Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

186037 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 Go to original post 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 Previous Next
  • _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    885. Apr 12, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)
    After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

MaryKay- Color races look pretty cool. Nothing close enough to me though, at least not until 2013. You bring up a good idea though of finding more races for the wow factor. I like the suggestion from Croz69 as well for the zombie run. Was also poking about on here this week and saw this Firefly Race: http://fireflyrun.com/ Though again nothing close enough to me. One of these days I'd like to do a Disney race but that's a bit more complicated considering the additional expenses (hotel and of course I'd have to spend the day in the park too...) not to mention how fast those things sell out. Would love to hear anyone's suggestions for other unique races!

Alicia- Good luck on your 6k this weekend, sounds like you will do fine if you're already in the B210k. I mentioned above the One Hour Runner which  you can look into if you don't want to do walk breaks anymore after C25k. Most important though to find something that works for you.

sederleaf- Good luck on your 5k on Sunday, that sounds pretty crazy with 10k people! I agree with the gradual approach. I tend to get injured less often that way and less fatigued which means I miss fewer runs. Glad to hear you are not actually sick.

Did 4 miles yesterday. Was much cooler out in low 60s. Also remembered to get a little food beforehand. All that combined with me getting back into the groove meant I'm under 15 mm again finally. Have a 7 mile planned for tomorrow, avoiding any exciting trails where snakes may lurk of course. Hopefully it will go smoothly.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    886. Apr 14, 2012 3:03 PM (in response to _Miles)

Ahhahahahaha! Tell me if I have this right, Miles? You run with rattlesnakes and spiders and you are looking to add excitement to your runs???? Many of these gimmick races aren't really running. There was practically no running in the Mudathlon and I expect the color run will just be fun. Found a group who say they want to go to Louisville so I may be going. As for great races, I'm going to pick a destination and time of year I want to travel and then try to find a race that fits, particularly since I'd be running just for the experience and not to win.

I was going to put this weekend's races on hold to baby the knee but something woke me this morning and I went. I knew it would be a small group (about 300) and they said the course was flat. It didn't feel flat. It felt like a major effort but maybe I've already started to lose some stamina or I may have pushed hard. My splits were the best yet but I won't have a PR because the course was 3.24 and I've run a 5k with a course that was under 3 mi. Anyway, my goal is to run a 5k under 40 min by the end of the summer and this one was 41 min. so it feels good. Also, I won my age group but I may have been the only one in it. Regardless, I LOVE BLING!!Foot Pursuit 041412.jpg

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Aliciacs Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011
    887. Apr 14, 2012 6:24 PM (in response to mkayc)

Sederleaf: Good luck on you race tomorrow! Have fun!

Miles: I looked into the One Hour Runner program, but I feel I still need the walking breaks. I wish I didn't.

Those trails where you run seem scary! I could deal with snakes (sort of), but big spiders, eek!

Mary Kay, love your 1st place medal!!!

I'm about to go to bed, my 6k is tomorrow and I feel undertrained, what with my cold last week and everything. Good thing is that there will be almost 10000 runners, so I probably won't be last.

It's raining right now, but hopefuly it will stop. My problem with rain is that I'm afraid of falling. Am I supposed to wear different shoes or something? Because roads and sidewalks are slippery when wet. How do you deal with wet surfaces?

• Croz69 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    888. Apr 14, 2012 7:49 PM (in response to Aliciacs)

Aliciacs, good luck with your race tomorrow. Maybe your time off last week gave you a little extra rest? I hope it goes as well as you want it too. I predict at least 1000 runners behind you.

Mary Kay, congrats on your medal!

Haven't had any snakes on my runs yet. I have to be careful when I run at night though. We have these spiders that spin these big webs down from the trees lining our streets. They're really bad at night. One night I ran through three of them and on one I must have taken the spider with me as I could feel him crawling down the back of my head.

I prefer to run in the morning now.

43 Years Old, 6' 2" tall.

255 pounds on January 1, 2012

220 pounds on April 7, 2012 (and still falling)

Started C25K February 7, 2012

Graduated April 6, 2012 with a 33:28 time

Tampa, Florida

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    889. Apr 15, 2012 8:10 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Guayquilwriter....so glad to see you back posting again.  I have really enjoyed reading your posts. 

I started C25K early in 2011 and made some good progress for a non-runner starting at over 50, but then ended up with a hip stress fracture that had me sidelined for over 6 months with no weight bearing activities.  I started back slowly at the end of 2011 and have now built back to where I was prior to the injury.  My main focus is to keep consistent and stay healthy.  I have been enjoying a 5k each month since last November.  I finish and I'm not last place! 

My main challenge now will be finding ways to keep running during the Florida summer heat.  I am not a morning person, but I think I'll be limited to 6am runs or treadmill.  I've not tried the treadmill for long periods, so I guess that may be my summer challenge.

I am keeping myself limited to 5ks for the first year before I try to go longer.  My end of 2012 goal is to get the 5k below 40 minutes.  I am definitely a penguin.  I am mostly doing this for fitness as I get older, I am seeing so many of my older friends struggle with enjoying activities, because they haven't stayed active.   I want to be one of the inspiring 80 year olds I see at the 5ks.

This morning's long jog was 4.5 miles....ok so it took me and hour and 15 minutes... but I kept going!

Waddle on.......

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

Jun 8, 2011
    890. Apr 15, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to FLkayakgrl)

FLkayakgrl, welcome back!  What a great story of persistence and struggle!! I am also trying to run a 5k under 40 min. this summer. I'm sure we'll do it! There's an inspiring woman named Phyllis on the 50 and Over, What Are Your Challenges thread. She's 87 and started speed walking just last year. She's off to the Senior Games in 2013 and has such a great attitude!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    891. Apr 15, 2012 8:50 PM (in response to mkayc)

MaryKay - WooHoo on the medal!  Bling is bling and you've earned it.  I hope this means the knee is better.

FLkayakgirl - welcome back.  I'm glad you are back to 100%.  Penguin or not makes no difference - forward momentum is all that matters.

Alicia and Sederleaf - how did you races go this weekend? 

Miles - I hope the long run was uneventful - no scary critters leaping out at you. 

Croz 69 - eewww spiders.  I shivered when I got to the part about him crawling down the back of your head.  <shudder>.  I had trouble with  a mockingbird attacking the back of my head last  summer every time I ran past the nest - obviously I changed my route!  I can't wait to see if they nest in the same place this year.

No running for me this weekend.  I chaperoned another Boy Scout trip.  But we did do a 7 mile hike (and I was carrying a backpack, even if it was just a daypack).   We were up at 5:00, on the shuttle bus by 6:00, and at the trailhead by 6:20.  Here in Mass. it is Patriot's Day weekend commemorating the "shot heard round the world."  We hiked the Isaac Davis Trail which retraces the route along which Isaac Davis led the Acton minutemen to the Old North Bridge on April 19, 1775.  Much of the trail runs along paved roads, but there are parts on wooded trails too.  Two stops for brief ceremonies with speeches, musket shots, and wreath laying.  (for those who might have forgotten  their colonial history - Capt. Davis was the first minuteman killed at the Old North Bridge).  It was quite a group - the Camporee had to have had over 1,000 Scouts and adult leaders/chaperones - one Troop from as far away as Michigan! This is a wonderful time to come to Massachusetts - and not just because of the Boston Marathon.

(apologies for the duplication to anyone on the thread "My Last Run was . . . How was Yours" as this is a total cut and paste from my post there LOL)

Happy running!

Nov 4, 2011
    892. Apr 16, 2012 10:12 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Croz 69: I'm arachnophobic, so what you described would be an absolute nightmare for me!

A very short recap of my race:

After a rainy Saturday night, Sunday morning was perfect. Not one cloud! A little warm for my taste, but a beautiful morning.

They announced there were 8000 runners, but only 4481 show up on the website, so I don't know what's up with that.

I took my first walking break at km 4. Walked for about 2 minutes. Then after km 5 I started walking again, but a nice man encouraged me to keep running. It's amazing how a little encouragement can help you find strength when you thought you had no more. So, thank you kind (and good looking ) stranger!

My time was 41:27 (6km), and I was a little disappointed. I was expecting to do 40 minutes. I'm still happy I ran this race, and try to keep in mind that a year ago I would have never dreamed of it, I just wish I was a little faster!

3502 out of 4483 people.

1400 out of 2082 women.

I am resting today, and tomorrow back to training. My next race is a women 5k, on May 6th.

Have a great week everybody!

Jul 26, 2009
    893. Apr 16, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

MaryKay - You had me laughing, you make it sound like the snakes and spiders are running right alongside with me! LOVE the medal. Am glad you decided to go out and do the run anyways, sounds like it was worth it both for the awesome reward and for the confidence builder that you can get a new PR before the end of summer, I know you can do it!

Aliciacs - I do take it a little slower on rainy days but find longer pants and a good thin rain jacket are about all I need otherwise. Something to keep the rain off of me and keep the wind out when it is wet. I've gotten to where I really enjoy rainy days because they are something different and keep my runs interesting. Don't mean to complain about all the sunny days here, but they do get sort of repetetive

Croz - That sounds pretty freaky, I think I'd wake all the neighbors up if I really took a spider with me like that!

Flkayakgrl - You sound like you have a great attitude. I am not much faster than you and have found lately I really enjoy my longer, slower jogs especially when I don't worry about pace and just go for it. I'm really impressed that you have come back from injury and have been completing so many 5ks!

Deb - I think 7 miles is 7 miles, whether you ran it or hiked it, still completed an impressive distance. Sounds like a really fun trip with the boy scouts, a little bit of nature and a little bit of history.

7 miles on Friday went well. Was supposed to rain, but Mr. Sunshine hung around for most of my run. I feel like sometimes after mile 3 or 4 I sort of get into the groove of it and can just keep going without really thinking about it. Not exactly runner's high but sort of runner's indifference which is pretty nice since I don't have to spend the second half of the run trying to convince myself not to stop and walk all the time. No exciting animals unless you count all the ducks I see at the park. Nice springtime weather here, warming up but still cool most days. Like Flkayakgrl I am dreading the heat of summer that is soon approaching and I don't even have the humidity to deal with. When it's been in the upper 70s here recently I feel like I'm going to melt, it's funny that I can't remember how I was even able to run in the upper 90s last summer, going to be tough to get used to this summer I think! Hope you all had good runs and good races if you raced this past weekend!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

• sederleaf Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    894. Apr 16, 2012 11:03 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Debm2011 - Wow - that's quite a hike.  Sounds like fun! 

I have not yet had any direct wildlife encounters on my run/walks (a bird attach would freak me out!), but I had a scare from a German Shepherd last summer.  He was on a leash but didn't like sharing the path with me and his leash-holder didn't seem too familiar with this dog and how to keep him/her under control.  Really scared me, and afterward, I actually thought about carrying mace on my runs.

We had rain and thunder yesterday morning for our local races.  I monitored Facebook in case of postponement, but alas the 10K started on time, and when it was time for the 5K, the rain completely stopped.  I'm very happy with my run - I kept to my plan of running for 7 minutes and walking for 1 to pace myself and finish strong.  It was challenging enough, though!  There was a lot of "traffic" in terms of walkers, strollers, little kids, etc, so I did a fair number of mini-sprints to get around those.  All in all, a fun festive race jam packed with active people. 

No significant day after aches.  I got up and did my yoga routine first thing this morning and just got back from a brisk 30 minute walk, so I'm happy with the recovery too.  Now, to see if I can build up more mileage for the 10K in June . . .

I hope everyone had fun with their training/races this weekend

Sally in MI

Started running August 2009

Big House Big Heart 5K 2009 – 37.42

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2010 – 37.45

Big House Big Heart 5K 2010 – 34.09

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2011 – 33.16

Dexter-AnnArbor 5K 2011 – 33.25

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2012 – 34.28

Big House Big Heart 5K 2012 – 33.30

Dexter-Ann Arbor 10K 2012 – 1:09:19

The Color Run 5K Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti 2012 – untimed

Mackinac Island 8 Mile Run 2012 – 1:34.52

A2 Turkey Trot 10K 2012 – 1:10:55

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2013 - 34:49

Race to Empower 5K 2013 33:16

Dexter-Ann Arbor Half Marathon 2013

Jun 8, 2011
    895. Apr 16, 2012 11:44 AM (in response to sederleaf)

Great job Sally and Aliciacs!!! Sally, I love that you enjoyed your race and you're happy with your run. Traffic can be very annoying but you didn't let it rattle you much. Big win!! And, Aliciacs, nice to hear you found inspiration. Yes, attention from an attractive man will make a woman do things she might not normally do. I'm talking about running, of course.

Deb, what fun being in that huge group and surrounded by history! I hope you all enjoyed it!! A seven mile hike while watching boys and camping counts!!

Miles, I know just what you mean. I often completely remember nothing between miles five and six; I look at my phone and it's mile 5 and then it seems like minutes later I look again and it's mile 6. Don't you love it?

Mary Kay

Jul 26, 2009
    896. Apr 16, 2012 4:32 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Aliciacs - Way to go on your race! It can be especially tiring to work your way around a lot of walkers too, so I think you did great given how many people it sounds like were there. And love the story of the stranger's encouragement.

sederleaf - Way to go on your race and on sticking to your plan. Sounds like it has paid off in you not only finishing strong but feeling strong the next day as well.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

Nov 4, 2011
    897. Apr 16, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to _Miles)

Thanks everyone!

Deb, a 7 mile hike is quite impressive, good for you!

_Miles, I loved the term 'runner's indifference', hahaha, I think I'm gonna start using it

Sederleaf, congrats on your race! Glad you had fun.

Jul 26, 2009
    898. Apr 19, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I continue pressing along here. Am switching my runs back from the middle of the day to after work due to the heat and the longer days. Have a new pair of shoes on order. My current pair has about 275 miles on them and have had a few foot issues this week (as in heel pain). Can't be certain it's the shoes getting old and not something else like maybe just need to get used to my weekly miles, but figure I will need shoes before long so might as well be prepared. And have heard it's a good idea to rotate shoes to keep from pounding the same spots all the time.

The heat was really getting to me this week and it's only been about 80 during the day. Was drinking water all morning and still felt dehydrated on my 4 and 5 mile runs. My evening run was in a slightly cooler place, and though with larger elevation gains not quite as up and down as my normal run. Managed to go from 15+ minute miles in the mid day heat to sub 14 at the park. Crazy how much a difference temperature alone can make! My 4 mile race is about a month away now. Trying to decide if I really need to taper or not that week, or just continue to do what I'm doing. Since I'm not particularly fast I'm not sure time is that important to me, and think I might benefit from continuing to build up the weekly miles rather than focusing too much on the race aspect. Plus, it is only 4 miles, right? Anyways, hope you are all having good runs out there!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    899. Apr 22, 2012 7:36 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Alicia and Sally - great races!  Woohoo!

Miles - "runner's indifference"  LOL  I love new shoes.  What are you getting? Dont' worry too much - by the time it is really hot you will have acclimated a little more (fingers crossed).  I was wondering the same thing myself when I realized that last year I eased into  both running and heat.  I'll just keep setting my alarm nice and early to get out while it's still temperate.

7.5 miles this morning  - running if you can call it that.  lol  Actually, miles 1-3 were brutal ($#%! calves) but from 3-7.5 miles Iwas totally in the zone.  That makes up for a really rough last week.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...