Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1119 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2011 8:25 AM by dwm082
madams1975 Amateur 8 posts since
Jul 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2011 12:23 PM

Question on adjusting training after bad days

Hi there,

I am a fairly new runner, been at it for a little over a year now. I have done a handful of 5k races and am working on a training plan for my first 10k in June. My schedule is 3 days a week of running plus 2 days cross training. Last week I had a set amount of miles scheduled for Saturday, and when I went out I got about 2 miles in and had to run/walk the rest of the way. I made the full distance, but I would say I did about 30-40% of it walking. This distance should have abeen a nice easy slow run for me. I know bad runs happen so I am not sweating it too much, but I am confused a little as to what this means for my overall training plan. This week I had scheduled a lighter week as I have a 5k race this sunday. But I feel like I should maybe add in some more mileage this week to compensate for last week's bad run and the walking - focusing more on the 10k in June. I am not sure what the best course of action is, whether to focus on increasing mileage or just stick with the plan since I did still put the workout in, even if it was half walking?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 16, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to madams1975)
    Re: Question on adjusting training after bad days

Let it go, and move on with your training plan.  You had a bad day, but you did get the miles in.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Any number of things could have contributed.  Maybe you didn't sleep well; maybe you did yard work the day before; maybe it was extra hot/humid; maybe you didn't hydrate well.  Trying to compensate usually doesn't work well, particularly with a 5K this weekend.  I went out Sunday with the goal of 14 miles, ended up doing 12, and it wasn't a very good 12.  It was warm and humid (dew point = temp, which is a bad sign), I didn't hydrate real well, and I didn't feel up for it mentally or physically.  I'll get 14 in a couple weeks.  I'm doing a half-marathon this weekend, so maybe it was just as well that I came up a little short.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. May 17, 2011 6:35 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I agree with Len, stay on your plan.

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 17, 2011 8:25 AM (in response to madams1975)

+1 to what the others said. No reason to get derailed over a single off-day.

If you find that you're having problems with several workouts in a row, though, you need to take a look at what's causing that. Typical issues are heat, humidity, pre-run/in-run fueling, fatigue, stress, sleep, hydration (both before and during), shoes, surface on which you're running, and incline/hilliness. If you can't reasonably point to one or several of these as a contributing factor to multiple bad outings, it could be that you're trying to push your body too hard. Maybe you're overtraining or running too fast for your fitness.

Again, don't get too worked up over one run. If it's a recurring issue, it makes sense to look at the broad picture and see what's going on there.

Good luck with your training!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...