Skip navigation

5769 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2009 7:22 PM by Bhusn RSS 1 2 Previous Next
WaterDog66 Amateur 39 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2005 9:12 AM

FLOOD (In My Eyes): Leaky Goggles

I have been training for about 6 months for an Olympic Distance Triathlon and I swim 1600M 4 to 5 days a week as part of my training.

I recently started to experience something very strange.

I can no longer keep my goggles from leaking water. I have tried several different brands of goggles, all of which used to work great. (I have had the best luck with Tyr in the past)

I have lost some weight as the result of my training and my face is much less fleshy. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause this.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? (Some sort of product to use or a goggle recommendation)

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 25, 2005 6:50 AM (in response to WaterDog66)
    Re: FLOOD (In My Eyes): Leaky Goggles

Keep trying new brands.  There are goggles made for faces of all sizes and shapes.  Keep experimenting and one of them is bound to work.

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 25, 2005 9:18 AM (in response to WaterDog66)

When I want to make sure that absolutely no water gets in my goggles I use Aquasphere Caiman goggles. They have big silicone seals that seal tightly. Also, if you've lost weight, you may need a different size goggle, or at least a different size nose bridge.

• aqua baby Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 31, 2005 11:39 AM (in response to WaterDog66)

i know how you feel... speed sockets by speedo are my favourite for training and racing. speedo is a great brand for all swim gear. try them and let me know they are the bomb

• Induna Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 6, 2005 7:50 AM (in response to WaterDog66)

agreed - speed sockets by speedo after many tries and dollars..

• Bonnie Spivey Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Sep 6, 2005 7:48 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

I coach swimmers of all ages and train triathletes.  Most goggles need to be worn the right way.  Be sure that the strap is straight around the back of your head not on your neck. The black foam around the goggles are much better than the plastic too. Do not split straps if you happen to get split straps.  The nose piece can be adjusted on most goggles too. 

The foamless goggles dig in to most people and give a headache especially if you are a novice swimmer and get kicked in the head in a race.

Tighter for races and ocean swims helps too.

Try a little water in your goggles  to keep them from fogging up. Put your head down and youwon't have the water in your eyes and your stroke will be a whole lot more efficient.  That's a 500 dollar tip.  B from swimkids

• lilienkamp1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Oct 20, 2005 3:48 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

I train regularly at 2,000 meters, and have found Aqua Sphere (an Italian-made brand) nearly foolproof.  Each end of the strap has a serrated edge, with a ratchet device on the left and right to hold any particular adjustment in place once it is made.  I found them at a local bicycle store that caters to triathletes.  The left and right ratchets make them superior to other brands that have only the serrated strap edge.  I must wear contact lenses (soft in one eye, hard in the other to correct a corneal deformity), and have experienced no trouble with these goggles so far in four competitions.

• sholcomb Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Oct 20, 2005 6:41 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

I use the Aqua Sphere's for tri's.  Fit is great and vision is better than goggles.  I have a slender face and accidently found that Speedo "Kids" goggles work perfectly.  Others who have tried the Kids version have had similar results.

• tllevenson Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Oct 20, 2005 7:34 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

TYR Rocket Sockets  are the ONLY ones I have found that don't leak in the pool (and bonus-don't leave a huge ring around your eyes) strangely enough, they are also one of the cheapest to buy- make sure you get the mirrored ones if you're swimming outdoors or else you'll be blind! I have tried EVERY brand of goggle out there (I have a full box!) and it actually seems like the ones with the least "padding" are the best for not leaking. Open water (ocean) I would probably want a bigger field of vision so something like a Seal Mask is really good. Thats never leaked for me in all the races I have done in open water. You can order them online for like $9.

• swimboy7 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Oct 20, 2005 7:43 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

Have you tried swedish goggles? I am positive they are the best thing since Gu. They are cheaper than buying a meal at Carl's Jr. and can be adjusted to anyone. I would also suggest buying the optional bungee strap as the included latex strap will wear out after a few months and is harder to adjust. No padding can be uncomfortable at first but, if you tough it out for a week or so you get to the point you can wear them for hours and feel no discomfort. Plus the whole pick your own color thing is great! I have clear ones for inside and black ones for outside. Very versital. Good luck!

• Chandraflinn Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Oct 20, 2005 10:32 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

I just started swimming about 3 months ago to train for a triathlon and tried several goggles. The ones that absolutely DO NOT leak are the speedo air seal.  I purchased them at Copeland's Sport for around $22. They are comfortable and I can do my entire workout and open water swims without having to adjust them at all.

• EDMONDSENG Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Oct 24, 2005 6:29 AM (in response to WaterDog66)

I have used the same pair of Barracuda goggles for over ten years with great success. Recently when they started leaking I discovered that they were leaking between the lens and the frame. I removed the lens and reglued it with platic glue and the problem was solved. Barracuda has a superior seal of soft good quality foam rubber that fits around the eye socket and the frame has adjustments that can be made for the fit of the lenses.Hopr this helps you.

• coffelj Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Oct 27, 2005 1:25 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

I agree with the swedish goggles.  I have been swimming competitively since I was 8 years old and am now 32 and swear by those.  I also like the versatility that the different colors provide for indoor and outdoor swimming.  The price makes it extremely convenient to own several pairs.  You can find them at Keifers.com.  Usually under $4 a pair.  You put them together yourself and you adjust everything to fit your face perfectly.  Great in the ocean.  I just swam the San Francisco Bay with no problems whatsoever.

• RandyMolson Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Oct 31, 2005 7:26 PM (in response to WaterDog66)

I swim 2700M 5 days a week.  I second the Barracuda recommendation.  They are expensive (around $35) but worth it.  They are the closed-cell foam type.   Besides being leak-proof, they are comfortable...no red goggle prints on your face!  My last pair lasted over 10-years before I bought a replacement.  They are available in different lense shapes that fit faces differently, so you should try on the different shapes at the store for the best fit.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...