Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

167412 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    870. Apr 1, 2012 4:54 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)
    Re: After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

Hi All:

Good luck to SuperBuffBob and Aliciaca on your 10K training programs.  I did my first 10K last weekend.  I never used a program (kind of wish I had) but just kept increasing my long run each week until I was running 7 miles.  I need to work on speed now.

Kathy  - sorry about the watch.  I don't think anything is perfect with the gps - yet - but I plan on keeping an eye out on any new technology.  I'll keep using my smartphone for now - much more affordable because of all the multi-tasking it can

Did a 5K today.  I wasn't planning on doing a 5K the week after my 10K but that's when the races were planned and I wanted to do both.  Mile 2 was all uphilll - a very very steep hill!  I knew  it was going to be a hill, I checked  the map, I know that side of town (although I'd never driven on that particular street before) and was still not quite prepared for its hilly-ness.  I usually run rolling hills so I didn't think it would be an issue.  I walked the last 100 feet or so just to save something for the last 1.1 miles of the race.  Despite the hill, I managed a PR of 32:05.  I really wanted 31:something but considering that hill I'm pleased.  Next task - hill repeats!

Happy running all!!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    871. Apr 1, 2012 5:33 PM (in response to kathruns)
    After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

Kathy, sorry the watch didn't work so well. I am selling my Garmin 305 with HR monitor for $150 but would not recommend it if you want something simple. Timex makes a nice one around $40 my bro bought  at Costco. Gtg this site is acting wonky.

Good runs all!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    872. Apr 1, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to kathruns)

kathruns wrote:

Well, I am shipping back the GPS watch today!  I just found it extremely frustrating and too complex for me to use.  The reason I wanted it was to keep track of my pace and mileage.  Since the mileage is off, then it calculates me running at a much slower pace.  I just had trouble getting it to work right.   I just know it is a half mile around my neighborhood...I've driven and  mapped it, so I don't want to be frustrated with the wrong mileage. Maybe it just wasn't the best GPS watch to begin with since I got such a deal on it.  I'm able to return it for a full credit and no shipping to return.

Whenever I get a smartphone "someday", I'll just use an app from the phone.   I guess nothing is really perfect yet with these GPS's.

GPS can be off at any indivdual reading by as much as 10 meters, though 3 or 4 is more typical. Over several miles, one hopes it averages out - off in one direction one reading, off in the other the next - but there is no guarantee. And, of course, the sampling rate (number of readings per mile) comes into it as well. Going around corners can have an effect. Up and down hill has some effect - relatively small.  ETC.  I read a comment in Runners World, by someone who reviews GPS watches, that the reading could easily be off by 300 ft or more over 3 miles - a little less than a tenth of a mile.

I can use Mapmyrun 5 times over the same course and get 5 different readings.

Car odometers typically read 3% to 5% high (so the speedometer also reads high). So also not the best way to measure the distance.

What seems to be most accurate for amateurs like us is a bicycle speedometer/odometer that can be calibrated to the tire size on your bike.  They can be had for $20 or so. You have to ride the course though.

Len

Len

Jun 8, 2011
    873. Apr 6, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I've been sidelined since Sunday with a piercing knee pain. Two trips to the PT and no running so I figured it was time to try. May not have been the best idea. Had sharp pain within minutes, pushed through and now have strong muscle cramping like last time. I guess time will tell. But on the GPS side, I ran with my Motoactv but something told me to take the phone, too. So, I'm listening to the Moto and at the end of the first mile it said my pace was 16 min. 26 sec. Well, that did it. I started to bawl. It was the last straw. I was in pain and pushing past it and felt like I was running at least 14 mm only to find out I could walk quicker? I kept going because the pain didn't get any worse and at the end of mile 2 Moto said I was running an 18 mm. Now, I knew that was wrong so I checked the phone, where I also had Endomondo tracking and sure enough, I was running between 13 and 15 mm. All that drama for nothing and now I'm annoyed. The Motoactv was not cheap. If it can't track GPS as well as my iPhone, I have no use for it. The iPhone is heavy but not so heavy that I carrying it makes a difference. Just letting you all who are considering purchases in on one person's experience.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    874. Apr 6, 2012 1:06 PM (in response to mkayc)

mkayc,

Have you considered taking your knee pain over to The Med Tent?  Maybe one of the knowledgable people over there can help with diagnosis and cure.  One of the few times I took a break from running was due to knee pain something like what you describe.  After 8 weeks off (GAK!) the pain did not come back.  And it took me some time to figure out what had caused it - something I did that was totally unrelated to running.

Len

Len

• Croz69 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    875. Apr 6, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Heilo All!

I finished the C25K with my run this morning, doing the 5K in 33:28, not terrible, not fantastic. Loved the program, but now I'm a little stuck. Just trying to figure out where to go next with my running.

Looked at the bridge to 10k but don't think I want to do that yet.  I'd like to stick to running right now, and not a run/walk plan. Going into summer, the 5k race season is slowing down here in Florida. There are a ton of races when it's cooler, but when we get into 90+ degree days and 90+% humidity, they don't run as many races for some reason. :)

I'd like to keep running 3-4 days a week and work on improving my time and distance. I know the 10% per week rule for total distance. And I figure I'll stick to just 3 days a week for a couple weeks while I get more in the groove of running 3+ miles at a time.

So any suggestions of a running plan for the next few weeks?  I do much better with a stated plan I have to follow rather than just winging it.

Open to any and all suggestions and appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Bob

43 Years Old, 6' 2" tall.

255 pounds on January 1, 2012

220 pounds on April 7, 2012 (and still falling)

Started C25K February 7, 2012

Graduated April 6, 2012 with a 33:28 time

Tampa, Florida

Apr 6, 2012
    877. Apr 8, 2012 5:55 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Guayaquilwriter,

Thank you! I appreciate the congrats and also the pointers. I think your plan will become my plan. I was trying to figure out how to add a longer run in once a week and extend my days of running to more than 3 days a week and you've already solved those problems. So I'm going to give your plan a try.

My company is sending my wife and I to Hawaii for a week, the week of the 15th (tragic, I know. Try not to shed too many tears for me) So I'm probably just going to try to run my 3 miles a few days this week and next and start extending things when I get back.

Thanks again for the help. It feels great finishing the program. I tried to explain to a few people how great it feels just knowing you can run three miles without stopping and they just don't get it. Looking forward to my run tomorrow.

Tampa, Florida

Jun 8, 2011
    878. Apr 9, 2012 9:31 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len, thanks! I'll look for the med tent and check it out. I've been training for a HM on May 6th so am looking for options that do not include laying off. I was on schedule and in sight of 13.1 until last week and am now behind. Have only three weeks left to train and am a little twisted up about this.

Croz, looking at Richard's schedule and having tried to do something similar I now know that increase would be too aggressive for my body. A plan is a start. If you find your runs becoming frustrating when you start to add a day, relax into it and give yourself time to adjust. Whenever I add a day, I cut the mileage on my other runs short so that my total weekly mileage doesn't increase too much. If I don't do this, my body will do it anyway. Good luck!

27 days until the race and I have big plans for the next four weeks. I'm icing the knee 4x a day. Doing PT twice a week. Running at 6:30 am tues, thurs and sat or sun. and running hills tues and thurs. Now lets see if the brain/body goes along. I can't believe this might actually happen. If it does I am going to be the biggest crybaby.

Future starts now. Enjoy your runs!.

Mary Kay

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    879. Apr 9, 2012 4:19 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Deb- Way to go on the 5k following the 10k! Of course I think that's a fantastic time in and of itself, but a PR is a PR so go you.

Kathy- Sorry about your GPS. But I think with running we all have to find what works for us, not everyone will like the same gear. Hope you find the thing that works for you.

Hello and welcome to all the new folks that have just completed C25k and are joining this board, hope to see you around and talking about your runs!

Bob - I did "One Hour Runner" after C25k. I wasn't up to 3 miles yet, but it's time based like C25k so was a good transition for me (and no walk breaks anymore like Bridge to 10k does). I think that's a common question on this thread of what folks did after so you can probably look back a bit and see people's experiences.

MaryKay- So sorry to hear about your knee. I hope the PT helps. When's the last time you got a new pair of shoes? What are the insoles like in them? When I had foot issues crop up recently I got some more serious insoles for my high arches (though still not custom or anything) and it seems to have made a big difference. I also have stopped wearing my no-support flats and wear insoles as often as I can in all my other shoes. Seems to have helped though I was having foot issues not knee ones.

Well been really spotty here lately. Missed all my runs a few weeks ago due to work travel, then got back on track and did 20 miles with a 7 mile long run week before last. Saw a freaking rattle snake on my 7 mile just cruising along the path right where I was about to step. The human brain is an amazing thing; I'd already screamed and started moving away before my brain could even postulate that that was a poisonous snake I needed to avoid. Anyways went back to a more populated section to finish the 7 miles and think I have cured myself of any desire to run trails here for a little while, will go back to my asphalt road around the park I think for my long runs. Missed all my runs last week again due to work travel. Got in 4 miles today and was pretty brutal. Walked a LOT, but finished. Just trying to get through this week's runs at any pace, walking or running. Then next week maybe I can worry about taking fewer walk breaks. One thing at a time. Hope you are all having great runs!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

Jun 8, 2011
    880. Apr 10, 2012 8:17 AM (in response to _Miles)

Miles, sorry your runs have been difficult. Once you get back to a consistent schedule they might get easier. A rattlesnake? OMG !! Thanks for the shoe reminder. I have been breaking in new shoes so I tried wearing the older ones today, just in case.

Mary Kay

Jun 8, 2011
    881. Apr 10, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to mkayc)

Looked into the color races and they look like so much fun! I want to do one!! Can't decide on Columbus, Indianapolis or Louisville; they are all the same distance. Anyone interested?  http://thecolorrun.com/

Mary Kay

Apr 6, 2012
    882. Apr 11, 2012 7:05 AM (in response to _Miles)

_Miles, thanks for the pointer to One Hour Runner. The page on Coolrunning.com appears to be gone, but with a little googling, I found a page that details the program a bit. Looks pretty good. We have a trip to Hawaii next week, so I think I'm just going to stick to 3m / 3x per week until after we're back and then decide where to go from there.

And for cool runs, I want to do this one: http://runforyourlives.com/ but I'm a big zombie fan.

And getting that link, I see they're coming to Orlando in November! I'm there! The entry fee is steep ($67 for early birds) but what a blast it's going to be!

Tampa, Florida

• Aliciacs Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011
    883. Apr 11, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to Croz69)

Hello everyone!

Well, I started b210k, and it went pretty well. I was reluctant to start another program with walking breaks, but I had to try something new. It was hard, but it was my longest run yet, so I'm happy.

I did day 1 and 2, and then had a nasty cold that lasted a week. I was able to go out and run again this morning, but I didn't want to push it so I chose to do an easy 2.5 km run. I felt very tired after running, so I guess I'm not 100% well yet.

I have a 6k race this sunday, and that cold was an unexpected setback. I guess I will try to do a 10 minute run and 1 minute walk thing. I'm hoping to finish in 40 minutes or less.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

• sederleaf Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    884. Apr 11, 2012 8:08 AM (in response to Aliciacs)

I'll be running a 5K this Sunday, part of a big local charity run that finishes up in Michigan Stadium.  This was my first-ever event, so I will always love it, even though it draws >10,000 5K runners!  So crowded - there are no worries about wondering where the course is! 

I continue to work through Ease into 10K, (iPhone, intervals of progressively longer runs separated by 1 minute walk breaks.)  The 9 minute run still isn't feeling quite right, so I'll stay there until it does.  I like the format of this program - it is very gradual, which I feel is important given my long standing PF problems.

I missed my usual Sunday run due to Easter and what I feared was the beginning of a cold (turned out to be nothing, gladly.)  So, I fit in a short run Monday morning, and I'm going to work out tonight with a local womens' training group that is preparing for another local event in June.  Then maybe one more easy run before the race on Sunday. 

Happy Running!

Sally in MI

Started running August 2009

Big House Big Heart 5K 2009 – 37.42

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2010 – 37.45

Big House Big Heart 5K 2010 – 34.09

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2011 – 33.16

Dexter-AnnArbor 5K 2011 – 33.25

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2012 – 34.28

Big House Big Heart 5K 2012 – 33.30

Dexter-Ann Arbor 10K 2012 – 1:09:19

The Color Run 5K Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti 2012 – untimed