Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1799 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2011 2:52 PM by Aaron96
Aaron96 Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2011 4:57 PM

Best Marathon Training

does anyone have any good advise for marathon training? First full marathon in October and not sure if I should be training for time or just completing!!

• 64spokes Pro 60 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    1. Jun 1, 2011 10:44 PM (in response to Aaron96)
    Re: Best Marathon Training

I think that depends a great deal on what kind of running you're doing now.  How long have you been running?  What's your average week?  Your longest runs?

Often link to on here is Hal Higdon's website, with Marathon training programs for all levels. http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jun 2, 2011 9:46 AM (in response to Aaron96)

I would tell you to just do your 1st for completion.  The novice 2 is fairly easy also take a look at it.  I did not race/run a marathon for time until my 4th, that adds some additional stresses you don't need in your 1st.  A good  quote I like is "There will be days that you don't know if you can run a marathon...but there will be a life time of knowing that you have.  Marathons are all different, but each time you cross that finish line, you hunger for the next one...it's a great feeling of accomplishment!    I start my cycle this week for early Oct.  Good luck Phillip

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    4. Jun 3, 2011 6:43 AM (in response to Aaron96)

Hi Aaron,

Im training for my first marathon coming up September 24th 2011, I am using Runners World Smart Coach as a training program. Its similar to Higdons Marathon training but you can customize the program for your own level.

I think I would just concentrate on building up mileage and be able to finish the marathon. Right now Im up to 40 miles per week and my long run will be 17 miles.

Good Luck with the marathon and training keep us posted.

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points