Skip navigation

1176 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2011 8:54 PM by Mark_in_SD RSS
STL__Ump Pro 133 posts since
May 2, 2001
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2011 10:14 AM

Obstruction?

O.K. so we know that on a situation where a ball happens to be out in front of the plate (a bunt or whatever) and the runner and catcher get tangled it's nothing....

7.09(j)

But how about the situation where you have a bad throw that gets by F3 and in the aftermath F3 and BR get tangled up as F3 is now trying to go get the ball and BR is now trying to go to 2nd.  Any OBS there?

Thanks

• BHanlon Pro 82 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. May 25, 2011 10:41 AM (in response to STL__Ump)
    Re: Obstruction?

They are different scenareos as one deals with a batted ball and the other example a thrown ball but results are the same.

To answer your question if the runner gets tangled with a fielder attempting to field an errant throw it is a tangle up, train wreck no obstruction or interference in OBR.

Little League RIM:

"Train wrecks are still going to happen and are not to be considered as obstruction. Example: Throw from the shortstop to the 1

st baseman in an attempt to get a batter-runner out pulls the 1st baseman down the line toward home plate and the 1st baseman and the batter-runner collide. This is a train wreck because the defensive player is doing what he/she should be doing (fielding the ball) and the batter-runner is doing what he/she should be doing (running the bases).

~

• JeremyN74 Amateur 38 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    2. May 25, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to STL__Ump)

If the ball gets past F3 and then he and the BR get tangled up I would have obs. Since F3 has already had a chance to make a play he must avoid the runner asa he goes and chases the ball down.

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    4. May 25, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to STL__Ump)

I've got Type B obstruction here. And I don't think that BHanlon's answer is in any conflict with Jeremy IMO. During the trainwreck that BHanlon describes, you have nothing. However the ball is now gone in your OP and the fielder must give way when he adjusts to go and retrieve the ball. Unless i am reading your OP incorrectly.

Time wounds all heels.....

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    6. May 25, 2011 6:45 PM (in response to STL__Ump)

STL_UMP Your words highlighted by me:

"But how about the situation where you have a bad throw that gets by F3 and in the aftermath F3 and BR get tangled up as F3 is now trying to go get the ball and BR is now trying to go to 2nd.  Any OBS there?"

This is isn't the "trainwreck". this is the aftermath, this is Type B IMO.

Rule 2.00 Obstruction, is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

or 7.06 (b) Note 2: If the defensive player blocks the baseline clearly without possession of the ball, obstruction shall be called.

To reiterate, this is IMO not the trainwreck caused by an off target throw, this is (in your words) the "aftermath". The fielder is therefore no longer protected. Maybe HTBT, but that's what I have.

Time wounds all heels.....

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. May 26, 2011 11:14 AM (in response to STL__Ump)

Obstruction.

Michael S. Taylor

• Mark_in_SD Legend 207 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. May 26, 2011 8:54 PM (in response to STL__Ump)

If the fielder is trying to field an errant throw and that takes him into the path of the runner, train wreck.  If the ball gets by the fielder and there is a tangle as he turns to chase the loose ball, type B obstruction 100% of the time.  Once the ball gets past the fielder, he has got to avoid the runner.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...