Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2221 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2011 11:32 AM by CanyonClimber RSS
CanyonClimber Rookie 4 posts since
May 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 12, 2011 3:00 PM

A few questions

Hi all,  I started the C-5K program during the last week of April.  I am 24, bordering on overweight, and looking primarily to get back into shape.  I have not done any significant running since fifth grade, but played a little bit of football (soccer) the last year of college.  I have no plans to race any time soon, but would consider it at some point in the future.  I am running into a couple of problems; foremost, I am having major issues with breath control.  Specifically, I seem to have made no improvements whatsoever in my lung capacity.  I attempted to start the week-3 running yesterday, but could only get through 1.5 sets before getting so tired I had to stop.  Are there any tricks I can employ to try to work around this?

Second, I have had persistent problems with my left calf cramping, beyond just the running; on occasion I climb mountains, and the left calf always cramps badly for awhile before finally letting go enough to let me finish climbing the mountain.  Once it stops cramping I'm fine and can walk basically forever.  I stretch before and after, and do a few different warmups.  The right rarely ever gives me trouble.  I stay hydrated, eat fairly well, and to my knowledge have no injuries.  Any thoughts?

On a second note, I am debating trying to get my parents to try this program.  They are both late-50s.  My mom is not in good shape but is not especially overweight, I think this program would be very good for her.  My dad, however, is about 300 lbs and has not run for many years.  Would this program be remotely suggested for him?

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. May 12, 2011 4:26 PM (in response to CanyonClimber)
    Re: A few questions

CanyonClimber wrote:

Hi all,  I started the C-5K program during the last week of April.  I am 24, bordering on overweight, and looking primarily to get back into shape.  I have not done any significant running since fifth grade, but played a little bit of football (soccer) the last year of college.  I have no plans to race any time soon, but would consider it at some point in the future.  I am running into a couple of problems; foremost, I am having major issues with breath control.  Specifically, I seem to have made no improvements whatsoever in my lung capacity.  I attempted to start the week-3 running yesterday, but could only get through 1.5 sets before getting so tired I had to stop.  Are there any tricks I can employ to try to work around this?

Second, I have had persistent problems with my left calf cramping, beyond just the running; on occasion I climb mountains, and the left calf always cramps badly for awhile before finally letting go enough to let me finish climbing the mountain.  Once it stops cramping I'm fine and can walk basically forever.  I stretch before and after, and do a few different warmups.  The right rarely ever gives me trouble.  I stay hydrated, eat fairly well, and to my knowledge have no injuries.  Any thoughts?

On a second note, I am debating trying to get my parents to try this program.  They are both late-50s.  My mom is not in good shape but is not especially overweight, I think this program would be very good for her.  My dad, however, is about 300 lbs and has not run for many years.  Would this program be remotely suggested for him?

First, you're body is working hard to adjust to running.  Don't be afraid to repeat a week.  You need to learn to listen to and trust your body.

Second, with respect to your calf, I had the same problem last year, starting in February or March.  My last bout came at Thanksgiving, when I was 6 miles into a planned long run.  In my case I believe the cramps were due to becoming a runner again.  Don't stretch before you run, but make sure that you warm up before you run.  Also, (1) buy a Stick or foam roller and really dig into your different calf muscles and (2) work on strengthening your calves with toe lifts and balancing on one leg.

Finally, the C25K program works, regardless of age.  I know folks who have lost tons of weight doing it.  Just remember that everyone is different and may have to take it more slowly than others.

Good luck and run long.

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. May 12, 2011 6:34 PM (in response to CanyonClimber)

The thing I will add in relation to breathing problems is to slow down. Probably 98% of beginning runners who have breathing problems resolve them by running slower.

I think Surfing Vol is right on the money on the calf problem.  If you have a knot or trigger point it can be hard to get rid of and will keep popping up.  Check this article:

http://www.thestick.net/Articles/Calf_%20Heart_%20Attack.htm

And this previous thread:

http://community.active.com/thread/74088

Your parents should have a good physical first, letting the doctor know what they have in mind.  Then they might want to start with a solid walking program before getting into C25K. Particularly your dad, though you don't say how tall a frame those pounds are on.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. May 13, 2011 4:03 PM (in response to CanyonClimber)

Uh, yeah . . . that kind of change in altitude has a BIG effect, and would even on an experienced runner.  Still, the advice to slow down applies, at least until you acclimate to the altitude change.   I would give the same advice to that experienced runner.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points