Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2336 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 11:10 AM by lynna065
DreadPirateJeff Rookie 4 posts since
Apr 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2011 8:11 AM

Nausea during a short run?

Today I did the end of Week 5 of the C25K program which is the first extended run.  It's 5m warm up walk, 20m running and 5m cool down walk.  Where I run is moderately hilly and there are quite a few up hill stretches that I have to slow down on.  I'm 215, starting to get into shape, and have only been running since March.  I'm an ex-smoker (about a year and a half smoke-free) and have a touch of asthma.

So anyway, I attempted the straight 20 minute run today.  Historically, the longest I've run before stopping to walk a bit was 12 minutes, and that was during my first 5K race back in April.

Today, I made it to 11 minutes and I had to stop because I got nauseus and started gagging and coughing.  Prior to running this morning, I had about 10 oz of water, 2 puffs on my inhaler (doctor advised me to do two puffs of albuterol before exercise), and a energy gel pack, the water and gel were about 15 - 20 minutes prior to running.

So I was wondering, what causes the nausea?  Could it be I need to hydrate and get some sugar in me earlier than 15 - 20 mintues?  Or perhaps the fact that 10 minutes is longer than I've done before around my home (my 5K 12 minute best was on very flat terrain, whereas the area I normally run is all rolling hills).  Is there anything I could do to try to not get nauseus while running that extended period?

I'm thinking that I'll have to go back and re-do week 5 again and build back up to 20 minutes and see if that makes a differnce.  I ran today, but my last run was this past thursday.  I wasn't able to run this weekend when I "should" have done the 20 minute run because of travel and lack of time to myself.  So maybe it was just the 4 day break is a factor.

Anyhow, I thought I'd ask what y'all think about this.  Is nausea with this much first time running normal?  Any tips to fight it off?

Cheers,

jeff

RaceOverall PlaceDivision PlaceTime
2011 Oak Island Lighthouse 5K 124 of 263 6 of 8 33:09

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    1. Jun 7, 2011 3:55 PM (in response to DreadPirateJeff)
    Re: Nausea during a short run?

I have gotten a little pukey-feeling a few times running as well.  It seemed to occur when I drank too much water during the run itself.  I'm betting that it's because you're running only a short while after drinking a substantial amount of water.  I'd try drinking it an hour before you leave and see if that helps.  Also, the longer running time may have contributed to it.  The jump is pretty big time-wise for W5D3- any time I've gotten pukey, it's been towards the end of a run.

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• lynna065 Amateur 65 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Aug 16, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to DreadPirateJeff)

I wish I knew.  I barfed after both of the 5k's I've run.  The most recent one was Saturday.  I was heaving so hard I ended up walking to the finish.  I know for the most recent one I was not really prepared.

Training Log

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    3. Aug 16, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to DreadPirateJeff)

having food in your stomach for short runs is unnecessary and can lead to nausea.  Try to eat 30 minutes to an hour before you plan to run.  Also, hydrate the night before and 30 to 60 minutes before a run.  If you are running for less than 60 minutes and it is not extremely hot, you shouldn't need anything during the run.  When you are working your body hard, all of your energy goes into keeping moving.  Sometimes, there is is not energy left to digetst food.  Your stomach does not want stuff just hanging out in there, so...up it comes.  I'm not an expert, just got all this from mine and others experience.

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

Dec 14, 2007
    4. Aug 16, 2011 9:11 AM (in response to jliller3)

For me, food was not the problem.  I had had a cup of coffee and ate a little bit of cherry cobbler at around 5:30 am and the 5k began at 8:45, 40 minutes later, bleh.....stomach was pretty empty - mostly dry heaves.

Training Log

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    5. Aug 16, 2011 9:50 AM (in response to lynna065)

It sounds like over-exertion caused the nausea during your 5K.  You mentioned you weren't prepared for the race--I assume that means you weren't running very regularly in the months/weeks leading up to the race.  In addition to the over-exertion, you were probably experiencing an endorphin rush due to a combination of effort, anxiety, and race excitement.  That too can lead to nausea.

The best prevention is to run regularly in the weeks before a race, and practice moving at race pace for shorter intervals, so that your body gets accustomed to your race-level effort.  If you start experiencing any dizziness, lightheadedness, or stomach discomfort during a race, try easing up on your pace to lower your effort level.  Lastly, cool down at the end of the race!  Keep jogging a little past the finish line; if you're running full speed for 3.1 miles and then you suddenly stop, your heart rate and blood pressure could plummet, and then the dizziness/dry heaves could start.

Good luck, and run healthy!

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 16, 2011 11:10 AM (in response to Terranss)

Yeah, it was kind of a last minute decision to do it.  My daughter had asked me if I wanted to run with her.  I knew I could run a mile and a half which turned into 2 and then 3, but those last couple of feet were not good,  It was also hot for that last mile, the area was asphalt with tall grasses on both sides of the road. Anyway it was still fun. I had been keeping up with my weight training, just not my running.  I was surprised how sore I was't the next day, just my quads a little bit.

Training Log

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...