Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1435 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 8:02 AM by Golden Tips
Golden Tips Expert 39 posts since
May 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 31, 2011 6:57 AM

Starting at W3D1 - Is this a good idea?

Hi everyone,

I am a complete beginner when it comes to running. I started jogging a few weeks ago and then a couple days ago when surfing the net for some newbie help I discovered the C25K program. I printed it out and started this morning. I skipped the first two weeks and started at week 3. I was able to complete the W3D1 workout and felt I could even do a bit more. My question is should I do this or should I start from W1D1 to really benefit from the program?

February 17, 2012 Abu Dhabi Terry Fox Run (8.5K) (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - 48.24

September 3, 2011: 5K Race Against the Reds (Fredericton,Canada) – 33.51

August 1, 2011: NB Day 5K (Chipman, Canada) – 36.58

Bloghttp://ruralrouterunner.wordpress.com/

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    1. May 31, 2011 3:05 AM (in response to Golden Tips)
    Re: Starting at W3D1 - Is this a good idea?

The good thing about these programs is that you can alter them to fit your level.   In theory, there is nothing wrong with starting out where you feel you can do it.  Having said that, the purpose of the program is a slow taper to get your body used to running, a little bit more cardiovascularly ready, etc. to do the long runs at the finish.  If you skip the first 2 weeks, you have skipped 2 weeks of the cardiovascular and body exercise/training so you may suffer from that later.  So, just keep that in mind if you struggle later.   Runners notoriously get over excited and then HURT themselves and end up having to sit time out so, despite the eagerness, I might encourage you to take your time, go slowly and listen to your body - which might include starting at the beginning and doing things right.  Just my 2 cents' worth, though . The important thing is that you are starting!   Way to go! 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• Tammy47701 Amateur 17 posts since
    Aug 18, 2010
    3. May 31, 2011 10:49 PM (in response to Golden Tips)
    Re: Starting at W3D1 - Is this a good idea?

I am in a similar situation. I actually did a running class last fall and then did a 5K on Thanksgiving Day. Because of our severe, early Montana winter weather, some of our classes were post-poned and the race was in pretty severe weather on snow pack. I was unable to run the continuous 3.26 (it was called a "Montana 5K" - a little longer!), but finished under my drop dead time I had given myself, even doing a few walk intervals. Anyway, I had such bad shin splint on left leg I didn't run again until recently.  I started the C25K awhile ago and got through week 3, then between weather and schedule, got side-tracked a couple weeks (although did a few hikes), and just started back last week. I also started on W3D1, and wondered your exact question. I have completed all of week 3, and tomorrow is my W4D1 run. I figured if I get through week 4 without too much struggle maybe I'm ok. If I can't get through them fully, or feel too much struggle, perhaps I'll just repeat week 4 before continuing. I felt the same way, perhaps I'm cheating myself out of some conditioning to build up that will be important later - especially when I look ahead to W5D3! lol  hope it goes well for both of us!  Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...