Skip navigation

2727 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2005 10:31 PM by Bonnie Spivey RSS
Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2005 3:09 PM

Kicking problems

I took my first swim class after swimming for 10 years.

She said my breast stroke was great but my crawl and my back stroke needed work especially my kicking. So she had my grab a board and told me to keep my toe pointed and to kick using my hips. So I did and I don't appear to move.  she said she has never seen that before.  Any suggestions. I am keeping my feet close together and pointing my feet but no movement.

• swim_chickie Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 17, 2005 2:42 PM (in response to Grizdog)
    Re: Kicking problems

well kicking has a lot do with the legs yes, put like in the butterfly kick a lot of strength comes from your core. same with flutter kick but not quite so much. you rotate your hips keep your toes pointed and also you have to move your ankles. try watching a stroke tech. video it could possible show you whats wrong. in your swim class though don't just do kick because it can end up hurting your shoulders after a period of time and can be quite boring after a while. trust me i know when ever i'm in the water i have to kick because i can't my ear wet till the middle of july, and i have ben kicking since early may. i hope this helps

• mhwindso Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 18, 2005 8:27 AM (in response to Grizdog)

I have the same problem with a kick board. I think it is because it tends to bring your upper body up out of the water and lets your legs drag. When you're swimming without it, try looking down and that will tend to bring your legs up. Also try just doing drills where you push off the wall, not using your arms and moving forward solely by kicking... hope that helps...

• itzgee Amateur 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 20, 2005 5:11 PM (in response to Grizdog)

I never kick with a kickboard.  I lie on my side with one arm extended and kick.

Try this.  Lie on a carpeted floor.  Lie on your right side.  Extend your right arm out in line with your head.  turn your head down so you are looking at the carpet.  you should be looking past your armpit to the floor.

Imagine you are in the water.  Your left arm is lying on your side and is more or less out of the water.  Your left hip is out of the water.  Most importantly, your feet are in line with your shoulders.  Think about moving through the water as if you were trying to swim through a keyhole.  your head will just be breaking the surface.  Your right hand will be 4 inches or so under the water.  Your right arm is extended parallel to the water, also 4 inches under the water.

feet up, hips up, kick through the keyhole.  Look down, not forward.

Now, in the pool, try to kick in the same position.  Push off from the side of the pool on your side.  Give a strong push that will give you some momentum.  Feel your left arm and hip break the surface.  Don't kick too big.

The big mistake a lot of new swimmers make is that they try to kick big, with a wide angle between their left and right legs.  What you should be doing is trying to swim through a keyhole.  When your feet are in the same plane as your shoulders, you're cutting through water much more efficiently than if your kick is big.

• itzgee Amateur 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 20, 2005 9:17 PM (in response to Grizdog)

This is a follow up to my last post.

Lying on the floor might be uncomfortable.  Instead, try standing against a wall, lying on your side standing up, so to speak.

• aqua baby Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jul 13, 2005 11:32 AM (in response to Grizdog)

dont think to much try to let your instincts take control. try to find more deep water this puts more pressure on the your legs and in no time you will be the fastest kicker in your club. i am a freestyler and my kick used to be really weak until i tried this, now my times have dropped like hell... try it

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jul 17, 2005 4:07 PM (in response to Grizdog)

Have you tried using fins?  This might help you to get a better feel for the water on your legs.

• Jeminunzi Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Aug 6, 2005 11:39 AM (in response to Grizdog)

Yes, in actuality the kick DOES come from the hips, but you DO actually bend your knees ever so slightly. If you're not going anywhere, you should try pointing your toes and everything, but keep ur legs 'loose' don't straighten ur legs completely. You just have to relax, and keep trying.

• aqua baby Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Aug 31, 2005 11:33 AM (in response to Grizdog)

hi there... just catching up, hows your kicking going?

hope you are flying, i have had a recent shoulder injury i have been kicking for 8weeks and still going, and i have learnt the less you use your fins the harder it is and the more work you put on your legs... remember no pain no gain...he he

• Bonnie Spivey Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Sep 6, 2005 10:31 PM (in response to Grizdog)

Ok there is way too much info.  some of it good but I have been coaching and competing for years.  Kicking is way overrated unless you are sprinting.  Not a sprin tri.  500yds is by no means a sprint. 

so here ya go.

workwith fins a little at a time so you don't get cramps. most men put fins on and cramp up

work out of the water to get more ankle flexibility.  pressure not a contraccted toe point.

and get some swim technique lessons

use a pull buoy a lot until you gain flexibility in your ankles

your ankles are like weights and pulling you back. 

chop off your ankles and you will probably win your next swim leg (if you are a triathlete)

if you turn your toes inward a bit you will get a better point but your feet should propel like a propeller when you kick so they should not be in a hard contracted point.

good luck

bonnie from swimkids.net

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...