Skip navigation

1020 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2011 5:34 AM by Tom Nun RSS
Tom Nun Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2011 3:01 PM

Sidelined by...a pinky finger??!

Hi all -

I'm a novice age-grouper (first Oly-distance in 2010) who set my sights on a second Oly in July 2011 and a 70.3 in Sept. Felt like I was on track with my training when I busted my left pinky playing indoor soccer. Unfortunately, it required surgery. So, here I sit with stitches in one hand and a bag of Doritos in the other. I'd like to resume some kind of training program but don't know how far to push it. I know swimming is out (at least until the stitches are gone) but feel like I could handle some running and maybe even a ride or two.

Curious if anyone has been in similar straits and how they coped.  For example, how do you keep sweat and road grime away from a surgical incision? Any cross-training advice? I'm not really addicted to this stuff (...isn't the first step admitting we have a problem??) but would be disappointed to totally walk away from the 8 weeks of effort I have invested so far.

Thanks in advance!!!

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 18, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to Tom Nun)
    Re: Sidelined by...a pinky finger??!

Hey Tom,

Aaaaahhh that's too bad! I grew up playing soccer & love indoor! But, sucks to break your finger.

I also like Doritos ... I ate nine million of them after I finished my first irondistance event. But now, years later, and with some massive willpower, I'm just saying no to Doritos at the grocery store.

I'm not sure I want to see a picture (ew) but is it something you can wrap while running or riding? Or is it something you can use liquid bandaid with?

For sure I'd want to keep training and like you mentioned, pay attention to the open wound & keep it clean and infection free.

I know even little breaks take a long time to fully heal, but at least the incision should wrap up soon. Keep positive & focused on the months ahead & I wish you a quick recovery.

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points