Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1271 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2011 1:26 PM by jcruz5937 RSS
bdc85 Rookie 1 posts since
May 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 27, 2011 5:56 AM

follow the schedule?

hey all....i've always hated running...probably because I've always been overweight so I felt stupid doing it....but anyway...i started C25K yesterday.....it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be...the time actually flew by......

my question is....I was talking with someone at work who had done the C25K thing before and they said they didn't just do it the 3 days a week but ran everyday (just stacking the recommended training on back to back days)....is that helpful at all or is it just better to stick to the 3 days a week program set out in the C25K from Cool Running?

I used to lift and cycle all the time in college but running is new for me and I'd really like it to stick......i have a little girl on the way (mine and my wife's first baby!) and I want to do all I can to make sure I'm a fit dad who can run and play with his little girl for a long time!

• Kristin91 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    1. May 27, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to bdc85)
    Re: follow the schedule?

No one should run everyday because it can cause more injuries than it's worth... everyone should have a rest day at least a couple days a week... Personally I run every other day

!

"I run because it's so symbolic of life. You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles. You might feel that you can't. But then you find your inner strength, and realize you're capable of so much more than you thought."

--Arthur Blank

--- --- ---

7/3/2011- Firecracker 5k Fun Run- 33:02

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    2. May 27, 2011 9:47 AM (in response to bdc85)

There are those individuals out there who are capable of doing such things without any issues.  What you want to keep in mind as a beginning runner is that you want to ease into this to ensure you do not get injured.  If you ease into a sustainable training program you will enjoy it and hopefully continue to do it for the rest of your life.  If you do too much and get injured it will lead to discouragement.  So start slow, be patient, but most of all have fun and enjoy slow and steady growth!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. May 27, 2011 9:52 AM (in response to Kristin91)

I would recommend following the schedule for a while.  You can cross train on your other days if you want (bike, swim, wt train, core, ect).  Lots and lots of new runners get overuse injuries early (shin splints, ITBS, ect)  so slow down and make it a life time goal.  I have been running several years now and I run 5-6 days a week and cross train on many of these days (always take 1 day off from everything).  You need to build slowly or bad things are going to happen.  Enjoy

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. May 27, 2011 7:34 PM (in response to bdc85)

Start out running 3 days and cross train the other days when you are not running to avoid injuries. good luck

• jcruz5937 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 21, 2011
    5. May 28, 2011 1:26 PM (in response to bdc85)

follow the c25k plan is the best advice. it will slowly get your body acclimated to the rigors of running and will lessen your injuries.

i started last week and even though i was sore for about 3 of the days the soreness has left and i want to keep it that way. now all thats left is to get myself acclimated to this 90+ degree texas weather thats coming and stayin until about september lol

good luck!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points