Skip navigation

1440 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2005 10:39 PM by Bonnie Spivey RSS
MeL2185 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2005 9:00 AM

Need Serious Help!!!!

I am a runner.. I run 3.7 miles 5 days a week. Over the past few weeks it has gotten too hott to run. I recently joined a gym and have been swimming laps. I swim in the olympic size pool. I have read all about the meters and such about that size pool but it isn't helping me. Can someone please tell me if I swim twenty laps in an Olympic pool how far the distance is.?? And also is one lap there and back or just there.. please help me.. I am totally into staying in shape and want to now how i'm doing.

• blymey Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 20, 2005 9:48 AM (in response to MeL2185)
    Re: Need Serious Help!!!!

An Olympic size pool is 50 meters down and 25 yards across. So it depends on how the pool is divided. If you're swimming  20 laps in a 50 meter pool, you're swimming 1000 meters. If you're swimming 20 laps in a 25 yard pool, you're swimming 500 yards (about 457 meters). One lap is just there, not there and back.

Hope this helps!

• Jeminunzi Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 6, 2005 11:31 AM (in response to MeL2185)

really? i was under the impression that a lap was there and back, and a LENGTH was just there. Uno, like a lap around a gym is all the way around? I'm pretty sure that a lap is there AND back.

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 8, 2005 8:42 AM (in response to MeL2185)

See the previous post entitled, "explain the distance."  Some people say that a lap is two lengths, but the overwhelming majority of serious swimmers will tell you that a lap is one way down the pool.

• T3charlie Community Moderator 79 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Aug 10, 2005 2:52 PM (in response to MeL2185)

Okay JKenny, I thought you were an expert here... (I know you are and I enjoy your posts; I'm just teasing) a LENGTH is one trip down a pool.  A LAP is one cycle or circuit - meaning you return to where you started - and comprises two LENGTHS of a pool.  I've been around pools a whole bunch and have not once heard a length referred to as a lap.  Now... because of this debate, I am going to create an advocacy group for the promotion of my preceeding declaration.  I shall call it S.T.U.P.I.D which stands for "Swimming (well) Takes Unbelievable Practice InDeed".  Look for my spam coming to a website near you!

xraytriguy

• ferfer85 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Aug 10, 2005 5:14 PM (in response to MeL2185)

I swam age-group from ages 8-19, and we definitely did call a length a lap.  Maybe it was a kiddie thing?  Wait, our coaches did too, probably just ignorance.  Didn't learn the difference until high school swimming class.  Just call them, "theres" and "theres and backs"

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Aug 11, 2005 8:45 AM (in response to MeL2185)

ferfer85,

It's funny that you say your age group team called it a lap and your high school swimming class called it a length.  I would say that generally, age groupers outrank the gym classes in terms of knowledge, experience, AND skill.

xraytriguy,

If you go to any major team where the swimmers are serious, they will tell you that a lap is just one way down the pool.  By "serious," I mean: (1) a legitimate US Swim club who sends multiple athletes to nationals, (2) a division 1 college swim team, or (3) a US National Team.  The trend I have noticed is that more experienced and/or skilled swimmers tend to use the phrase "lap" rather than length.

At any rate, you should try to avoid confusion with the group where you train.  Either get on the same page, or refer to the distances rather than the number of laps.  It's easier to just say 10X100s, than to specify the number of laps.

• Bonnie Spivey Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Sep 6, 2005 10:39 PM (in response to MeL2185)

eeek these answers are driving me crazy.  so you are probably crazy too

i was a full scholarship swimmer etc etc

a length and a lap is  a trip from on end of the pool to the other.

any real swimmer will tell you that.

we are not horses and they cover the track only once to make a lap anyway

back to the topic

25 yards is the length of most highschool pools and many gym pools Go ask management.  They sell memberships by saying they have an olympic pool and they don't know what they are talking aabout It makes us real swimmers crazy and you guys confused.

so

4 lengths is 100 yards

a 1650 is the distance of a competitive mile ( i know because i swam it in college)  its a little off or we would be stopping in the middle of the pool and that wouldn't work in a race huh

so a mile is 66 lengths

remember lengths equals laps so don't multiply anything and have a great workout

from bonnie at swimkids.net

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...