3 times but I wouldn't let myself go more than 10 seconds.  Yeah, just getting out of bed tomorrow might be difficult but I am proud that I did it.

Isn't it interesting to see what everyone's goals are now that we know we can run?  I am happy just increasing my endurance and speed, concentrating on doing 5Ks.  Maybe once I am able to run a 5K in 30 minutes, I might think about doing more distance.  Running is one of the most heady experiences I have ever had though.  You never know until you get out there.  How will I feel? Can I increase my time? Will I hit that groove where I forget I am running and just flow?  Will I have to walk and if so, can I keep a positive attitude about that?

Diane

Running won't kill you. You will pass out first.

Started C25K March 4, 2011

Finished C25K May 2, 2011

Root Rocket Run 5K May 7, 2011 unofficial results 41.49

Williams Route 66 5K November 19, 2011

Williams Route 66 1/2 Marathon (walking!) November 20, 2011

1 2 3 4 5 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...