Skip navigation

2685 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2005 12:17 PM by sladekos RSS
aqua baby Rookie 7 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 31, 2005 11:46 AM

MAJOR INJURY (SETBACK)

hi guys, i have had a shoulder injury for 8 weeks now and have been kicking and going to gym regulary and am getting worried, i have seen chiropractors, physios, biokenetikists(sorry cant spell) and you name it... what other options are there i feel held back and fear of a major set back

• sladekos Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 31, 2005 1:00 PM (in response to aqua baby)
    Re: MAJOR INJURY (SETBACK)

start jogging.

Seriously... other than seeing the witch doctors, what else can you do but keep the body in shape until the shoulder is fixed?

I would love to hear a better idea... the kids I coach do several sports and always have shoulder issues.

• swim_chickie Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 5, 2005 8:34 PM (in response to aqua baby)

how are you kicking because certain ways can hurt your shoulder even more

• Bonnie Spivey Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Sep 6, 2005 10:20 PM (in response to aqua baby)

from a swim coach former pro triathlere who has had shoulder injuries

Most shoulder injuries come from poor swim technique and overtraining with the arm motion going the wrong way.  Technique training starts with the body not the arm motion. 

Suggestion: take a few technique lessons (that begin with your center) and ice ice ice and ice heat ice

like a pro athlete not just when it hurts.

maby stretching ... that depends on the injury though.  How to keep training?  Deep water running ( like kicking)  Kicking with a kick board can be a big problem with shoulder injuries. 

get well good luck  bonnie from swimkids.net

• Joyjoy4all Expert 46 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 21, 2005 11:27 AM (in response to aqua baby)

I agree - listen to Bonnie!

First rehab (icing, strengthening, etc. - Look for another physical therapist in your area by calling your orthopedic doc and getting a referral) - then it is all about getting that swimming technique down.

All athletes have to go back to the basics at some point in there training.  Also look into periodizing your workouts to prevent future injuries.

Joy

www.joyspersonaltraining.com

• sladekos Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Sep 21, 2005 12:17 PM (in response to aqua baby)

I took your message to be a shoulder injury not related to swimming... if you are having shoulder problems on a pretty regular basis, think about this:

When I was in the Coast Guard, I had a Navy doctor tell me my backstroke was screwing up my shoulder... and that if I kept swimming, my shoulder would be permanently screwed up (and all that).

You know what I did? I realized I was sleeping on my shoulder... and started sleeping on my back - no more shoulder problems.

Sometimes you have to look at things a little different.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...