Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1389 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2011 1:44 PM by BucaBucaLizLiz RSS
caniseetoo Amateur 34 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 22, 2011 5:40 PM

Please Talk Me Down From the Ledge!

I ran a 5K this morning and did a PR coming in just under 30 min.  Well, or course I am excited and happy and proud of myself!  So this feeling has stayed with me all day and just about 1/2 hour ago I signed up for my first *gulp* half marathon!  OMG what have I done?!?

I know I have plenty of time to train.  I know I can go at least 10 miles because I did the Philly Broad Street Run which is 10 miles.  But OMG, a half marathon?  And I'm still struggling mentally with the 3 miles I run every other day!

Please chime in with some stories about how you didn't think you could but you did.  I could really use some inspiration as I'm relatively new to running and, like I said, I still struggle mentally with my short runs. I feel like I have to really LOVE running to be accomplished at it.

How do you all feel about your running?

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    1. May 23, 2011 10:35 PM (in response to caniseetoo)
    Re: Please Talk Me Down From the Ledge!

Congrats on your PR, and also for the courage to set a new goal for yourself.  As you mentioned you have done a 10 miler so 3 more miles should be within reach.  I did my first 5K last September (2010), walking the entire distance as I had not yet started running.  Had not heard of C25K but did something very similar to it all on my own.  My first 5K in which I ran portions of it was in early November and I did a couple more 5Ks that month, finally breaking the 30 minute barrier in the last one.  That gave me the courage to sign up for a new challenge, a half marathon in mid January 2011.  I had no delusions of running the entire distance as I still had not run an entire 5K at that point.  I ramped up my training and for Christmas I gave myself a present, I was able to run/walk 13.2 miles on December 26.  Guess all of the food I ate on Christmas gave me extra energy   I was able to run an entire 5K for the first time in a midnight New Year's eve race, setting a new PR.  What made the half marathon less daunting for me was that I was able to convince a couple of friends to do it with me.  It made me feel better knowing others in the race, standing with them as we waited for the start of the race, and just enjoying the whole atmosphere of the race.  I planned on carrying my camera and take pictures of anything and everything.  One thing I wanted to take pictures of were the mile markers, to prove to myself that I did it.  The excitement of the race carried me through and I ran the first six miles nonstop - I had never done that before!!!  I slowed down a bit in the second half, or so I thought, by walking some before running.  My training routine was as I was listening to a song in my iPod, whenever a song started up I would walk the first 30 seconds of the song and then run the rest of the song.  So I did this the last 7.1 miles of the race and it didn't really slow down my pace much as I was able to finish the race in a much faster time than I had imagined.  So it's okay to set that half marathon goal in front of you.  You can walk off the ledge.  It is very do-able, especially with your experience.  Just have fun with it.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    2. May 24, 2011 7:36 AM (in response to caniseetoo)

Congratulations on your 5k PR!!  If you've already done a 10 mile race and enjoyed it enough to come back and keep running you'll be just fine.  Most people that I know either end up hating running and quit or just get one long race in and then call it good and quit or they end up enjoying it so much they keep doing it and grow to love it.  I'm the later,  I've been running very steady for over 4 yrs now and have done 6 marathons, several half marathons and a bunch of 5k,10k, 20k and 20 mile races.  At first I worried that I couldn't do it or that I was not going to hold up but I just loved how running made me feel and how much I liked training for races that I kept it going and the longer I kept running the more I fell in love with it.  My first year I trained for my first marathon and it was so hard but so rewarding once I got through the training and actually did the race.  Literally as I crossed the finish line I was already getting excited to start training for the next one.  I remember struggling with short runs, not really wanting to commit to doing them but knowing that I had a race to train for kept me coming back and like I said i just grew to love running.  Now the short runs are 8-10 miles instead of 2-4 and I still sometimes have to drag myself out the door at times but when I actually get through those runs I always end up feeling great.

Good luck and be patiant, as your base of miles grows so does your conditioning which makes those hard to do runs easier to get through.  Follow your training and focus on the prize...... crossing that finish line is such a great feeling!  Most of all have fun and try not to stress,  you really CAN do it! 

Pete

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. May 24, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to caniseetoo)

I'll take all the company I can get up on the ledge!

I don't honestly remember much about my first half, or whatever "training" I did for it.  My recollection is my longest prior run had been a 10K race.  Somebody told me about this half-marathon and I thought I might try it.  There was a theory at the time that you could complete, by slowing your pace, a distance equal to three times your longest training run.  So I signed up.  It was not a day to write home about.  I walked a fair amount in the later miles.  But I finished.  And I've been at it ever since.  I ran that particular race 23 years in a row (the Philadelphia Distance Run).  I'll miss it this year, but it recently became an RnR event and just doesn't have the same feel.

But heck, you ran Broad Street, a half-marathon will be no problem.  Just extend your training distance a little and you'll be ready to go.  Is it the RnR Philly Half?  It's a nice flat course, with lots of company.

Len

Len

• schmidbc Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009
    4. May 24, 2011 10:20 AM (in response to caniseetoo)

I actually found myself in a similar situation a few years ago. I was watching the Boston marathon as an undergrad at Boston College, and I thought, I could do that. Meanwhile, I had recently just raced a 5K and done well, but was a recreational runner who probably hadn't run more than 5 consecutive miles. True, I had run sprints in high school, but racing was just not my thing.

I started training for the marathon using the runner's world beginner marathon plan, after I had built up a solid base. Luckily, I was very active and exercised almost every day anyway, so increasing my running mileage per week wasn't a HUGE issue. I jumped wholeheartedly into my long runs, listening to my body, keeping myself from getting injured (which is the main concern for beginning marathoners). I raced the Philly marathon 6 months later, with a time of 3:42. It was amazing! Since then, I have realized that I don't really ENJOY marathon running as much as I do half marathons or 10 milers (I actually just raced Broad Street this year as well!), nor do I do as well in them, but the moral of my story is, you can do it! Follow a training plan, be smart, listen to what your body needs. Keep your shorter runs, but make sure to add a longer run (8-10 miles) once a week. I have no doubt that since you can run 10, you can run 13.1. I've also found that crosstraining is a huge help, easy swimming or biking keeps my legs from getting tight in between runs.

Good luck!

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    5. May 24, 2011 8:58 PM (in response to caniseetoo)

If you can run 10 miles, yes, you can indeed run a half marathon. Have a look at Hal Higdon's novice training program for the half. This is a very reputable 12 week program, where the longest training run (before the actual half) is 10 miles.    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

As for "how you didn't think you could but you did", well, I ran my first marathon in 2009. I've been racing since 1986, but almost entirely at 5K/10K distances. After two successful halves, I decided it was finally time for the big challenge. When I started the 18 week training program for the marathon, I had never run longer than about 14 miles. By marathon day, I'd done exactly two runs in my life of 20+ miles, and I'd never run 26.2. I was headed into the only race of my life where I hadn't done the full distance in training. Was I nervous? No. I had to just trust that the training was going to get me through the great unknown, and indeed it did.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• BucaBucaLizLiz Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    7. May 25, 2011 1:44 PM (in response to caniseetoo)

Your story sounds really similar to mine!  On a whim, my friends and I signed up for the RnR half in Las Vegas last December.  I didn't really train that much.  I was spinning 4-5 days a week, so I was in decent shape, but not really running a lot.  Before the race I did a couple long-ish runs (~4-6 mi), and signed up for a 10K about a month before just to prove to myself that I could run a long race (before that my longest race was a 5K).  I was super nervous about the race, but I ended up having a blast!  The energy of all the runners and the people lining the strip cheering us on really kept me going!  I walked a fair bit of it, especially at the end, but I still finished (2:42), and I had so much fun that I signed up for another half the following March.  I still walked a lot, but I was 10 min faster.  I'm in a place right now where I am kind of ambivalent about running - some days I like it, some days I don't - but I really like racing and the feeling of crossing the finish line, and I know that if I want to keep getting better (or just not feel like I'm about to die at the end of the race) I need to keep up the training in between races.  My next half will be in November (just after my 30th birthday!) and my goal is to run the whole thing.  Just keep up the training and you'll do great!  Like I said my longest run before my first half was about 6 mi, so if you already know you can run 10, a half should be a breeze for you!  Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...