Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1726 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2011 12:31 PM by StickingToIt
Sfdff20 Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2011 6:42 AM

New, overweight and determined!

Hello all!!

I am new to the running scene and have gotten through 3 days of the C25K program and I am determined to finish it out. Just gets tough carrying around the extra 40+lbs of dead weight. I am 30 and while not the most athletic or active person, I have just come to realize that carrying all this weight is doing nothing more than commiting me to an early departure (if you catch my drift). So seeing there are others that seem to be in the same boat but have taken steps to better their lives inside and out which is awesome!! Hopefully with a little luck, a lot of determination, and of course commitment to change I am sure I will be there too!!

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    1. Jun 6, 2011 7:52 AM (in response to Sfdff20)
    Re: New, overweight and determined!

You can do it.  We are all in the same boat, more or less, and if I can do it, so can you.  Just go at your own pace and take your time and the weight will start to come off, and your breathing will get easier, and the runs will get longer.  I am in Week 8 now and I can't believe the results.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Simon

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• StickingToIt Expert 43 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    2. Jun 6, 2011 8:01 AM (in response to Alder2011)

I am new here too...so, the breathing gets easier? I think I struggle with that more than anything! I just started the C25K on Saturday. I felt really good after, but wonder how it will be when I have to run longer than 60 seconds! And in Atlanta heat at that! Whew!

Anyway, I agree, many of us are in the same boat. Its great there is a place to get support!

“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” - Andy Warhol

Upcoming Events

9/18/11 - The Iron Horse 15K & The 5K Express -  REGISTERED!!!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    3. Jun 6, 2011 8:34 AM (in response to StickingToIt)

@ StickingToIt: Welcome from one Atlanta runner to another (I'm in Marietta).  Get used to running in the heat - that's what its all about in Atlanta, heat and hills!

Good luck to the OP and the others just starting out.  Running is hard and that's a fact!   My number one advice is don't rush it.  If all goes well (which is what we're hoping for, of course) you'll be running for a lifetime.  And to do that you need to stay injury free and not burn yourself out.   Its not an easy fix, because running takes a great deal of conditioning, patience, and discipline.   And you still have to watch your diet if you want to lose weight.  But the rewards of consistent, gradually increasing effort pay off more than you can imagine.  It gets "easier" once you get into shape, but running is never "easy"....and that is why you will love it.  It is an ongoing challenge that will change your life if you make it a permanent part of your lifestyle.   Welcome to the running world!

Apr 8, 2011
    4. Jun 6, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to StickingToIt)

The breathing definitely gets easier.  I was so worried about that from the beginning.  I couldn't believe what the program was promising me.  I was in denial.  But once I started and found that it is not about speed, it is just about keeping moving.  Any time previous to starting C25K, and I tried to run, I would wear out very quickly, and would pant and wheeze, and feel horrible.  After I realized that jogging slowly at the beginning and struggling with the 60 second jogs was a stepping stone to better things.  I was going at a snails pace.  Heck, I still am going that slow, but I am going that slow for longer periods of time now.  When I did W8D1 last Thursday, I was jogging at an 11 minute mile pace.  If I try to go any faster than that at this point, I would have to stop after just a few minutes, but I can go 28 minutes at that pace right now.  But it doesn't matter how far I go, it just matters that I keep going.  The sooner you learn to slow down, and just go as slow as you need to in order to finish the intervals, the faster you will see results and be happy about them.  Just wait till you get to your first 20 minute run.  I think it's W5D3.  You will swear up and down that you won't be able to do it, but then you will do it, and it will be wonderful. 

Good luck and Stick To It.

Simon

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

Jun 2, 2011
    5. Jun 6, 2011 9:46 AM (in response to Alder2011)

-Marykb - Thanks for the welcome! I guess I will deal with the heat by getting up early.

-Simon - Wow! Now I am getting excited!

It is so neat to have people encouraging eachother! I have tried this many times before on my own, but always lost my motivation. I definately go slow. Everyone seems to know their pace...how do you figure that out?

“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” - Andy Warhol

Upcoming Events

• fourtennessee Amateur 10 posts since
    May 29, 2011
    6. Jun 6, 2011 9:57 AM (in response to StickingToIt)

Hi Stickingtoit and others!  I saw your post and thought I wrote it! HA! My tag line on my blog and description is old, out of shape, and determined!  I'm a little older than you coming in at 36.  I just complete W2D1 last night and it was good and bad!  It ALWAYS feel so great after, but in the middle, I think I'm crazy!  Keep up the determination and when it's hard come here for encouragement! YAY US for doing something about our health!!

C25K-Started May 29, 2011

http://community.active.com/blogs/fourtennessee

Apr 8, 2011
    7. Jun 6, 2011 10:48 AM (in response to StickingToIt)

About pace, I guess I figure it out using my breathing.  If I can't breathe, or am losing my breath, I am obviously going to fast.  Some people on here say you should be able to hold a conversation with someone that is running with you.  I don't like using that as a pace setter because even when I feel great, I have a hard time holding a conversation.  Maybe it's because my nose is always stuffed from allergies and I have to use my mouth and can't use it for conversation.  As far as finding the "too slow" pace, there isn't one.  If all you can do at the beginning is walk, then walk.  You will eventually quicken into a jog and from then on, I would use your breathing as an indicator.  If you feel like you are getting quicker in your breathing, try not to stop, but do try to slow down.  It wiill help, trust me.........Simon Says.......:)

I am in North Carolina, so I know what that heat is like that you speak of.  I hate it.  I haven't ran outside in 2 weeks because of it.  I am getting used to using the treadmill at work.  The heat can play a huge factor in your breathing as well, which might make some days slower than others, and chilly days much quicker.  Just hang in there and you will find your pace.

Simon

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    8. Jun 6, 2011 12:02 PM (in response to Sfdff20)

Welcome folks!  And congrats on starting C25K.  I think Simon really said all that needed to be said.  I am also on week 8.  8 weeks ago I couldn't have run a block if a bear was chasing me, but now I run for 28 minutes with no problem.  Just trust the program, don't go too fast (that will come later) and come to these boards often for motivation.  I truely believe If it weren't for the support from the people here that I wouldn't be where I am now.  My advice is to get into an active thread of people at about the same point in the program as you are and keep each other accountable.  It makes all the difference.

StickingToIt - I have started to REALLY pay attention to how I feel during each run.  My breathing is never the problem anymore.  It used to be though.  Also, my legs are fine too.  The challenge for me now is totally mental!  Also, I just get physically tired so I need to look more at my fueling (eating) to fix that problem if I want to run longer distances.  It will all come together for you if you just commit to sticking with it.  (which, by your screen name, I can see that you have...  lol)

Happy running

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

Jun 2, 2011
    9. Jun 6, 2011 12:31 PM (in response to jliller3)

Week 8...you guys are pros!

I thought maybe my screen name would inspire me to keep going through the whole program. If I don't it would set a bad example if I keep posting. ha ha

It seems like a great community here, so I plan to check in often. I have my W1D2 run tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get up early before my husband leaves for work! Otherwise it will be a hot evening run for me! I figure I will get there one step at a time. Looks like many people have survived. I found a 5K to sign up for in September, so I plan to go sign up so I have a goal to keep me moving forward. Thanks for the encouragement! I will look for a group that has started recently and stick with them.

Upcoming Events

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...