Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2083 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 5:33 AM by Guy Grim RSS
Ghost Reaper Expert 41 posts since
Feb 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2011 6:12 PM

Training with Bad Allergies.  -- Looking for Help

Evening all,

Until recent I was able to run 5k's about 3 times a week.   Now I have the joy of chest congestion at about 0.6 miles followed by walking at about 1.8 miles.   I can still do my runs in about 35 minutes, but I hate the fact that I have to stop and walk.  I use claritin twice a day.

Anyone else have this problem and if you do any recommendations?   The heat is a bear as well.    I have to find a bigger water bottle and pick up a running hat pretty quick here.   Nothing like sun burn on a shaved head.

My Journey:

2/15/2011 My journey started at 270l lbs and the with little to no desire to ever run.

4/16/2011 Down over 15 lbs, one 5k under my belt and another coming fast. Maybe this running thing is for me.

4/23/2011 COMPLETED COUCH TO 5K -- By Fall I hope to run a 10K

5/05/2011 Down over 20 lbs. Come on baby keep on falling off.

7/14/2011 Started my 10K training

8/26/2011 Running 5mi and going strong to my 10K race.

9/8/2011 New 5K PR 00:30.45 Current 10K PR 1:07.19

9/15/2011 GRADUATE OF HAL HIGDON 10-K NOVICE TRAINING

9/26/2011 NEW 10K PR 0:58.48

Completed Races/Events:

Scheels Run for Home 5K - April 3rd, 2011 -- 37min 56 sec (12:13 pace) Sleet, Snow, Rain and towards the end Lightening. Air temp 36F FUN

Walk for Babies - March of Dimes April 16th, 2011

29th Annual Sole Burner 5K - May 7th, 2011 -- 34 min 15 sec (11:25 pace)

Oshkosh Dragon Boat Festival 10K -- September 24th, 2011 -- 59min 48secs (sub 10:00 pace)

Freak 5K - October 29th, 2011 -- 32mins 0 sec (damn cold)

Upcoming Races/Events:

Santa Scamper (1 Mile fun run)

Festival Food's Turkey Trot 5mi

Great 5-K, 10-K, Marathon Training Link to Hal Higdon:

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

I've had allergies all my life.

If you are really bad, you may want to consider going to a gym and running on a treadmill or buying your own.  If you're like me, though, you learn to suffer through survive with allergies.

First, make sure you shower immediately following your run.  Put the pollen-coated running clothes in the laundry room.

Second, have you tried a Neti pot?  That will clear the crud out of your sinuses.

Third, try another antihistamine, like Zyrtec.  I've found that antihistamines lose effectiveness over time, so I rotate around every so often.

Good luck (said with a stuffed-up nose).

SV

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• kjhashim Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Good to hear from other allergy sufferers.  I've had bad pollen allergies almost all my life as well, and I have been running regularly for the last 12+ years.  Fortunately for me, the very bad spring allergy season (generally April and May for me) seems to be over now.  But for most of the past 6+ weeks, along with showering immediately after my run and clearing out my nose with a neti pot with water and baking soda, I ran with a tissue or soft napkin stuffed up my nose.  Looks ridiculous, but my allergies are very bad at that time of year, and I hate treadmills and don't have access to any.  I would just rip off a portion of the tissue or napkin just big enough to stuff into my nostrils.  This helped my nose a lot.  My nose would have been dripping and sneezing constantly otherwise.  Now if there were something I could do for my eyes, which would often get really red and puffy by the end of my runs ...

As for the sun, I normally run at night during the week due to getting off work late, and on weekends, I head out for my run 40-60 minutes before sunset in order to avoid the sun.  When the weather was not so warm, I sometimes ran during the day on weekends with a baseball cap and coverings for my arms and neck.

Have either of you considered allergy shots?  I would like to get them in the longer term, but they are expensive and only partially covered by insurance, so I am saving up my money first.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,376 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    4. Jun 6, 2011 6:58 PM (in response to kjhashim)
    Re: Training with Bad Allergies. -- Looking for Help

Have you tried something like Flonase or Nasonex?  I used to get a lot of nasal discharge followed by really bad congestion, to the point that I could not breathe through my nose for weeks.  Since I started using Flonase that has gone away and the antihistamine I take (Zyrtec) seems more effective.  I doubt it would work if the problem is in your lungs but it has really relieved my nasal symptoms.

Len

Len

• JasonCR Pro 70 posts since
    Aug 30, 2008

I used to have tremendous post exercise induced allergies (PEIA, try google) like a truck ran over me for about 3-4 days afterward endless draining and sneezing awful to the point I'd miss a day of work -- here's what did the trick for me -- no caffeine (stimulant/irritant), no diet sodas (chemical drinks) or regular sodas for that matter, and avoid nuts (the #1 trigger food for allergies even if not allergic to nuts directly), and taking 1 Zyrtec (well a cheaper generic) each morning.  (Oddly, I'm reactive to Claritin.)  A daily sinus rinse helps dry up nasal drainage, which might run out the nose or post-nasal down the throat.  edit: I cut back to 1/2 Zyrtec pill only on the days I plan to run ... less groggy in the morning now.

Just Do It!

• Guy Grim Pro 61 posts since
    Nov 14, 2010

Hey Ghost..

Congrats on the Baby... Don't give up the running!  You look good at 250 - imagine 220:)

Training

656 Total Miles Since November 15, 2010 - 35 Miles YTD (1/20/12)

PR

5K - 27:46 (07/24/2011)

20K - 01:59:39 (09/05/2011)

13.1M - 02:08:58 (08/07/2011)

26.2M - TBD in 2012

Recent Races

Orange, CT - 5K Chilly Chili Run - Time of 29:07 - 1/1/2012

TeamGrimmy.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...