Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2558 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2011 6:48 AM by akaerock
Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
Apr 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2011 7:17 AM

Backwards Progress & Training for first 5K

I've been running for about 12 weeks now.  Of course I had my moments where I seemed to be in a rut and not make any progress, but then I broke through that rut and started making noticeable improvements.  In a couple of weeks my avg pace went from 12:40 min/mi to around 10:30 min/mi.  I ran a 10:30 pace for a few days and was feeling good about myself.  But then every day this week, my pace has slowed down little by little.  Yesterday I was back up to an 11:50 min/mi.  At first, I thought I just had a bad day or maybe two of running, but now I'm just started to get really frustrated seeing my pace slide backwards, especially since it just seems to keep going backwards instead of leveling off or starting to improve again.  I'm hoping to run my first 5K on June 25th, but would really like to be down to a 10 min/mi by then.  Any suggestions on new ways for me to train?  Or advice on how to start making progress again and get down to my goal pace before the race next month?

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    1. May 20, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to Katie21784)
    Re: Backwards Progress & Training for first 5K

It could be a number of things that is/are contributing to your slowing down trend.  Hydration, time of day, weather, especially heat and humidity for me, just to name a few.  I know when it's hot and/or humid, I drag along like a snail.  It feels like a ton of bricks are in my shoulders.  My wife and I started running in the evenings, sometimes even after dark, and that helps so much, because it's cooler and dryer.  Don't be so focused on the time for your first 5K.  You should only focus on finishing a 5K before you start beating yourself up over the time.  Good luck and don't give up.  You will bounce back.

Simon

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. May 20, 2011 7:50 AM (in response to Alder2011)

Simon,

Is right about heat and humidity we live it in NC.   Try to mix up your routine a little that should help.  You may not like this answer but for me during the summer I never see my results until fall when it gets cool again and then I am faster than I was last year!  If I compare last summer to this summer I can see results, but not if I compare to Nov-Apr.  Good Luck stay with it and you might surprise yourself!   Lifetime goals not short term ones.

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    4. May 20, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to Katie21784)

I know that's right.  I used to run hurdles and sprint relays in High School.  Those days are gone.  Now I'm lucky if I can jump over a water puddle that approaches me on my running path....... HA HA.  But you are right, we have been there, done that, and we can get there again.  It's just going to take time.  I'm sure your running friends are glad you are just getting out there, and they can incourage you as well.  Someday soon, maybe you can race along side them, but for now, just do it for you.  You'll get there, and they will be proud to have you there with them when the time is right. 

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• Jack Stromburg Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010
    5. May 20, 2011 9:54 AM (in response to Katie21784)

BOSNPM's advice is good; I have found if I run every other day, and do some cross training on the off days(bicyling, swimming, or a gym workout), that I progress faster. It also helps to vary your running style, a slow long run one day (maybe 4 miles), a fast short run another (1 to 2 miles at a pace slightly faster than you intend to race), and once or twice a week run your 5K distance at just under your ran pace (the fastest pace you can run and still finish).  By mixing up your training routine you will progress faster.  It also helps by keeping the routine from becoming boring.

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    6. May 20, 2011 3:31 PM (in response to Katie21784)

The others have given good suggestions on how to improve your time, such as varying your running regimen - long slower runs, short faster runs, etc.  For your long slower runs, try to aim for a 10 minute mile pace and you'll see that you actually will be able to run further.  Trying to run at an 8 minute mile pace and then walking may seem good during the running part but your average may turn out higher than if you ran slow in the first place.  It takes patience to run slower but if you want to run further without stopping to walk a bit that is what you may have to do.  Try all of the different advises you'll get and see which one works for you the best.  Good luck on your training and keep us posted on it, as well as on your first 5K.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    8. May 23, 2011 6:48 AM (in response to Katie21784)

Good Job Katie. You will get to 5k very soon. Happy RUNNING!

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points