1430 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2011 9:26 PM by devdem_ RSS
Bengalvfan Amateur 24 posts since
May 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2011 11:58 AM

Who ends this game?

- This is a Minor league game

- 5 runs per inning max except in the last inning

- 2 hour time limit (new inning cannot start after 2 hours)

First Scenario:

Home team is winning 12 to 6,  while visting team is up in the top of the 5th inning time expires after the first batter is put out. Since visitng team has no chance of winning should the game just end? If the visiting team still wants to play and the home team wants to quit to save there pitcher can they do so and still win the game?

Opposite scenario:

Visiting team is winning 10 to 6, while visiting team is up in the top of the 5th they score 2 runs to make it 12 to 6 time expires at that point and ahead by 6 runs. Can the umpire stop the game at that time since the home team now has no chance of winning? can the visiting coach end the game and still be considered the winner even though the home team wants to keep playing?

My take on all of this:

First, I think these scenarios should be addressed in the local league rules so that it is the same across the board. Secondly I think the teams should just finish out the inning no matter who is winning to let the kids play.

This is what actually happened last night:

Visiting team ahead by 6 runs, top of 5 starting with only 5 mins before the 2 hour time limit was reached. Visting team batted and their first three batters were put out. At this point time had expired by about 10 minutes. bottom of the 5th came along with the home team due up behind by 6 runs. Visiting team says they dont want to use there pitchers up in a game where there is no chance for the other team to win. Home team wants to play get the kids some playing time on offense.  There are no local rules saying what to do at this point and I decided the kids should get to play offense even though they can only score a max of 5 runs. So what does the visiting team do??? He puts in a player to pitch that has never ever pitched before in his life and ended up walking most batters (there was one hit i think).. I guess the manager got me on that one.... So now I am in talks with the local league to try and get something in writing about this stuff so it can be the uniform throughout the league.

Dan

• laguna_brewers Pro 79 posts since
    Feb 24, 2008
    1. May 23, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to Bengalvfan)
    Re: Who ends this game?

Aren't both scenarios covered by:

- 5 runs per inning max except in the last inning

In each, you describe "the last inning"?  Play it out.

• Jon - M Pro 145 posts since
    Jun 12, 2009
    2. May 23, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to laguna_brewers)

Most leagues say the 6th is the last or/ unless stated at the beginning of any other inning. So you would have to declare the 5th the last inning when it began to qualify for the run exception.

Just a thought

Feb 24, 2008
    4. May 23, 2011 12:24 PM (in response to Bengalvfan)

"last inning" is intended to mean the 6th inning in a 6 inning game  because it is not known that there is a 2 hour time limit (local league  rule) when the rule book states "last inning".

Exactly.  The local Rule of setting up the "hard" time limit makes whatever innning happens to fall at 2 hours "the last inning".  Therefore, I would argue to play it out.

Feb 24, 2008
    6. May 23, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to Bengalvfan)

Visiting team scores 5 runs with no outs (now up by 9) and has to go to  defense because at this point there is still 5 minutes left within the 2  hr time limit.

Using your example, suppose the Visiting Team scored only 4 runs and time ran out, are you going to negate the bottom of the inning and award the Visiting Team the victory, in spite of the fact that the Home Team didn't get a chance to bat in what was obviously the last inning?

I say, Can the Local time limits, and run the games with a strict eye on Rule 4.11.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. May 23, 2011 3:56 PM (in response to Bengalvfan)

OK, some may not like this but, where in the LL Rulebook does it say a game is over because a team can't mathematically win the game?

It's minors, play it out.

It IS a good opportunity to give a lesser used pitcher the opportunity to get some game experience.

That said, I'm not a big fan of pitching someone who has no idea how to pitch but there is nothing in the rules against it.

• Phillieball Pro 99 posts since
    Mar 23, 2001
    8. May 23, 2011 10:51 PM (in response to Lou_B)

Lou,

Our local rules state that the UIC for the game can declare any inning the last inning (the 5-run rule goes off) if in his or her judgement that inning is likely to be the last inning due to the approaching local time limit.  If the inning so declared finishes in time for a new inning to start, the game would continue until the limit kicks in.

My question for you after rereading the rule:  The rule says that the local league can take the 5-run limit off in the last inning, but I see that it doesn't mention the every-player-batted limit.  By strict construction, it would appear that local rules can't take that limit off.  Is that the case?

It would make sense that local rules would be allowed to take both limits off, but that's not exactly how it's written.

Another question: Is it the case that each team could have a different run limit when each has a different number of players present?  (If you only have nine, you could hit everyone and only score four runs.  A team with 10 could score five.)

Thanks!

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. May 24, 2011 5:03 AM (in response to Phillieball)

In our District the leagues treat their 9-10s as competitive.

All of them play Inter-League so we apply for a District Waiver that allows "unlimited runs and elimination of the bat through the order restriction" for every inning after the 4th (starting in the 5th inning).

We've gotten it approved every year since the 5 run limit went into effect.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. May 24, 2011 9:15 AM (in response to Bengalvfan)

First, WP has given us zero guidance on how determine what the last inning is. So it's up to each local.

We made it simple. Instead of "No new inning after two hours", we went to "One more inning after 1:30". That way you've got the last inning built in. Plus, it ends moronic managers from stalling, and messing with the clock to end a game early.

Just remember, you're still limited to batting just the bench. So the run limit is the number of players currently in the game.

• devdem_ Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 4, 2008
    11. May 26, 2011 9:26 PM (in response to Kyle_)

My league specifies the last inning is the 6th inning only in a six-inning game.

We are Pony though and it is a local rule.

I would let the visiting team (or home team if losing) finish their at-bats.

However if the home team is winning, the game ends when the visiting team is done batting.

I am against allowing extra runs in the last inning.  Every inning should be treated the same.

It doesn't seem fair a team can leave the base loaded in the bottom of the 5th with no outs

then lose because the visiting team gets 10 in the sixth.

Pat

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...