Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4800 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2011 7:00 PM by sugarrunner 1 2 Previous Next
CurvieRunnings Amateur 9 posts since
May 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2011 8:39 PM

Ready to move 285lbs of the couch and take it around the block. Any tips?

I'm new to the active.com family here. I've been browsing websites trying to find a program to get become more active. I've decided to re-start the c25k program. I started it previously and just got defeated bc of the pain. I know I'm a wuss but I need to get past this. This running experience is for physical and emotional health. I'm looking for a sense of accomplishment in knowing that I deserve to be healthy and that I can do this. I'm a big girl but have always secretly dreamed of running in marathons or distances and enjoying it.

I've downloaded a few different podcasts and I think I've finally found a few I like so I can change it up throughout the week.

I guess I'm looking for any tips or advice on how to motivate yourself to keep going. I apologize if I seem needy but I see success stories all the time, but few go into how they really overcome the voice in your head that says "there's no way a person 15 lbs away from 300lbs is gonna be running anywhere"

Thank you all in advance!

• Kath_e Rookie 8 posts since
    May 7, 2008

I completed the C25k just last week. My best advice...GO BY TIME. Don't worry about how far you are going, don't get hung up on that 3 mile mark just work on running/jogging what ever pace that is for you and work on doing that for like the C25k program says..1 minute, 2 minutes 5 minutes... whatever, till you are running for 30 minutes straight. In 30 minutes you may not be at 3 miles...you may only be at 2 mile...but so what...you just ran two miles!! Too many times I failed the C25k by getting hung up on pace and distance. This time around I just relaxed, repeated days as needed and saw it through to the end. You CAN do this!! Good Luck!!

Check me out at: http://kat5k.blogspot.com/

• hwkwyld Pro 81 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011

I agree with Kath, go by time.  The C25K program is training your body to run for 30 mins straight, speed will come but you must have the endurance first.  Vary you pace and run at what's comfortable to you.

Some keys that helped me complete the program (on my second attempt):

- First and Foremost, Get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.  Take your current shoes into a running store and have the sales people fit you for a new pair.  They will cost somewhere between $80-$120 but will save you pain and discomfort in the future.  This is really a must.

- You'll have good run days and bad run days.  Enjoy the good ones and shake off the bad ones.  Everyone has a bad run but it's the good ones that we remember (I can tell you exactly where I was on my street when I crossed the 5 mile run mark for the first time!)

- It's OK to look ahead at the program but don't dwell on what's coming.  Run each day as it's own.

- It's OK to redo days and/or weeks (Took me 11 weeks to finish the 9 week program)

- Push yourself.  You'll need to practice mind over matter.  Tell yourself you can and you will.  Each of us has a gremiln in our head that tells us to stop when it get hard or uncomfortable.  Push the little bugger aside, and run for an extra 10/15/30 seconds.  There's a sense of accomplishment in doing so.

- Set a goal.  If you want to run a 5K/10K/Half-Marathon or Full Marthon sign up for one.  It's great motivation when money's on the table.

- Don't use weight as a crutch/don't watch the scale.  When I started C25K I weighed 323lbs, completed the program at 295lbs and ran my first 5 miles at 290lbs.  Even for us bigger people it can be done.  Remember for each pound you lose you'll gain a second in speed, but don't dwell on the scale.  The weight will come off just give it time.

- HAVE FUN!

- Use these forums as motivation and a place to vent.  We want to share your victories and help you cope with those "bad run days".  Anyone who's finished the day you're on knows what you're going through.  Use their experience.

I hope this helps.  I've hated to run all my life until this year.  I can't believe I've waited so long to do something and I can't believe how much fun I'm having doing it.  Good luck and keep us posted!

2012:

1/29 - Ice Breakers Tri: 51:15

Swim (400Y) - 7:46; Bike (10 Miles) - 20:20; Run (2 Miles) - 23:09

2/11 - Red Flannel Run (5 Miles): 1:01:45

5/20 - Bluff Creek Triathlon (Sprint)

6/10 - Trinona Triathlon (International)

6/24 - Copper Creek Triathlon (Sprint)

10/21 - Des Moines Marathon

• TSRunner Pro 85 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011

Like you, I've secretly dreamed of running for years! I subsribe to "Runner's World", and I buy running shoes every year (yea, and I don't even run...so sad)! I'm ready to stop dreaming and start doing! I start tomorrow, June 7th, at 5am sharp. Slow or not, tired or not, fat or not, I'm DOING THIS! And, oh yea, I'm 205lbs! I've never weighed this much before, and with every day and second, I can feel myself drifting into this very dark and lonely place. NO MORE!

YOU CAN DO THIS, and so can I! So let's keep in touch, and keep each other inspired! Before you know it, we'll be entering our first marathon! WOOHOO!!!!

"The Greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do." - Walter Bagehot

http://onbecomingarunner.blogspot.com/

• One Determined Chickie Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011

Hi Curvie,

I'm right there with you.  All 6'1 331 lbs of me.  I have been walking for about a month now, and just frequently through natual progression find myself running.  I want to run longer, and for distance.  I am a reformed smoker, and am pretty sure my lungs are hating me right about now.  I have never in my life been able to run 1 mile, and that is my goal.  I recently discovered the C25K as an app for my ipod, and will acutally be downloading it to my iphone later this week.    Good luck to you in your journey.  I'm about to leave the house now, in the SC heat and sweat my tushie off... loving every minute of it.

Stacy!

Stacy

One Determined Chickie

• TSRunner Pro 85 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011

I love that definition of Insanity....and yea, I've been one insane chic! LOL

Yes, let's do this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm here for you all the way!

"The Greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do." - Walter Bagehot

http://onbecomingarunner.blogspot.com/

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009

I am with you, Curvie.  I start a Learn to Run class on Saturday.  I weigh about 280.  I need to check to see where I am starting.  I've been avoiding checking.  I just finshed graduate school and have decided its time to get my health/weight under control.  I am frustrated and embarassed at how big I have gotten.  Too much homwork and couch sitting.  I'll be about a week behind you, but I'm right there with you through this.  I have tried and nearly completed C25K a couple of times, but have battled injuries so this time I am hoping to avoid that with the Learn to run class.  So here goes,

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• JasonGreene0 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 9, 2011

The idea about signing up for a 5k, well in advance, is a good one.  Money is a motivation, even if its only the $20 or $25 registration fee.   If you've never been to see a 5k (or marathon or full marathon), try to go see one.   It is VERY inspring to see people of all shapes and sizes and ages participating.   Some run, and some walk, but most of them do finish.   And that's the important thing.   I've come to the conlusion that I'm never EVER going to win a race.  But I will finish.   And finishing a 5k (even if I have to walk more than I wanted to),  is a very cool accomplishment indeed.   Think about all the people who wont even try!   You can do it, just take it easy and skip a day if ya need to.   Hang in there!!!

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011

I graduated C25k about a month ago and I've continued to run longer and farther - it really gets easier and easier once you get over the hump.

The best thing to do is concentrate how you feel when you finish the run - the pride and satisfaction and runner's glow you get after its over. Don't think about how you feel during the first few weeks of running. It's addictive and gets you out the door.

The biggest thing is GOOOOOOOOOO SLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW. Even if you feel you are going super slow you may be going to fast for what you can do right now. You should be able to finish your runs without being ready to keel over or be wheezing like a drunk porpoise. Slow and steady is the rule. Speed will come later as your fitness improves and your weight decreases.

One month after C25k I'm running 3 miles four times a week and a long run of 5-7 miles on Sunday. I've lost 45 pounds so far with 80 still to go but I'm running faster and easier every week. Trust me - if I can do this - YOU CAN DO THIS!

Now go out there and kick some asphalt!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011

Curvie

LOL! thanks for the complement - but you can do much better than me! Look for a skinny me.

THAT'S IT!!! THAT'S IT!!!!

First there was "Mini-me!" Now there will be "Skinny-me!'

Any cadaverous marathoners I can adopt as my clone?????

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This