NEED HELP?|

1505 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2005 6:43 AM by beckybarley
beckybarley Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 1, 2005 6:25 AM

swimming v running

Can anyone help!!?!?

I usually run for half and hour. I now want to do more swimming.

How long or how may lengths of a (25m) pool would I have to do to gain the same benefit of running at an average pace?

Does anyone know!?

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 1, 2005 9:19 AM (in response to beckybarley)
    Re: swimming v running

Here's an educated guess:

The Navy physical readiness requirements for running is a 1.5 mile run. For swimming it is either a 500-yd or 450-m swim. I guess that means the Navy roughly equates the two interms of physical readiness.

SO I am going to assume you run 5-6 miles an hour ( a nice average/slow pace). That means in a half hour, you run 2.5-3 miles. That means roughly a 675-900 meter (13.5-18 laps) swim.

The logic seems to work, and 13-18 laps of swimming will give you a pretty good to pretty hard workout, if you are a non-avid swimmer like myself.

Anybody else?

• sladekos Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 1, 2005 10:00 AM (in response to beckybarley)

deadocmike,

I pretty much agree with you (having taken the PRT myself), especially for a newer swimmer. Just remember that humans are built for the land... as you get a better feel for the water, you should be able to do much more swimming than the amount you wrote.

Also, I think this has been beaten to death on this board, but, in the swimming world, I have never heard anyone consider a lap to be more than one length of the pool. In fact, I think I may go back to that other post and mention it.

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Sep 1, 2005 12:09 PM (in response to beckybarley)

Well said, sladekos.

I think that the previous post was a good starting number at about 900 yards in a half hour.  As you become more efficient in the water, you should be able to increase that number to 1000-2000 yards and up, depending on how serious you want to get.  The important thing to note is that swimming is low impact.  The body takes a beating in a half hour of running.  As you get in better shape, you may be able to easily swim 1-2 hours without the discomfort associated with pavement impact during running.

• WaterDog66 Amateur 39 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 1, 2005 3:57 PM (in response to beckybarley)

There was an article a while back from Slowtwitch that broke down workouts into points:

1 Point for 1/4 Mile Run

1 Point for 100 Meter Swim

1 Point for 1 Mile Bike

No points for any other workouts like Yoga, Weights etc.

It sounded good to me at the time because it was based on the Distance comparisons.

I can swim at a rate of about 1 meter per second for 1.5 KM and so it takes me 100 seconds to score a point in the pool. (Or 15 Points in 25 Minutes)

I can run 1/4 mile in 2 minutes paced for an 8 mile run or 32 points in an hour.

I can ride 40 KM on my bike (Just under 25 miles) in 75 minutes for a total of 25 points.

These all feel about the same at the end assuming roughly the same level of effort, but that may be because I have been using this method for a while.

The article is still available in the archives someplace.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...