Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2184 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2011 6:18 PM by R-hizzle RSS
R-hizzle Amateur 22 posts since
Jan 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2011 4:36 PM

Serious knee pain after the race

Well Sunday was race day. I put in the training, although i think i could have trained more. The night before the race i couldn't sleep and race day was hot and humid. I stuck to the plan of starting slow and finishing strong. Five minutes into the race my breathing became  labored. Immediately i could tell this was not going to go well. Just before the 1 mile marker the pain returned to the inside of my right knee and i had to walk and run to the finish. Time was 38:20. After the race the pain in my knee was so bad that i had a noticable limp. By the time i got home the pain was unbareble. I started the ice, while elevated and I.B. The pain feels like its deep in the tissue, left of the top part of the knee. More like tendonitis than a tear. I also noticed some swelling in the right ankle and tightness in the calf. Today, 2 days after the race, i am able to walk with less pain. Walking, although uncomfortable, seems to keep it lose, that lying down. I also put an arch support in my right shoe, I wonder, since i have low arches, if this has anything to do with my knee injuries.  I forgot to mention that my knee was feeling much better a week before the race, BUT four days from race day i decided to run some intervals on the treadmill, really kicking it up some. Afterward the knee pain returned. I rested the rest of the week, then the pain returned on race day. I never had knee problems before until i started running intervals, now i'm cursed. Any ideas on recovery, i need to get back to running, some day. I have discontinued running for now. I've read about using my spin bike to recover from runners knee, have anyone heard of this?

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    1. May 26, 2011 8:53 AM (in response to R-hizzle)
    Re: Serious knee pain after the race

Pain of this caliber typically demands a doctors visit to a sports physician.  Im not clear on why you put an arch support into only one shoe?  Were you experiencing pain before this?  That arch support likely threw everything out of alignment and could very well have caused all of this.  How long have you been training?  Do you have a good pair of running shoes?  There are quite a few reasons this may have happened.

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    3. May 26, 2011 1:34 PM (in response to R-hizzle)
    Re: Serious knee pain after the race

I cycle 3 times a week but not because of a knee issue.  I have been fortunate enough to escape knee issues.  The intervals WILL stress your body in a whole new way.  Before doing any kind of true interval work such as on a track, I always have my runners build up to that by doing moderate hill intervals.  They are done on a grassy hill approximately 100 meters long.  You wont be running too fast and will strengthen everything, muscles, tendons, bones.  I have had great success with this formula.  Perhaps after you are pain free and start easing back into it and as long as you remain pain free you could try it.  Also pay attention to the wear patterns on the bottoms of your shoes, this can really clarify an imbalance.  Please keep me posted on your progress and good luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• SimKai Amateur 31 posts since
    Jun 17, 2011

R-hizzle, I'm sorry to hear about your injury and am glad that your surgery went well and that you are well on your way in your recovery.  I don't have any advice as I am a beginner, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience.  Thank you especially for the reminder to listen to the body.  I appreciate it!

www.turtleneckandhighwaistjeans.blogspot.com

SimKai

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...