Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2516 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2011 10:48 AM by beowulf37 1 2 Previous Next
BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
Nov 26, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2011 1:07 PM

Batted ball hits the BR

Got a call from a LL Majors coach after his game last night. The sitch:

Left-handed batter lunges at and hits the pitch down, but in fair territory. It hits the ground and bounces back up, hits the BR as he is still in the box while his lunge is taking him towards 1B. He takes off for 1b and is thrown out by F2. PU states the the bounced ball was fair and hit the batter while he was still in the box, but hit him in the part of the box that is in fair territory, so he let it play out.

7.08 (f) (I think, i don't have my book) would have "dead ball, BR out". But is there any protection for the BR since he is still in the box when hit by the ball? Please cite any references if so.

BB

Time wounds all heels.....

• JeremyN74 Amateur 38 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    1. May 25, 2011 2:17 PM (in response to BlueBeak)
    Re: Batted ball hits the BR

OBR 6.05(g): A batter is out when his fair ball touches him before touching a fielder. If the batter is in a legal position in the batters box, see rule 6.03, and, in the umpire's judgement, there was no intention to intefere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball.

6.03 states that the batters legal position shall be with both feet in the batters box. 

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. May 25, 2011 3:37 PM (in response to BlueBeak)

How do you write zero in Roman numerals? I'm just askin.....

You can't. Major problem for the Romans. That's why we all use Arabic (really Indian).

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. May 26, 2011 6:52 AM (in response to BlueBeak)

Beaker:

Even though a small corner of the batter's box subtends a teeny bit of fair territory, for purposes of a rebounding batted ball, the batter's body is assumed to be in FOUL territory.

This should have been called a FOUL.

And IF the umpire felt that the ball hit him in fair territory--and for that reason the play should have continued--he blew another call!  Any batter or runner hit by a fair batted ball in FAIR TERRITORY is out on definitional interference.  BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE!  It's a foul ball!

1.  You got a wrong call.

2.  You got a Calvin Ball rule interpretation (i.e., this was 100% PIROOMA analysis.)

Mike CVUA

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. May 26, 2011 7:18 AM (in response to JeremyN74)

6.03 only applies to the batter being legal while starting his AB.  On a batted ball, as long as one of his feet still remain in the box, he is still protected by balls hit and bounce up and touch him.    TM

• LarryS Expert 57 posts since
    May 13, 2000
    6. May 26, 2011 9:06 AM (in response to BlueBeak)

My convention, if a ball that is batted while the batter is in the box, and comes up and IMMEDIATELY hits the now BR, either while legally in the box (FOR SURE) or I'm adding in the immediate vicinity of the box before the batter starts running, then it is a foul ball and a strike on the batter.

To call the out because the batter, with no intent, is hit by a fair batted ball a few millimeters in fair territory is not a good call.

larry

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. May 26, 2011 11:10 AM (in response to BlueBeak)

You're right.  Why quibble over millimeters?  For instance, if a fielder misses catching a ball by a couple milimeters, I just give him the catch.  And if a batter hits a ball over the fence but it's a few millimeters foul, I just give hime the HR.  A few millimeters here, a few millimeters there, what's the big deal?

Millimeters - I've got no use for them...

May 30, 2007
    9. May 26, 2011 12:30 PM (in response to BlueBeak)

Blue use the logic of the batter who makes contact with a pitched ball and has one foot touching the plate but the other still legally in the batters box?   In order to call him OUT both feet must be out of the batters box.  The same logic has to apply here. Don't you agree?   TM

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. May 26, 2011 1:03 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

In order to call him OUT both feet must be out of the batters box.

That is incorrect. If you hit a pitched ball with one foot on the ground completely out of the box you are out.  The plate has nothing to do with it in OBR.

6.06  A batter is out for illegal action when—

(a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter’s box.

Being hit by a batted ball in the box is governed by

6.05 A batter is out when-

(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder. If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s box, see Rule 6.03, and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no

intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball;

Legal position is in 6.03

The batter’s legal position shall be with both feet within the batter’s box.

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. May 26, 2011 2:07 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

What on God's green earth are you blathering about?  Are you telling me that if the batter steps completely on the plate with one foot, but the other foot is still in the box, that the batter is NOT out?  I'm using the same logic.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    12. May 26, 2011 3:09 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

TheMouth__1 wrote:

Blue use the logic of the batter who makes contact with a pitched ball and has one foot touching the plate but the other still legally in the batters box?  In order to call him OUT both feet must be out of the batters box.  The same logic has to apply here. Don't you agree?  TM

As has been pointed out, in OBR, all it takes is ONE foot to be on the ground, completely out of the batters box when the bat makes contact with the pitch to have an illegally batted ball (out).

It also should be pointed out that there is nothing illegal for a foot (or even two feet!) to be in contact with the plate  - as long as the foot (or feet) is (are) not entirely out of the batter's box.

oops

• JeremyN74 Amateur 38 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    13. May 26, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)

And for those who ump HS ball. Rule 7-3-2 states a batter is out when he hits a ball fair or foul while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batters box OR TOUCHING THE PLATE. so the batter can still have his foot in the box or on the line but if he touches the plate he is out when he contacts the ball. in OBR that would be a legal play.

May 30, 2007
    14. May 26, 2011 5:26 PM (in response to beowulf37)

OK beowolf apparently I pooched that one....sorry.  You could try civility once in a while.  TM

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...