Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6311 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 11:29 PM by Nursey318 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 25, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to CeLisa323)
    Re: Starting C25K tonight (5-23-2011), anyone with me?

I'm in!  After a few (sigh) failed attempts, I'm ready to try try again.  I know I can physically do C25K (although my endurance and stamina are at an all-time low right now!), but unfortunately I am terrible at self-motivation.  I'm hoping this time I can change my mental approach in order to follow through on the full 9 weeks.  I'm looking forward to keeping accountable through this forum and encouraging myself and everyone else to keep going!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• aradesh Expert 38 posts since
    May 22, 2011
    16. May 25, 2011 10:11 AM (in response to jliller3)

I started on monday 23rd too. Going for the monday-wednesday-friday thing. My first run on monday felt so easy, I was feeling like I could skip to week 2. But I was right to be cautious of my cockiness - I found W1D2 much harder. My legs ached all the way through, and I had to run the last few jogs more slowly than the first few. I had stitch through some of it too, maybe this was because I ate a banana before i left? I probably chose a bad time to run, about 5:30pm - there was one occasion where I had to stop running to find a gap in the traffic to cross a road I made up for it by running a little longer but it was very annoying. I'm now looking forward to getting D3 out the way and having two days off. After W1D1 I thought "wth? that was too easy. whats with this stupid huge 2 day break we have to take?" xD

• Irish Mustang Expert 47 posts since
    May 24, 2011

I spent the day walking to meetings in wrong bulidings in downtown NYC.

Then for fun decided to take in the subway stairs in a couple of stations.

When I got home got on treadmill for half a hour at brisk walk speed.

Tomorrow is week 1 day 2 workout.

Tomorrow and/or Friday should be interesting.........

• Nursey318 Amateur 17 posts since
    Apr 28, 2011
    18. May 27, 2011 12:04 AM (in response to CeLisa323)

Yay!! Week 1 is in the bag!! There were a couple of times that I wanted to cheat a little- thank goodness I had a running partner! Taking a aouple days off for vacation, then back at it again. I was kind of surprised by how much more difficult days 2 & 3 seemed after day 1 was fairly easy. But, I guess that's part of building endurance... Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them- every day a task anew."

-St. Francis DeSales

• matlockrl Rookie 7 posts since
    May 20, 2011

I just started this week as well.  I ran three 5k's back in Nov 08, Dec 08 and Jan 09.  Then had knee and back issues so instead of cutting back i just stopped. Wish I had not.  Anyway on to bigger and better things.  This time I'm determined to stick with it.

Today was W1D3.  Looking forward to the break rthis weekend, AND looking forward to Monday Week 2...bring it on.  :-)

5k Goal: 30:00 (July 23, 2011)

5k PR: 34:27 (Jan 31, 2009, Super Run 5K San Diego Calif.)

Starting Weight: 215 (03-15-11)

Current Weight: 203 (05-31-11)

Goal Weight: 190

2011 UPCOMING RACES:

July 23     Red Cross Red Hot Run

Sept 10    Big Brother/Sister Run

Oct 22     Spinners Great Pumpkin Run

Nov 19     Turkey Burner

Dec 3      Jingle Bell Run

May 24, 2011
    I was right Thursday was painful. I took the day off to rest. went to cheer friends on in local 5k. did w1d2 today no problems....
  • aradesh Expert 38 posts since
    May 22, 2011

W1 completed yesterday. W2 seems easy - just another 30s on top of the runs I'm used to already with even bigger rests! Plus it only works out as 1 more minute of running than before (8 mins to 9 mins). Week 3 seems a bit daunting with the 3-minute runs, but even that is still only 9 minutes of running per day!

if it wasn't for the guide, i'd be going out trying to run for as long as i can, like 5-10 minutes or so from day 1, feeling exhausted, and giving up. i'd imagine this is how 90% of people would do it also. i wonder how all those peolpe i see jogging about all the time managed to get to their level considering they once would have had to start at some point too

• Anthony54 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 28, 2011

Could someone explain this C25K thing - sounds stupid of me to ask but what is it?? email: dragonfirez@bellsouth.net

Thanks, Tony

May 24, 2011

it is a series of progressivly timed runs and walks which will hopefully have you running 3.1 miles(5 kilometers) in 9 weeks

there are  9 weekly levels whichare done 3 days a week with a rest day in between each weekly run.

people keep track of their weeks and days in the program you might see someone type week 1 day 1 (W1D1) or Week 3 day 1 (W3D1)

this program is designed for those individuals who are new to running.

The beginning ofweek 1 you are off the couch by the end of week 9 day 3 you are running 3.1 miles in about 1/2 hour (depends on your committment to the program)

There are podcasts on the net whichpeople have provided music playlists with the timed runs

search couch to 5k in any search engine for more details

• matlockrl Rookie 7 posts since
    May 20, 2011
    24. May 31, 2011 10:19 AM (in response to CeLisa323)

Wk 2 D1 = Happy Memorial Day.  A ran much later in the day than I usually do.  I didn't run until 5:00pm, 93 degrees in Prattville.  WOW, much hotter than at 6 in the morning.  I felt looser, but harder to breath.  Go figure.  But I DID DO IT, and didn't skip.  After that it was fire up the grill and drag some chicken on the grill along with corn on the cob.

Wednesday - Wk 1 Day 2.  Bring it on, I'm ready!  

5k Goal: 30:00 (July 23, 2011)

5k PR: 34:27 (Jan 31, 2009, Super Run 5K San Diego Calif.)

Starting Weight: 215 (03-15-11)

Current Weight: 203 (05-31-11)

Goal Weight: 190

2011 UPCOMING RACES:

July 23     Red Cross Red Hot Run

Sept 10    Big Brother/Sister Run

Oct 22     Spinners Great Pumpkin Run

Nov 19     Turkey Burner

Dec 3      Jingle Bell Run

May 24, 2011

Hello Gang,

How is everyone today? I would like to hear about your victorys

Completed week 2 day 1 today. I can still feel the burn in my legs.

The third run of each day really tests my running will power.

The fourth run is easier maybe because I know that the workout is finished and a nice walk is next.

I'll check back later. Thanks for listening

Apr 28, 2011

So, I'm preparing for week 2, workout 3 tomorrow morning. I am exhausted this week! has anyone else felt this way also?? I think it's just because my body is not used to so much activity, but I'm not sure. Let me know what you guys think.

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them- every day a task anew."

-St. Francis DeSales

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011

Hey everyone,  I am enjoying reading your posts.   I just finished Week 7 yesterday, and it is nice to look back at people in the earlier weeks.  I just wanted to let you know that it does get better.  I don't want to say easier, just better.  I know everyone frets over the runs with no intervals, but they are MUCH better than intervals.  You will be shocked when you get there.  Keep up the good work, and we will all be posting our "graduation" soon!

aradesn - I think the 2 day break on the weekend is very helpful.  Your body builds and recovers on your off days and this is important for strengthening your joints and muscles.  I have taken every weekend off and am glad I did.

Nursey318 - I thought day 1 of a week was always better than the others.  I think it is the two days off between.  As far as having weeks or days where you are just exhausted...I think we all have these.  I am always extra proud of myself when I finish a day or week where I just felt I didn't have it in me.  I use these boards a lot for motivation.  It seems like if I don't want to run, I just pop on here, do some reading, then I'm off.....

Happy running!

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

Apr 28, 2011

Week 3 is half over! How is everyone doing??? I was really dreading the 3 minute intervals last week, but surprisingly they seemed easier than the 90 second bursts! Good thing! Getting fitted for new running shoes tomorrow- Yay!! Hoping this makes a difference in how sore my calves and arches get after a run. Doing a 2 mile walk this weekend to ease my way into the race thing. Officially signed up for a 5K in August. I may be a little crazy for doing my first one in the Kansas August heat, but I figured that I'm already training in it anyway so it won't be that much different! Hope everyone is having a great week!

-St. Francis DeSales

Apr 28, 2011
    29. Jun 29, 2011 11:29 PM (in response to Nursey318)

Hey all! Just wondering if anyone else is still working the C25K program???? I haven't seen anybody on this thread for awhile. I repeated week 4 so am in week 5 right now- and NOT looking forward to day 3, I must say. Hopefully, it's easier than I think, like everyone else says. I hope everyone is doing well in their personal endeavors! Look forward to hearing from you all!

-St. Francis DeSales

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...