Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

183471 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 Go to original post 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62 Previous Next
  • KILOWATTGOLD Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    825. Feb 29, 2012 6:56 AM (in response to kathruns)
    After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

Well it has been 6 months since i posted anything.  In October I had finally worked up to my first ever 5 mile run and was so proud of myself.  A week or so later running ended with the birth of a litter of puppies. I didn't have enough energy to even try to fit it in.  I ran once in 8 weeks.  The first time just to prove to myself i could still do a couple of mile after not running for 6 weeks and then again at 8 weeks for another couple of miles because I was scared I had lost all of the progress.  At 9 weeks I was pressured into a 5K and ran the whole way.  I was surprised that my time was not much slower than before the hiatus.  The next weekend I ran another 3 miles and since then I have started the C25K again to try to improve my time.  Like Kathy, the heat and humidity is already making it miserable if you are not done by 8am.  We were totally robbed of a winter this year.  So if I have learned anything it is that this is completely mental.  I can plan on running 3 and then end up wanting to stop at 1.  Getting my head back into it mentally seems to be the biggest roadblock.  That and no matter how fast I feel like I am running I still end up with the same slow times.  16 minute-17 minute miles.  I would really like to work up to a half marathon but so many here close the course that you have to do a 15 minute mile to be able to do it.  I am worried that although i might have a faster mile or two early on it will slow way down as the time and the miles go by.  I'm very frustrated with how slow i am and that it really feels like i have lost the mental push I had a few months ago.  

Kristi

Graduated C25K 5/12/11

Finished Races:

23rd Annual Memorial Day Classic at Weston (5K) 5/30/11 49:25

Doral Business Run (5K) 6/24/11 45:20

5th Annual King of the Hill Challenge (5K) 9/3/11 49:34

UPS 5K 9/17/11 47:30

13th Annual Miramar-Pines Rotary Run (5K) 1/14/12 48:34

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    826. Feb 29, 2012 11:58 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hey there! Just got back last night from my First Half!  Disney Princess!!!...I finished the half in 2:55 using the run 5 walk 3 ratio. I ran the race comfortably, stopped 2 times for the bathroom, and for lots of pictures along the way. Not only did I finish, but I spent the rest of the day and the next walking the parks!

I would definitely do it again!  Running through Magic Kingdom was just AWESOME!

Now turning my sights to finishing recovering from my injury and onto the Broad Street 10 miler in Philly in May!

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

• VirginiaBreeze Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    827. Feb 29, 2012 3:38 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Kathy, I thought about you today as I had a craptastic 6 mile treadmill run in the evening.  I knew it was going to be terrible from the first step.  I can always tell when I had a bad run on my tracking program because I stop right at the target.  My last two 6 milers I was feeling good and they are 6.22 and 6.16 miles long.  Today was 6.01 and I'm not happy about the extra .01 mile.

Kristi, One thing a friend of mine to build up their speed that I thought was quite clever was to use the C25K program, but instead of run/walk, they did fast running and slow running.  So they would run the whole time, but during the "run" intervals, they pushed their pace up by several minutes per mile and then dropped back to their "slow" pace during the walk intervals.  Eventually, they were able to run faster for longer periods of time.  They used a treadmill, but I think you could do it on the street too.  I thought it was a cool idea.

Julie, Congratulations on your first half!  Considering your injury and all the walking one does at Disney, I think that is a tremendous time.

....mike

Started C25K 4/14/11, finished 6/23/11

Allen Stone 5k 7/16/11 (32:59)

Started B210k 7/20/11, finished 8/31/11

McDonald's Richmond Half-Marathon 11/12/11 (2:05:29)

Shamrock Half-Marathon 3/18/12 (2:09:43)

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    828. Mar 1, 2012 5:04 PM (in response to VirginiaBreeze)

Woohoo Mary Kay!! Great job with the 8 miles.  That is an accomplishment to be proud of - and it's great motivation to know you can keep going.

I'm almost jealous of all of you in warmer climes.   I can't handle the cold in the dark but it's easier in the daylight.  Sunday's run was 18 degrees with the windchill (25 without) and I had a head wind the whole way.  Seriously - no matter which direction I was running the wind was in my face until I hit mile 5 and was in a sheltered area.  Amazing how warm 25 degrees can feel with no wind.  I pushed my way to 7 miles last Sunday.  First mile was a horrorshow - couldn't get my  audiobook to work so I fiddled with that, then I had to wait at the traffic signalto cross the 5 point interserction, then I get 1/2 way up the hill and realize I've dropped my glove so I head downhill, across the monster intersection, grab m glove, and back up I go.  That mile took forever and my calves were so tight and my lungs weren't happy with the ice cold air going uphill.  Mile 2 was tough too  - miles 1-4 I walked a minute or 2 each mile - but at around mile 4 I hit a rhythm and miles 5-7 were almost (dare I say it?) easy.  Comparatively so, but I must admit 6.5 to 7 I was just pushing through to get to 7.  Looking forward to a repeat this Sunday.

Congrats Julie!  Great race.

Kristi - don't get discouraged.  It will come.  Just keep running.

Kathy - prefer to run in the morning - I agree - I can do afternoon runs but there's just too much going on.  But in the  morning, I have trouble finding the time to push past 3 miles so I've been trying to schedule 1 evening run a week to do 4-5 miles plus my Sunday long run. 

Mike - great idea to use c25k for speed work - it's got a good structure and I really liked the tone in my earbuds telling me when to change pace - kind of like Pavlov's runner - ding! speed up ding! slow down.  hahaha

Keep running everyone!

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    829. Mar 6, 2012 8:59 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Have enjoyed reading everyone's updates! Been a little slow here in activity. Had top of foot pain (maybe extensor tendonitis?). Took most of the week off just in case. Went out for my long run on Friday and no unusual problems. Signed up for a 4 mile run in May so going to try to get up to an 8 mile long run before then and work on my speed and such before then. I'll check back with everyone later, happy running!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

Apr 22, 2011
    830. Mar 10, 2012 2:44 AM (in response to _Miles)

Miles, Hope your foot feels better.  I've been fighting some minor knee issues myself.  Since it is my taper week anyhow, I've really scaled back the running this week.  I'm going to try to get out this weekend and get in two long runs though, so I'll have a better idea how my knee is healing in a couple of days.  I'm planning to do an 8 miler now and a 6 miler Sunday.

....mike

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

Jul 26, 2009
    831. Mar 11, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Mike- Good luck with your long runs! Hope they went well. I see you are only a week away from the race, you are gonna do great! Eager to hear your race report as well.

Well after a light week the week before of only two runs and 10 total miles, last week did 15 miles in 3 runs. I guess I paid for it, Friday was my long run of 6 miles and it was pure misery. Granted it was warm and dry out (though not any warmer than I can expect for summer which is right around the corner here). Anyways I must have had to stop and walk about twice every mile from about 1.5 miles and on. Was just ridiculous. Not sure if it was the heat, the increase in mileage, maybe dehydration, maybe nutrition, or maybe just my cardio conditioning still has something to be desired. At any rate, about an hour and a half after I set out I came back miserable with a little over 6 miles on my Garmin. Ugh. Well you can't always have good runs I suppose. Went out this morning and did some speedwork, one "warm up" mile at a fast (for me) 12:30 pace than four quarter mile repeats with a goal of an 11 minute mile. I still have difficulty gauging that pace and staying consistent there, but overall I enjoy the speedwork days for something different. Plus I let myself stop and walk inbetween for now and I know my brain really enjoys the "I can stop and walk in..." mentality. I need to try to get in some more cross training I think, both weights and some stationary bike. I think my overall level of fitness is sort of stagnating and requires more work than just 3-4 days of jogging to improve. Hope everyone has a great week of running!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    832. Mar 11, 2012 8:38 PM (in response to _Miles)

Hi Mike and Miles.  Sorry your long run was tough Miles - just start fresh with the next one and you will do fine.  Mike - good luck next weekend - I hope the knee is doing better.

No run this weekend for me - I chaperoned a scout trip  - crazy snowy drive down to the Cape yesterday but it all melted by lunch time and then upper 50's today.  I suppose I could have had a short-ish run before heading out to a church dinner this evening but I opted for a nap instead.

Apr 22, 2011
    833. Mar 12, 2012 12:28 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Miles, I have that kind of run sometimes too.  I wish I understood why it happens.  For me, I just don't have "it" some days.  I can run the same exact course same time of day, same pre-race eating, same drinking and one day I just want to stop and walk the whole time and another day I can just crank through it.  I dialed way back this week to rest my knee and I think it was a good call.  I had one of the good runs today.  I did 8 miles instead of 6 because I felt so strong.  It was one of those days where the weather was glorious and I was just happy to be out.  My legs felt like they just wanted to flow and every time I looked down at my Garmin I went "Oh no!" and had to force myself to slow down.  But I never felt like I was pushing.  I hope the actual race goes that way!

Deb, thanks for the good thoughts.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

....mike

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    834. Mar 12, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to _Miles)

Miles, so feeling your frustration. Sorry you aren't happy with your last run. If I was having those troubles, my first thought would be allergies (it's coming) and then I'd be thinking you are training too hard, not that you need more training. Whenever I've taken a week off, my first run back has been long and stronger than any that went before it. Whenever I add a day of running, I can expect my runs to be shorter and much harder for at least two weeks after that. If this doesn't sound right, just push through, don't push harder. You may be needing sleep or just going through something that will fix itself.

Mike, I forgot to wish you a great run this weekend! I like to obsess on details beforehand, also. I think a little race anxiety is a good thing. I was all relaxed before the race I didn't finish and that certainly went well. I guess the trick is to keep the energy focused and under control. Easier said than done. Good luck!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jul 26, 2009
    835. Mar 12, 2012 3:34 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Deb- Nothing like a well timed nap! I'm sure you needed the energy to keep track of all the scouts.

MaryKay - Thanks I didn't even think about the sleep thing. But I like your idea that after adding mileage or adding a day it might just take my body two weeks to recover. I think the problem is I add a day, then feel miserable, so the next week I cut back a day or sometimes two days...then I'm back in the same loop again when I try to get back up to where I was at. I'm going to try to take it easy with pace and just try to hit the same number of miles as I got last week and be patient for it all too settle in. Of course, patience is not something I am great at!

Went out today for an "easy" 3 miles. Got carried away and started off too fast. My shins complained a short while later. Walked a little, stretched a little, felt a bit better in the last three quarters of a mile while I maintained a very slow pace. Probably should not be trying to do anything "fast" the day after speedwork. Going to really make an effort to be very easy and very slow for the rest of my runs this week.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

Jun 8, 2011
    836. Mar 13, 2012 12:53 PM (in response to _Miles)

Miles, for what it's worth, this is how I just added in Wednesdays between my Tuesday/Thurs runs. It was time for me to increase Tue/Thu from 4 to 4.5 but instead I kept them at 4 ran 3 mi. on Wed. for two weeks. By Thurs on the first week, my breathing was ragged around 2 mi. so I let myself run 3.5 but I still kept with the distance I had planned for the long run but moved it to Sun. The second week I completed the 4/3/4 but with more walking than I wanted to do during the last run. Third week I raised Tues/Thurs. to 4.5 and it all went ok with a struggle. Now, there is another and maybe better schedule which is no more than two days together, i.e. Sat., Mon., Tues., and Thurs. This might be easier. I like saving my long run for Sun though. My best advice, something I seem to refuse myself, is listen to your body. My BP monitor has been a big help in showing that I am pushing hard enough. It shoots up when I have trouble breathing and struggle with a run so....hopefully something here will help. 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Apr 22, 2011
    837. Mar 13, 2012 7:53 PM (in response to _Miles)

Miles, you might try lowering your mileage when you first add a new day.  If you were running three days at 4 miles per run, try switching to 4 days at 3 miles a run to limit the stress on your system.  I also build my miles for two weeks and then drop back a bit the next week -- its easier to add a day on the drop back week.

Now that I re-read Mary Kay's post, I realize she just said the same thing.  So I guess I'm saying to listen to her. 

....mike

Jul 26, 2009
    838. Mar 14, 2012 10:52 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Mary Kay and Mike - Thanks for the tips. I am definitely going to try that this week.

Added some insoles to my running shoes yesterday and I *think* it helped a little with some of my foot issues. Also made a supreme effort to start out very slow and continue to take it easy. Did not have to walk at all and felt good by the end. I won't say strong exactly, but finished with some energy to spare. Going to go for the same strategy today then I get another rest day in before a long, easy run on Friday. If I can get through those two runs I think I've made it over the hurdle for this week and hopefully next week will come a little easier if I stick to the same mileage and same number of days. Hope everyone is enjoying the increased daylight in the afternoon and getting in good runs!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

Jun 8, 2011
    839. Mar 14, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to VirginiaBreeze)

Ahhahahahaha! Everyone's style of *hearing* is different. It never hurts to have another opinion.

Mary Kay

1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...